Steeping Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Im going to brew my first partial tomorow (hefe). One of the steps is to steep the hops for 15mins.

What are peoples (cheap) sure-fire ways to steep hops? Im very new to all this so please forgive my noobness. I read on howtobrew.com that you can even use a sock? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Im using Hallertau but i might only be able to get them in flowers...is this a problem? Do i need to have pellets?

Hi Finite

Stepping up to a partial is lots of fun and makes for a beer with lots more life and flavour. Excellent work.

What are peoples (cheap) sure-fire ways to steep hops? Im very new to all this so please forgive my noobness. I read on howtobrew.com that you can even use a sock? blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

You can steep your hops in lots of different ways. The easiest way to steep hops is to plonk them in a coffee plunger, add boiling water, wait 10 minutes, plunge and pour the liquid into your brew.

Im using Hallertau but i might only be able to get them in flowers...is this a problem? Do i need to have pellets?

Hallertau in flowers, I'd love to be using some, especially for dry hopping (rather than steeping). If you are using flowers, and by all means use them if you can get them, you probably want to boil the hops flowers vigorously for a good 10-15 mins to ensure you extract all the tasty hop flavours.

Good luck and happy brewing,

Keith

Keith the Beer Guy said:
you probably want to boil the hops flowers vigorously for a good 10-15 mins to ensure you extract all the tasty hop flavours.
[post="106199"][/post]​

boil then put em in a plunger?

Hi Finite,

boil then put em in a plunger?

Naaah, just strain the liquid into the brew. If your using flowers it will be easy 'cause they swell a fair bit. Or you can just tip the whole lot in - flowers and liquid. Wont hurt the brew one little bit, and if you use flowers they are not going to contribute to any beer clarity issues.

Cheers,

Keith

how much water should i boil them in if im only using 12g?

how much water should i boil them in if im only using 12g?

Its not critical, say a cup or two in a coffee plunger or a little more in a saucepan.

Just remember after you have made your brew up to full volume you need to cool it down as quickly as possible to pitching temperature for your yeast.

I'm making assumptions about your set-up, but the more hot water you use when you put the beer together the longer (or more of a pain in the arse) it is to cool it down.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith,
Hop oils are not really all that soluble in water (even hot water). I would suggest you that you at least steep them in DME, unless you want to extract all the undesirable components of hops (grassiness, chlorophyl etc).
cheers
Darren

Hey Darren,

no argument.

Its better to do a taste addition by adding your hop to boiling malt (wort).

I'm just pitching the advice at a level that I guessed to be appropriate.

The coffee plunger method gives good results and is mighty easy to use. It works well with hop pellets.

Cheers,

Keith

Keith the Beer Guy said:
Hey Darren,

no argument.

Its better to do a taste addition by adding your hop to boiling malt (wort).

I'm just pitching the advice at a level that I guessed to be appropriate.

The coffee plunger method gives good results and is mighty easy to use. It works well with hop pellets.

Cheers,

Keith
[post="106216"][/post]​

No worries keith,
Would be better to heat them with some extract on the stove with the DME.

cheers
Darren

Latest posts

Back