Stella Now Brewed At Lion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Corona will never be produced in Australia and is fully imported. The specialty belgians like Leffe are also fully imported. Stella will be brewed by Lion should be better than Fosters swill. The lack of Corona in the country has opened up a whole slew of parrallel importers sourcing beer from all over while Lion waits for its first boat load.

Jim

Never's a long time dude.
But if we could produce it cheaper than Mexico, I'd be very surprised.

We will never ever be able to produce it cheaper than a Mexican brewery does even with shipping

another contract CUB has lost. :super:

FU

If the business was going to Coopers or a craft brewer, fair enough. But this is just one internationally owned mega vs another and means the job security of a bunch of people (of whom I am one) is just so much less.

So i repeat with conviction

FU

From what i've seen in recent years, locally produced Corona is not if, but when. Everything is ready to go, just need to flick the switch. I think the recent shakeups in distro will be one of the final steps.

Corona will never be produced in Australia and is fully imported. The specialty belgians like Leffe are also fully imported. Stella will be brewed by Lion should be better than Fosters swill. The lack of Corona in the country has opened up a whole slew of parrallel importers sourcing beer from all over while Lion waits for its first boat load.

Jim

Are you sure Jim? I thought there was a BUL Leffe Blonde .. or actually was it Hoegaarden now I think about it?

FU

If the business was going to Coopers or a craft brewer, fair enough. But this is just one internationally owned mega vs another and means the job security of a bunch of people (of whom I am one) is just so much less.

So i repeat with conviction

FU

Tend to agree TB. Hopefully you'll be OK. You could always make the switch to making craft beer ;)

Yea i know Lion wont brew Hoeg or Leffe but Thirsty Boy might know if CUB ever brewed these locally. Wimmig At the moment Lion can barely produce the beers they have in their line up. Corona is huge it represents something like 5% of total beer market share? Modelo has something like 12 breweries churning out worldwide Corona consumption. But your right never is rather strong who knows

Everything I've ever heard about Grupo Modelo says that they will never, ever brew so much as a single drop of corona outside of mexico. They like to keep they money in the country.

You can lookup Dan's prices on their website by setting your local store - in case anyone else wants to check where the cheapest places are.

Sometimes some stores are matching local specials, but other stores further away aren't.

That XXXX Summer stuff is damn close to Corona - heaps of adjunct and isohops with no flavour. Same bottle almost.

another contract CUB has lost. :super:

Why?

I don't care if CUB exists and keeps making the beers they are making. It's good to have choice and choices are increasing. If that means beer you don't like is included in the choices, as long as they are not the only choices, then everybody wins.

Some people like CUB. Would you take that choice away from them to exclusively favour your own or can they buy the beer you want at the same time as you being able to buy the one you want?

Everything I've ever heard about Grupo Modelo says that they will never, ever brew so much as a single drop of corona outside of mexico. They like to keep they money in the country.

Apart from Cocaine and Tequila it's the only dollar-earning export they have. Mexican microwave oven, mexican DVD player, mexican fridge, yeah as if (hang on substitute Australian in the above)

then again - dont you hideous queenslanders refer to victorian as Mexicans... who knows??

Nah - the other stuff, Hogard, Leffe etc was all imported (from where I never bothered to find out) and distributed by CUB, not made locally. I doubt that will change under Lion, the volumes are just to small. Lion may have an appropriately sized plant... so its possible I guess, but I doubt it.

Corona is an interesting one - if you really want to see the ultimate expression of "MEGA" as it refers to brewing, check out the two biggest corona plants in Mexico... If you combined Abbottsford, Yatala and all of LN's breweries into one, it'd still rattle around inside either of the mexican plants. Just truly massive.

Apart from Cocaine and Tequila it's the only dollar-earning export they have. Mexican microwave oven, mexican DVD player, mexican fridge, yeah as if (hang on substitute Australian in the above)

Actually not so, Mexico is the 2nd biggest electronics manufacturer outside of Asia - after America, & American cars arent made in Detroit anymore. Since NAFTA a whole heaps of other industries have moved south of the border too.

The one company missing here is CCA. Coca-cola Amatil has the distribution rights for Corona and Carlsberg from 2013 so they'll obviously be looking to do something with the brands in the future. CCA has voiced intention to get back into beer in a big way when it's eligible and building a new big brewery isn't out of the question from what I've read.

Booz

[quote name='The Ol' Boozeroony' post='915837' date='May 24 2012, 07:52 AM']The one company missing here is CCA. Coca-cola Amatil has the distribution rights for Corona and Carlsberg from 2013 so they'll obviously be looking to do something with the brands in the future. CCA has voiced intention to get back into beer in a big way when it's eligible and building a new big brewery isn't out of the question from what I've read.

Booz[/quote]

CC also bought the Fiji brewery from Fosters as part of the Blue Tongue / SAB Miller purchase of Fosters.

How will you see me there if you don't know when I'll be arriving?

Ahhhh. The Goomba-granted telepathy

:eek:

Looking forward to our meeting :icon_cheers:

More alluding to the fact that I'm there with a fair amount of frequency! :lol:

Never buy beer in cartons (I get bored by the end), not that frequently in 6ers, mostly as singles or multiple different singles.

I won an "incentive" type comp at work last year and got a $100 Coles Myer gift card and arrived home with 4 slabs of Henninger "Look what I won at work, dear" :p I might grab a carton of Bulimba Gold Top while it's still around, saw some in Dans last week, and trot some out now and again for nostalgia's sake.

Henninger = disincentive. :D

I actually don't mind the Brisbane Bitter - certainly has more body and less isohop taste than most commercial offerings.

And at $9.90 per sixer, it isn't bad.

I'm liking the plastic pils at Dan's for $9.90 per sixer for cheap booze.

Otherwise, I just go dry until I can afford/brew something good.

I actually don't mind the Brisbane Bitter - certainly has more body and less isohop taste than most commercial offerings.

I had a Brisbane Bitter inbetween one of my Saisons, and one of my XXXX Ales. It was a difficult time in my life - especially with the proud owner of the box scrutinising my face.

Tasted like VB. Horrendously so.

Best cheap beer I've had in ages was a six pack of Stienlager for $5.99 at a corner store in Honolulu. That stuff is underrated if you're a lover of euro lagers.

Back