Storing Beer In A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
I don't know if this is posted in the right forum and I have tried doing a search for storing kegs but can only seem to find storing bottles so am hoping for some advise please.

I just want to know the best way to store beer in a keg but not refridgerated. I have read that if stored above 5 degrees then there is a risk of fermentation starting again but have also seen that if you carbonate the keg it should store for a long time unrefridgerated provided you regularly check the pressure.

I have 6 kegs but only room in the fridge for 3 so was hoping to be able to place some in storage.

Burp the keg to get rid of Oxygen after a quick squirt of Co2 can always carbonate up when fridge space becomes available not like 3 kegs will last very long with taps on the end calling out "Drink Me " :mellow:

burp the keg with CO2 and try to place in a cool spot / out of direct heat. During the last few weeks I have had a keg stored like that, cooled it down and started drinking it last night.

...I have read that if stored above 5 degrees then there is a risk of fermentation starting again but have also seen that if you carbonate the keg it should store for a long time unrefridgerated provided you regularly check the pressure.

Only an issue if fermentation was not complete in the first place.

Best not to continually chill them, then let them warm back up to room temp, however some of my kegs get this treatment as I also can't fit then all into the one fridge.

Other than the above, the coolest spot in the house is ideal.

Thanks everyone. I was really hoping it would be something as easy as that :)

Cheers :beer:

Back