Stone and Wood Pacific Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobtheBrewer

Reaction score
I have tried several published recipes in an attempt to replicate this beer, with zero result. The most obvious difference between what I have produced and the original product is the pale, almost yellow, colour. If I could achieve that, then I could start working on the flavour and aroma. Any hints boys and girls?

The grist is mainly ale malt, with a bit of wheat malt, bitter with pacifica and aroma/dry with galaxy

vittorio said:
The grist is mainly ale malt, with a bit of wheat malt, bitter with pacifica and aroma/dry with galaxy
I'm not sure about the latest iteration, but as per one of their ex brewers, it should be 60/40 Ale and Wheat malt
All Galaxy, mostly late/dry
Fermented with US05
It may have changed over time, though

It's definitely changed over time [emoji22]

Claypot,

Haven't seen that recipe. Not familiar with the term "mash hop".
I haven't heard of Cloud Catcher, I assume that it is fairly new.

Thanks Vittorio.

sp0rk,

I haven't tried the 60/40, not that keen on wheat, but if it does the job I am adaptable. I have used only Galaxy @ 10, 0 and dry hop.
I BIAB and no chill so I favour late additions.[

I made a Galaxy session IPA a little while ago that happened to have a very similar appearance to pacific ale, and an aroma that reminded me of the first time I tried it. 70% BB Ale, 30% BB Wheat, 3g/L Galaxy flowers at 20mins and 2g/L dry hop fermented with US-05 for 4.7% ABV.

Birkdale Bob said:
Claypot,

Haven't seen that recipe. Not familiar with the term "mash hop".
I haven't heard of Cloud Catcher, I assume that it is fairly new.

Thanks Vittorio.

sp0rk,

I haven't tried the 60/40, not that keen on wheat, but if it does the job I am adaptable. I have used only Galaxy @ 10, 0 and dry hop.
I BIAB and no chill so I favour late additions.[
I hadn't heard of mashing with the hops ether - I think it means to put the hop flowers in the mash. I gather it will impart flavour rather that bitterness?
I tried the cloud catcher at a Adelaide brews and BBQ festival, was one of my favourites, maybe it's a seasonal beer they put out?

Cloud catcher came out sometime in 2014, I've not found it that appealing personally but haven't tried it since around the launch.

Mash hopping is well-explained here: http://byo.com/hops/item/1122-mash-hopping-techniques I've tried it before when some English styles have called for it, but from the resulting beers it doesn't seem to be a particularly effective or efficient way to impart hop flavour. Would love to hear from those who have used it successfully.

Back