Step mash in 3 mash tuns

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Right.. Ive had a thought bouncing round my head (odd! I know), It's directly related to the impending Vic Case Swap Brew Day but think that perhaps rather than getting bogged down in that thread, some of the thoughts and processes may be handy to others in future.

Outcome = 340L of wort.

Method and equipment = 3 Mash tuns 1 kettle

MT1 75L HERMS
MT2 200L single infusion
MT3 120L single infusion
200L HLT1 - Gas
70L HLT2 - Electric
600L Kettle

The logistics of this is a bit of a nightmare so I am thinking to simplify the process.. heres how I see it.

MT1 mashes at 52/10 - 68/40 - 72/10
MT2 mashes 63/60
MT3 mashes 66/60

The idea is the as the 200L HLT comes up to temp the lions share can mash in at 63, heat back on, MT2 mashes in, MT1 is already underway and shouldnt be an issue. (Famous last words)

Idea is to have a range of mash temps from the various MT's which will be combined to the kettle in the end anyway, what is hoped to be gained is time along the way with the infusions to the MT's setting up a workflow, I think trying to get all doing the same thing is doomed to failure and cause lots of logistical headaches. If it can be separated out it's going to give a bit of time and overlap in process..

Lets say that the 200l has mashed in, it'll take another 10 minutes to get to the next highest temp and mash in on MT2 thereby setting up a decent gap with which to work, mash out shouldnt be an issue.

Anyway, just a theory and Im sure it's gunna take a bit to get into practice but just wondering if anyone has done similar or has any additional thoughts? I think it could be a good way to handle the logistics of running 3 MT's in a single brew session and a good time management line to take...

Thoughts?

I guess It could save time. Would you end up with more losses due to 3 tuns?.

That's going to be unavoidable anyway so will just need to be factored in. We don't have a single MT capable of mashing ~120kg

Yob said:
That's going to be unavoidable anyway so will just need to be factored in. We don't have a single MT capable of mashing ~120kg
For 340L ? That is one serious OG - what are you making?

Imperial? OG would have to be 1.090 up depending on efficiency. Awesome.

I don't think we'll get that high, single batch sparge, will probably be more in the order of ~100kg... Haven't fully run the numbers yet.

It certainly seems viable. Simplifies the process a bit on such an OTT size mash with the gear at hand. With all the people a couple guys can double-team each tun. Errr...

Just throwing this out there, if you want a single MT, could you use the kettle as the MT? Collect runnings in the vessels currently proposed as MTs. Perhaps also heat in them while sparging if they're capable of that, and transfer back for the boil.

600l should handle even 120kg of grain - my quick numbers tell me that it'll accommodate about 2.6 litres of water per kilo of grain if you go with 120kg.

It's a bit more messing around of course but it keeps it all in a single vessel.

As far as an answer to the actual question, sorry mate no idea. It seems to stack up from what I know in theory but I've never heard of anyone doing similar so can't report anything about it.

Interesting thought on the kettle, however, I've had just about enough stuck mashes at swaps and would sacrifice my grannie to avoid one on this swap, sticking to proven MT's should help in this ;)

I rekon 100kg in a single vessel may be asking for serious arm hair removal

Thinking about this a bit more, using the kettle as a MT probably presents more issues than it solves... Need a manifold or FB that won't be crushed by the weight of grain for a start. Disregard me and carry on...

Yob said:
Interesting thought on the kettle, however, I've had just about enough stuck mashes at swaps and would sacrifice my grannie to avoid one on this swap, sticking to proven MT's should help in this ;)

I rekon 100kg in a single vessel may be asking for serious arm hair removal
From what I'm told it's just manticle's arm hair anyway!

Hopefully you've got some fat mash bitches to stir that!

Back