Stone and wood pacific

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm off to Coffs this weekend and the aim is to drop in for a pint, I've found it like Fat Yak - could be great, could be ordinary. Hoping is best from the source.

Gday Folks, iI've just seen this and need to clarify a couple of things....

My Name is Scott Hargrave and i am indeed Head Brewer at Byron Bay Brewing Co and have been so for just on a year...

I was a Senior Brewer at S& W for 4 years , not Master brewer (they dont have one, but Brad Rogers my old boss is Head Brewer and would be that person) and am still proud to say i was S&W's 1st full time employee, starting in Sept 2009...

I did not, repeat did not develop the original Pacific Ale recipe and have never claimed to have done so, that was Brads stroke of genius....what i did do was brew oceans of Pac Ale( i was making this beer back when it was still called draught ale) and work my arse off to build the beers up to a level and ensure as best i could the consistancy and quality of all the S&W beers while still trying to keep up with demand, keep it all running, staying on track etc etc....

As for being un impressed with upping production etc, well, not really, but having worked insanely long hours (60 usually, up to 75 at times) for 4 years, which was growing into 24hr production and a move to a new site 45 mins up the road meant i was not putting my family first which is always the most important thing a bloke must do...in a way i was probably the first casualty of Pac Ale's success, success that i am incredibly proud to have played my part in.....I wish nothing but the best for S & W and all the good people who work there...

These days i spend my time slowly but surely tweaking and improving the beers at Byron Bay Brewing Co and also bringing a stronger craft beer focus to this place.It will take time. I'm working hard on bringing this place into the fold to fully embrace and be embraced by the wider craft beer community and the local craft beer scene in particular.I must tip my hat to all the great folks and venues and breweries in the Brisbane craft beer scene who,while a lot of them knew of my past, have been very welcoming and supportive of what im trying to do in my new challenge ...I'm still fighting the good fight Let me be clear that The Byron Bay Brewing Co is not a front for mega beer and i am not a CUB stormtrooper in disguise as someone said to me a while back....jeez, if S & W was becoming too big for me why the hell would i work for the real big guys??...Byron Bay Brewing Co is Independently owned and operated. Yes, the Pale Lager and only the Pale lager brand is licensed and produced elsewhere.I also produce Pale Lager onsite for our own draught stock at the bar. All the beers on tap at Byron BayBrewery & Buddah Bar is brewed onsite by myself. Same goes for all our beers when on tap at Archive, Embassy Hotel , Scratch Bar, BOSC, Bittersuite,Bine Beer Bar and others to follow.....

Hope this has cleared a few things up, apologies if it comes across as a thread hijack, thats not the intention....
And im always happy to talk beer with AHBer's when you visit us....

long live great beer, wherever you may find it....

Cheers
Scott

For me, Pacific Ale is a sensational beer. Insanely quaffable.

Furthermore it is a perfect bridge to craft for megaswillers as it doesn't hit hard with any of the ingredients.

I love this beer, it's such a good summer session beer - especially if you can get it as fresh as possible. It's also the one I've worked hardest on cloning (with some success in the form of a passable kit + bits clone and a pretty good extract one too). I love galaxy hops for that passionfruit hit and the light lager-ish body of the Pacific Ale really lets them shine through.

Awesome to hear from you Scott, it's cool to get the perspective of someone that was in the thick of it. Do you have any hints for as to the grains that might go into a homebrewed clone?

Forever Wort said:
For me, Pacific Ale is a sensational beer. Insanely quaffable.

Furthermore it is a perfect bridge to craft for megaswillers as it doesn't hit hard with any of the ingredients.
You are more than entitled to your opinion, but in my own experience mega swill mates go straight back to the mega swill after trying Pac Ale. A decent apa, kolsch or American wheat however has them coming back for more. For me its just too thin and lacks any malt backbone or any real complexity. If you like it, fair enough. I just don't get the hype

I find it full of hops with a nice clean malt backbone. Great to quaff on a summers day. Id have to disagree though, I dont think it would be a bridge for mega swill drinkers. I think it has far too many hops for those kind of people.

Hargie said:
Gday Folks, iI've just seen this and need to clarify a couple of things....

My Name is Scott Hargrave and i am indeed Head Brewer at Byron Bay Brewing Co and have been so for just on a year...

I was a Senior Brewer at S& W for 4 years , not Master brewer (they dont have one, but Brad Rogers my old boss is Head Brewer and would be that person) and am still proud to say i was S&W's 1st full time employee, starting in Sept 2009...

I did not, repeat did not develop the original Pacific Ale recipe and have never claimed to have done so, that was Brads stroke of genius....what i did do was brew oceans of Pac Ale( i was making this beer back when it was still called draught ale) and work my arse off to build the beers up to a level and ensure as best i could the consistancy and quality of all the S&W beers while still trying to keep up with demand, keep it all running, staying on track etc etc....

As for being un impressed with upping production etc, well, not really, but having worked insanely long hours (60 usually, up to 75 at times) for 4 years, which was growing into 24hr production and a move to a new site 45 mins up the road meant i was not putting my family first which is always the most important thing a bloke must do...in a way i was probably the first casualty of Pac Ale's success, success that i am incredibly proud to have played my part in.....I wish nothing but the best for S & W and all the good people who work there...

These days i spend my time slowly but surely tweaking and improving the beers at Byron Bay Brewing Co and also bringing a stronger craft beer focus to this place.It will take time. I'm working hard on bringing this place into the fold to fully embrace and be embraced by the wider craft beer community and the local craft beer scene in particular.I must tip my hat to all the great folks and venues and breweries in the Brisbane craft beer scene who,while a lot of them knew of my past, have been very welcoming and supportive of what im trying to do in my new challenge ...I'm still fighting the good fight Let me be clear that The Byron Bay Brewing Co is not a front for mega beer and i am not a CUB stormtrooper in disguise as someone said to me a while back....jeez, if S & W was becoming too big for me why the hell would i work for the real big guys??...Byron Bay Brewing Co is Independently owned and operated. Yes, the Pale Lager and only the Pale lager brand is licensed and produced elsewhere.I also produce Pale Lager onsite for our own draught stock at the bar. All the beers on tap at Byron BayBrewery & Buddah Bar is brewed onsite by myself. Same goes for all our beers when on tap at Archive, Embassy Hotel , Scratch Bar, BOSC, Bittersuite,Bine Beer Bar and others to follow.....

Hope this has cleared a few things up, apologies if it comes across as a thread hijack, thats not the intention....
And im always happy to talk beer with AHBer's when you visit us....

long live great beer, wherever you may find it....

Cheers
Scott
Hi Scott.

Looks like I'm the jerk you had to clarify.

My apologies. I got a couple of things wrong. At the time I was with a group of mates, and I'd sampled about 2 of each of your offerings on tap at the Buddha bar, and for some reason we were following a funk band around for a couple of days. Beats me.. I start mixing things up a bit during a good bender.

Anyway I just wanted to stop by and thank you for doing an amazing job. I had one of the best nights I've had in recent memory down in that part of the world you call home, and your hard work and dedication to the love of beer doesn't go unappreciated, even if it might get drunkenly misquoted occasionally.

I loved the red mid strength you were making, and the chili choc porter.

Keep up the good work.

Many thanks, Some drunken buffoon.

...hahaha....no worries mate, thanks for the comments....it really does make it worthwhile when people enjoy what you do.....

....so , the lowest strength beer and the highest strength beer were the fave's ?......youre not a middle of the road kinda guy are you...hahahah

....mate thats gold...come in and say g'day next time you're in Byron....

cheers
Scott

Back