Stihl Kombi System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
Concidering a Stihl kombi system, brushcutter, hedge trimmer, extension, pruner and maybe edger attatchments. About $2000.
Anyone with experiance, history, knowledge etc with this setup care to comment on performance, longterm home use, commercial longeverty? Im only using for domestic use but want 20yrs plus or Ill bye cheap disposable. Quite a sum all up but expect quality to last. My Stihl chainsaw has been good.

Weighing up individual items against the kombi system seemed a better option , but the pruner unit on its own is expensive at about $1100- $1300, where as attatchment pruner 1/3 the cost.
If it lasts a lifetime I dont mind the cost but these detatchable pieces worry me slightly.
I usually look at what gear the contractors or council use for a guideline to robust long life gear. Any feedback from seasond users appriciated.
I like Stihl and Husqvana for this sort of stuff but if there is any other, Im listening.
Noisey petrol engines, chopping things down and beer in the back yard. :icon_cheers:
Daz

When you buy it, you can come round and test it out on the neighbour's orange and lemon trees that hang over the fence :rolleyes:

Crap fruit otherwise I wouldn't complain

I don't have the Stihl version, but the John Deere one and have been very happy with it, one motor, multiple attachments. Sheared one the exhaust manifold bolts off and am now desperate to get it repaired!

I usually look at what gear the contractors or council use for a guideline to robust long life gear.

Good policy.
Mechanical sympathy doesn't seem to be a high priority with those blokes. But don't just look at what they are using, pull over and ask how many times it breaks down, thats the real issue.
Oddly though, I purchased an el-cheapo Pope brush cutter from Bunnings years ago that gets flogged mercilessly every mowing day, and nary a nut has buzzed loose.

Stihl and Husky gear is the go..

Both are relaible and sturdy. The timber cutters up around here uses both these brands, for good reason

Stihl chainsaws are legendary when it comes to toughness and reliabilty. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with one.

You get what you pay for

Bit the bullet and got the Stihl grass trimmer and hedge trimmer attatchments with the KM90R motor, plus a new mower. Gave them a work out on the week end. Very pleased with performance so far. The hedge trimmer is a brute. Saw pruner and extension pole to come.
Daz

Bit the bullet and got the Stihl grass trimmer and hedge trimmer attatchments with the KM90R motor, plus a new mower. Gave them a work out on the week end. Very pleased with performance so far. The hedge trimmer is a brute. Saw pruner and extension pole to come.
Daz
Good stuff, I have the individual components and recently borrowed a combination system; hedge trimmer and brush cutter. The hedge trimmer in particular allow a comfortable hold near the waist and then I walked along trimming, rather than my individual hedge trimmer that made me very sore in the arms and shoulders from holding the whole until at the hedge height.

I think I may be forking out for the combi system soon. I also have a need for a chainsaw on the extension

Back