Stir Plate Advice Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

Reaction score
Well Christmas is almost here and I thought I'd request a commercial stir plate.

I'm looking at this number here:
Stir Plate

and a couple of pivot stir bars:
Magnetic stirring bar cylindrical with pivot ring PTFE 60 x 8.5mm
Magnetic stirring bar cylindrical with pivot ring PTFE 45 x 6mm

I'd like comments on stir plate grunt if anyone has one of these units and stir bar size. I double batch and usually do 2 litre and 4 litre starters.

Will this unit drive a 4 litre starter comfortably? And are the bar sizes ok for my flasks (i think from memory the smaller is a 3 l and the bigger 5 l).

Just make one dude. Its fun and easy. Just make sure u use a DSE, 500 Ohm 3W wire-wound pot and rare earth magnets. The lot cost about $15 and it stirs 2 litre starters easy.

Check out this thread http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...5191&st=420

DSC00046.JPGDSC00047.JPGDSC00048.JPG

Apologies, stir plate link managed to drop a digit.

And yes, I could build one but... well... it's Christmas. Better than getting socks.

Take 2.

Working link

And some insurance:
Mag_stirrer.jpg

"Magnetic Stirrer, with electronic speed control from approx.150 to
1500 RPM. Strong magnet stirs effectively up to the viscosity of
glycerine. Rectangular plate, 200x180mm, is epoxy coated to
resist corrosion. Front panel provides user with the mains on/off
switch and speed control."

That looks identical to mine.

Easily stirs 5L starters. Picture is of my 3L conical, i also have a 5 and a 6L flask! :beerbang:

StarterandGB.jpg

If money is not a problem buy one,everyone here would love one like that.

The rest of us peasants will build our own,and some of us like me enjoy that.

Batz

I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed by others.

I'm all for buying stuff (especially when Kev07 says its ok) but building your own stirplate is both cheap and satisfying.

do a search for the thread labelled tight arse stir plate .. heaps of build ideas on there...

Small hijack

I've just built a stir plate and tried to give it a test run last weekend, but had a small problem, the stir bar wouldn't spin.....

How far apart should you have your magnets for a 30mm and 70mm stir bar, i'm thinking this is the problem

Rook

First question: did you make sure that your magnets are arranged with one N up and the other S up?

Regarding spacing, if you used rare earth magnets then the spacing isn't terribly critical. If you use disc magnets that are 20mm or more in diameter then put them at least 40mm apart (edge-edge spacing). The 30mm bar will still couple to them quite strongly and the 70mm will overlap them for even stronger coupling.

Mitchell: to address your original question regarding "grunt". I'm not sure how that commercial unit is rated, but I used a 1W computer fan to build mine and it has enough grunt.

If money is not a problem buy one,everyone here would love one like that.

The rest of us peasants will build our own,and some of us like me enjoy that.

Batz

Some of us cant build things to save ourselves. I think we are called tool-tards.

The most handyman moment of the year for me was when my partner asked me for a brick that was half the size of the one she was holding.

I hit it with a hammer.

Back on topic, this is a lab grade stirrer that allows you to adjust the speed. I use it not just for starters but also when mixing gelatine or polyclar.

I have had 5L starters on there and at full speed i have a vortex from top to bottom :super:

If you can't build it...... buy it (and vise-versa)

The comments above on saving ~$250 make sense, spend it on something ya can't build.
Need another regulator? Spare Co2 cylinder?....

First question: did you make sure that your magnets are arranged with one N up and the other S up?

Regarding spacing, if you used rare earth magnets then the spacing isn't terribly critical. If you use disc magnets that are 20mm or more in diameter then put them at least 40mm apart (edge-edge spacing). The 30mm bar will still couple to them quite strongly and the 70mm will overlap them for even stronger coupling.

Mitchell: to address your original question regarding "grunt". I'm not sure how that commercial unit is rated, but I used a 1W computer fan to build mine and it has enough grunt.

newguy,

I'm pretty sure there up the correct way i will check it out and yes there rare earth magnets

Rook

newguy,

I'm pretty sure there up the correct way i will check it out and yes there rare earth magnets

Rook

Do you have speed control? My stir bar won't properly lock to the base unless I start from 0 and turn it up. It never works if I try to start it at speed.

Thanks for the tips gents. I've green lighted the gift.

Has anyone looked under the bonnet of one of these.
What makes it different so that it pulls a top to bottom vortex on 5l (my homemade one doesn't, with the oval stir bar, which is the only one I can easily get to couple), and what makes it couple at speed?

Hi Guys,
Can't be arsed building one but I am looking to buy one, if anyone want to sell one, plus stirrer magnet I'm happy to part with $100.
PM if interested, Thanks
AC

Latest posts

Back