Stella Now Brewed At Lion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Did this slip under the radar? I don't seem to remember anything about it on the forum last year. Might try some of the Lidcombe variety when it makes its way up this way and see if it's a total disaster or not. According to Wikipedia the brewing started last month.

I thought this has been going on for a while, hence why sellers are currently using direct import stock while the supply chain changes over. I would say the target market will not notice what-so-ever. I'm more interested in the reaction to locally produced corona. Though, again, i don't think the target market will notice...or even care.

Wait, so Hoegaarden, Leffe and Belle-Vue Kriek will be brewed here, or distributed here, by Lion?

Considering what most other "brewed in Australia under license" beers taste like (nothing), this would be a travesty!

I cannot see in the artice where it says the beers are to be brewed here.
It looks more like a distribution agreement.

Checked the "local" Stella we have in at work. Brewed in NZ!
Oddly enough the "imported" Stella we have is brewed in the UK!?!?

I'm more interested in the reaction to locally produced corona.
Interesting to note we also seem to have 2 types of Corona in atm, as well.
Both brewed in Mexico, but different distributors, bottle sizes, and price points...the regular 355mL we all know (soon to be distributed to us by Lion), and the "parallel import" variety in 330mL bottles imported by another mob.
Interestingly enough, hard core Corona drinkers can tell the difference, and can't stand the "imported" stuff.

Gah...I had the Lion rep in yesterday...should have quized him about it!

This is a wash up of SABMiller taking over Fosters - the 2 beer giants aren't going to share beers, are they? So the agreements with Fosters fall through (as SABMiller won't be allowed to brew InBev beers), and the BUL reverts to the owner of the licence.

I cannot see in the artice where it says the beers are to be brewed here.
It looks more like a distribution agreement.

When Stella first appeared in the Australian market about 12 years ago it was being brewed in NZ, then Fosters got the gig to brew it here. Maybe it wasn't making enough money for them and they've given the brand over to Lion. So yes perhaps they don't see a benefit in actually making it here whilst Lion have facilities in NZ.

Watch out for the ABV. In the UK they recently decided to drop Stella there from 5% to 4% to get it away from the wife beating lager lout skinhead image and I would guess that the current Pom stuff over here is the runout of the old 5% to clear the decks for the rat piss version.

Will be Chez Dan this afternoon, will take my magnifiers in my top pocket with me :icon_cheers:

I recall the old Wife Beater was 5.5%...

And it would leave a nice lacing on the glass. Never understood how a fine beer became a lagerlout symbol.

EDIT: 5.2%

I recall the old Wife Beater was 5.5%...

And it would leave a nice lacing on the glass. Never understood how a fine beer became a lagerlout symbol.

EDIT: 5.2%

That started in the UK in the early 1970s when Whitbread started brewing it under licence on tap. In those days a strong session beer such as Brains SA was 4.3% ABV and most regular session beers were around 3.8% - the idea that you could go out and get nicely hammered on a mere five or six pints of Stella (Bass Worthington retaliated by bringing in the now defunct Lamot which was also as potent) was very novel and soon it developed a binge reputation.

This wasn't helped by Whitbread. Until then lagers had a somewhat girly image and a favourite tipple of the ladies was half a pint of something like 3.2% Harp Lager with a dash of yellow lime.
The company wanted to attract more male lager drinkers so the advertising slogan for Stella was "Stella's for the Fellas".

Try getting away with that nowadays (although maybe just - Nutrigrain ads are identically sexist). From there it was an easy transition to lager loutism and wife beating etc.

It will be interesting to see how this efects the final product,

I have always enjoyed the local brewed Stella, and rate it as one of my fav lagers,

have tried the imported real brewed in Belgium and found it to be bland, boring and watery.

I hope Lion do a decent job of it, will have to keep eyes open for local stuff hitting the shelves.

Woolies are doing specials on a few 'imports' at the moment, maybe their trying to clear old stock to make room for the new stuff.

Haven't had a Stella for almost 3 years. I didn't get to Dans today but went to a couple of outlets here on the island and they are all the old Fosters version. However they have been reduced to $14 all over the place so clearly a run-out.

The guys at Liquorland, as usual, went glassy eyed when I started to talk about the Stella "switch" (this man has funny accent please God make him go away) but the lady manager rocked up and knew all about it, and said they still didn't have Lion stock coming through as yet but clearing out the Fosters in prep.

I'll be passing a Dans at Newstead on Sat, might pop in.

I bought a six for old times sake, yup not a bad drop - nothing really to complain about compared to many of the "genuine" Euros that LL get in such as Henninger, Furstenburg, Radeburg, Burgeburgeburg whatever :icon_cheers:

First choice @ Newstead?

Actually, speaking of a nearby Dan's (ie. Ascot) - I've noticed that the Ascot Dans can be more expensive than Airport Dans.

For instance, plastic pilsner (if you've been there, you know what I'm talking about) was $4 a 6er dearer at Ascot, than Airport. Ascot eventually reduced their price on this.

Similar story with Macs Hop Rocker (not really, but a great...) Pilsner, about $2 per 6er dearer at Ascot.

Given I live betwixt Germside Singlemumtown, Airport, and Ascot, I tend to gravitate toward the airport - if for no other reason than not fighting for a park.

Goomba

Will be Chez Dan this afternoon, will take my magnifiers in my top pocket with me

I can just see it now ....

magnifying-glass5.gif

Haha

Actually Hamilton at the Hammo Hotel. Thanks for the price update, but I didn't know there was a Dans at the Airport, is it near the DFO? Would be equally feasible as I go down Southern Cross Way to get to work.

Haha

Actually Hamilton at the Hammo Hotel. Thanks for the price update, but I didn't know there was a Dans at the Airport, is it near the DFO? Would be equally feasible as I go down Southern Cross Way to get to work.

Adjacent, but a separate complex (look for the Woolies supermarket).

Haha

Next door to Woolies, use the same car park.

First roundabout, instead of 2nd (to DFO), will see you there.

How will you see me there if you don't know when I'll be arriving?

Ahhhh. The Goomba-granted telepathy

:eek:

Looking forward to our meeting :icon_cheers:

Checked the "local" Stella we have in at work. Brewed in NZ!
Oddly enough the "imported" Stella we have is brewed in the UK!?!?

Interesting to note we also seem to have 2 types of Corona in atm, as well.
Both brewed in Mexico, but different distributors, bottle sizes, and price points...the regular 355mL we all know (soon to be distributed to us by Lion), and the "parallel import" variety in 330mL bottles imported by another mob.
Interestingly enough, hard core Corona drinkers can tell the difference, and can't stand the "imported" stuff.

Gah...I had the Lion rep in yesterday...should have quized him about it!

Most imported Stella in Australia (and exported stella for far export markets) is made in the UK. The original, Bel stuff is hardly exported these days.

There are 2 types of Corona around, as you mentioned 1 being 355ml and 1 being 330ml. I would find it extremely likely Corona be produced in Australia in the near future. I would also find it unlikely the reps, or anybody else would have a clue as to when the change happens. I'd pen it at even odds for 330ml or 355ml local Coronas, and a healthy return on 690ml longnecks.

The other beers, as far as i can tell, are a distro agreement not a production one. I would find it unlikely things like Leffe be made locally.

Though, this would be just per speculation.

:unsure:

Corona will never be produced in Australia and is fully imported. The specialty belgians like Leffe are also fully imported. Stella will be brewed by Lion should be better than Fosters swill. The lack of Corona in the country has opened up a whole slew of parrallel importers sourcing beer from all over while Lion waits for its first boat load.

Jim

Latest posts

Back