Steeping Vs Lme?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love2drink

Reaction score
Hello.
I have done several batches of beer now and wanted to steep some grains in with my next Lager, but my LHBS only had Caramalt in a LME. I'm not sure on volume comparsion though, if I was going to steep 250g Caramalt do I just dissolve 250g of the Caramalt LME, or less because it's a goop?

My intended recipe is:
1 Can of Thomas Coopers Lager
1 Can Brew Cellars Blend #11
12g Pride of Ringwood (Dry)
250g Steeped Caramalt Grain (This is what I want to substitue for the LME)
Kit Yeast
Up to 23L

Thanks.

Hello.
I have done several batches of beer now and wanted to steep some grains in with my next Lager, but my LHBS only had Caramalt in a LME. I'm not sure on volume comparsion though, if I was going to steep 250g Caramalt do I just dissolve 250g of the Caramalt LME, or less because it's a goop?

My intended recipe is:
1 Can of Thomas Coopers Lager
1 Can Brew Cellars Blend #11
12g Pride of Ringwood (Dry)
250g Steeped Caramalt Grain (This is what I want to substitue for the LME)
Kit Yeast
Up to 23L

Thanks.

Assume less. Given that one 1 tin at 1.5L is the (approx) equivalent of 4.5kg of grain (i.e 1:3 ratio - if I oversimplify), then 250g of caramalt LME is going to be around 750g of grain's worth. And that is a helluva lot of Caramalt, but you may prefer malty beers. Having said that, the 12g of POR isn't going to do much to bitter (and therefore balance) it.

Do yourself a favour, visit a site sponsor. The hops are fresher and better value (the equivalent of 1/4 to 1/6 of the price per gram over the 12g hop tea bags or "finishing hops" in a foil packet).

You can also get a massive amount of grains that may suit your needs. Not sure of the cost comparison, but certainly the range is far above the goo you can get.

Hope this helps

Goomba

If that's the morgans caramalt blend then they're 60% crystal, 40% base malt according to google.

I have looked at the CraftBrewer shop and it does have a much larger selection, I will no doubt grab some stuff from it over time. In the mean time though may as well use the LME, no point wasting it, I'll just use a whooping 83g of it. :lol:

Thank you for your help

I'd save it for a future extract brew if I were you. Be a Royal Pain to measure out 83g and then store the rest.

Be much easier to buy some Caramunich or something similar and start steeping then you will see how easy it is.

I have looked at the CraftBrewer shop and it does have a much larger selection, I will no doubt grab some stuff from it over time. In the mean time though may as well use the LME, no point wasting it, I'll just use a whooping 83g of it. :lol:

Thank you for your help

And hold onto the rest - you'll always find a means to use malt extract.

My calcs aren't exact, just very generalised. It will vary based on the extract and its composition, but I used the 1:3 formula when I extract brewed, and I never had any issues.

Goomba

I guess the goo would be a option but i dont think you will get a beer that is as good as one made with a few extra steeped grains and you want to move into do that so if you cant find the grain you are after try getting a few 100g to a KG of a base malt and steep/mash them instead (maybe even adding some specialty grains that will match the style you are making if your LHBS has them) Your brewing techniques will improve and hopefully the flavor in your beers...

I've ordered some Caramalt grain from one of the sponsors, and I'll save the LME. $2.20 for 1/2 a kilo too good to resist! B)

Back