Sticky Goo Krausen - What's This About?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
I've got a brew going that has a Sticky Goo blob as a Krausen.

The yeast is US-56

This is not the only yeast I've had do it (NorthWest APA yeast) but others have not (S-04)

What's the story? Where is the yeast in the lifecycle?

I've swirled the fermenter heavly to break up the goo and get it going again.
The Krasen seems to be forming again so all's good.

Oh yes, If I leave it won't sink. It just stays floating on top at the end of fermentation.

Anyone?

BOG

My last batch got a 2 inch high krausen on it and it took the best part of 2 weeks to fall back into the brew. It was thames valley liquid yeast and the beer did not turn out well. Don't know if theres a connection there. I think it was a combination of poor mashing technique and bad yeast.

That has been happening with US-56 for over 12 months now, not the yeast it used to be. But you can bet they've found a way to produce it at lower cost.

Screwy

I would have said its a sign of a true healthy top firmenting yeast.

I have found US-05/US-56 and WLP001 being its liquid twin tends to holt its yeast in the krausan

like a good wheat yeast.

Dont panic...... I would say its normal. Some yeast will and some wont. They are all different animals.

here is a pic of WLP001 in a porter.

cheers

WLP001_1.jpg

Yes Tony, that exactly what it looks like. You can pick it up with your hands. (have done so cleaning out the fermenter).

I gave the fermentor a really big swirl and whirlpooled the thing so it broke up somewhat but it's forming again. Doing so kicked off fermentation again and it's bubbleing away.

Question: I normally let the brew ferment until a few days after the Krausen sinks and settles out. Could be 7 - 10 or 14 days depending on what's in the barrel.

This stuff doesn't seem to want to sink. Is that an issue or should I just go with secondary anyway and let any remaining sugars ferment out in the Racking Cube (Secondary)?

BOG

I've got a k&k doing exactly the same thing ...high krausen for 3 weeks now!!!
This is the first time it has happened. I'm waiting for it to subside before I rack, but I'm starting to wonder if it ever will?

Anyone else having similar experiences? Yeast was a US-56!

mmmm...looking at that wonderful photo supplied by Tony, and if your wort/fermentation looks like that..then I can only say that you you have a fantastic, healthy ale going on, the yeast is happy, the beer is protected (to a degree) and all is well.

K

I've got a k&k doing exactly the same thing ...high krausen for 3 weeks now!!!
This is the first time it has happened. I'm waiting for it to subside before I rack, but I'm starting to wonder if it ever will?

3 weeks :blink:
i have used US56 twice and ferment @16-18 degrees.
Big high krausen and ferments out in a week.

matti

I had exactly the same krausen on my English bitter, for three weeks (as per Tony's Pic), using US-56.

The beer is awesome, really highly flocc'd etc. Biggest, thickest, longest lasting krausen I have ever had, and a great result. US-56 - don't fight it!

Cheers - Mike

yeah if its just about done and it still has the head on it, just rack it anyway.

My weissbier held its yeast head once it had stopped.

I racked it and once you have it off the main yeast cake, it will settle out and clear quicky

I dont like to leave the beer on the primary yeast any longer than needed.

Primary is to firment, seconday is to clear.

Dont bother trying to clear it in primary...... its not its function

cheers

Yeah ...this was supposed to be a quick beer to bolster my stocks between other brews. I'll rack it and see what happens. Thanks all for your comments ;)

Latest posts

Back