Stone and wood pacific

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhlt1210

Reaction score
G'day guys as a lover of my galaxy hops I finally found a six pack of this Pacific ale at the bottle shop. I was a little disappointed with it. The taste was good but way over carbonated for an ale in my opinion. I'm no expert by the way but I'm a fan of low to very mid carbonation. But I guess the taste was there so I shouldn't complain!

I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Pacific Ale. I find it a bit bland, possibly prefer a little more bitterness and flavour. I keep trying it every so often but always find myself a bit dissapointed.

I've only had it from the bottle.

I've had it from bottle and it was enjoyable however from tap when it's fresh it is far better. So much more flavour and so much cleaner in my opinion.

Fro memory I can't say it was over carbed any times I've had it but could easily depend on bottle/temperature and location.

I have always found it a bit pissweak.
Then again its coming from the pissweak capital, what to expect from drop-outs, bums and cashed up hipsters.

hwall95 said:
I've had it from bottle and it was enjoyable however from tap when it's fresh it is far better. So much more flavour and so much cleaner in my opinion.

Fro memory I can't say it was over carbed any times I've had it but could easily depend on bottle/temperature and location.
i have found the oppsite and rather have a bottle of it than risk out of the keg...

often i feel it's over carbed off the kegs and lacking in flavour = maybe old kegs and not looking after the beer / beer lines in "slow" venues

i often grab a sixer if heading somewhere, it's a resonable thrist quencher for $20

I kinda get why beer lovers hate on S&W but I really resent it at the same time.
This is a fantastic beer. Exceptionally well made, balance of flavour and great hop character.
I always say to swill drinkers that Pacific Ale is a gateway drug. This is a beer for people yet to experience the world that is beer. Aimlessly skulling their way through misery swill they saunter along the yellow lager road blissfully unaware of the joy that they're missing.
Then BANG! Galaxy hits them across their sweat beaded brow.
What's this? It looks like beer, but it has something in it. Could it be flavour? I don't know Barry, I've never had that before.
And so begins the journey of another convert.

I still order this beer from time to time because sometimes I'm in that mood. It's not really a beer for seasoned IPA drinkers but nor does it attest to be.
Just be thankful that people are switching to this from CUB/Lion.

I agree and I call it a soft drink for that very reason. It's frigging delicious & I reckon half the people hating on it are the same people for whom bitter beers are just a pissing contest. Who cares how hot you like your curry?

Actually I don't like it because I find it lacking in malt character depth and I don't like the passionfruit of the galaxy hops.
I'd not call it a bad beer - just not to my tastes.

I'm 21, a new brewer, still not up to the really bitter stuff, basically the definition of the guy a lot of seasoned brewers and drinkers hate! I do hate mega swill though and am a craft beer lover and a big fan of flavour. I absolutely love this beer and have only had it a few times on tap in summer, it's light, easy to drink and when you put it up against any big name Lager I think it kills it, definitely a good gateway to better beer

Still has its place for sure, has to be fresh though.

I just brewed 50L of this for grand final day last night, it will go down a treat there and means I can run a 35 IBU+ beer on another tap!

I think it's an absolutely brilliantly developed beer (not necessarily a favourite of mine, except it is a little) and if it had backing of marketing and production resources like Mountain Goat, Little Creatures or Matilda Bay, it would surely be a pub favourite due to its not quite being a traditional pub ale and not quite the modern flavourous (is that a word?) crafty that many home brewers and beer connoisseurs are used to. It certainly has the potential to be FatYak popular.

heyhey said:
I think it's an absolutely brilliantly developed beer (not necessarily a favourite of mine, except it is a little) and if it had backing of marketing and production resources like Mountain Goat, Little Creatures or Matilda Bay, it would surely be a pub favourite due to its not quite being a traditional pub ale and not quite the modern flavourous (is that a word?) crafty that many home brewers and beer connoisseurs are used to. It certainly has the potential to be FatYak popular.
Its one of my favourites at the moment, but has to be on tap. I usually meander down to west end on a weekend where locknload and archive both have it kegged up and ready to go.

Little Creatures actually has 20% share in Stone and Wood. That's how they're getting out and around the traps. Little creatures in turn are owned by Lion and Lion by Kirin. They have the backing to get out as much as they need to.

I've been to Byron recently and their stubbies are in most bottle shops and the handful of restaurants I wandered into. Garden ale is awesome but nearly impossible to find away from Byron.

Now the funny thing is, I went to Byron Bay Brewery, a couple of Kay's away from stone and wood. There i met the guy who used to be s&w's master brewerbrewer, who came up with the pacific ale recipe. He left the company about 18 months ago, as he wasn't too impressed with the way s&w were upping production and heading into the commercial world.

Both breweries make fantastic beers. While I was at Byron bay brewing I sampled a red midstrength ale, a dark Belgian with chili and choc notes and a pale ale. All awesome, but different from his previous work at sw.

Just don't be fooled if you see a case Byron bay brewing co at your local. Its brewed under licence at cub and doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. I won't make that mistake again.

MrChoat said:
Little Creatures actually has 20% share in Stone and Wood. That's how they're getting out and around the traps. Little creatures in turn are owned by Lion and Lion by Kirin. They have the backing to get out as much as they need to.
not any more., they bought that share back when LC were bought out.

have a listen to this podcast to find out how S&W has been so successful:
http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2012/10/rbn-has-beer-with-brad/

Yeah, MrChoat - S&W buying back the yard was old news when Kirin-Lion megalithitic swill producers bought out LC. Probably should have done some extra research before posting that comment, though given it was plastered all over brews news, beer and brewer and most beer-related media (and some mainstream related media), I'm not sure how it could have been missed.

One

Two

Three

Four

And so on.

I've read here many people talking about S&W pacific ale. I couldn't be more underwhelmed. If this is supposed to be some sort of benchmark I've obviously missed something. I don't like wheats at the best of times but fair dinkum this over-priced hipster swill gets on my noni. It is a wheat isn't it?

I think there is some wheat in the grist but it uses a neutral ale yeast

Vini2ton said:
I've read here many people talking about S&W pacific ale. I couldn't be more underwhelmed. If this is supposed to be some sort of benchmark I've obviously missed something. I don't like wheats at the best of times but fair dinkum this over-priced hipster swill gets on my noni. It is a wheat isn't it?
From my knowledge it's in the 50% wheat range?

I love it on tap. Bottled, the jasper ale is their best I reckon.

Latest posts

Back