Steeping Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1984

Reaction score
hi everyone just wondering if i boil a kettle and but the grains in a pot with that water is it going to be too hot

Yes.
You want the water for steeping to be somewhere in the region of 60-70C. Let the water cool for a while.
Alternatively you can start the grains in the pot with cold water and slowly heat it u, stirring frequently, to around the temp and then let it sit for a little.

you could also do a search on AHb and find more than you will ever need to know on steeping.

here

boiling water isnt good. it creates harsh tannins from the grain. my advice is go the cold and slowly heat it avenue.

I'm still new to steeping as well but as such I've been trying to read all I can. Here are two good threads: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=23171 ,
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=20773
(or do a search, there's stacks of info on here about it)
From what I've gathered, accurate temperature isn't as critical with steeping but can still make some difference. The basic answer is yes - straight from the boil, the water would still be too hot and may release tannins that cause astringent (mouth puckering) flavours. For real mashes, around 65 to 68 degrees C is ideal. If you can match this for a steep and maintain it, it will be good but anything less than 72 degrees C will be fine. If you don't have a really accurate thermometer, boil some water and then let it stand for a few minutes first before pouring it on the grain.
Another option if your local water is of decent quality, is to set your hot water heater temp to between 65 and 70 degrees and use the resultant hot water from your tap. Puritans who read this may flame me for that but hey, you're going to boil the liquor that you strain off afterwards to avoid infections.
Hope that all helps!

Jono.
Edit: wow, in the time it took me to find those two threads, two other people beat me to the reply!

The hot water which i get out of the tap is pretty much 65'C, so you could maybe get away with that.

Alternatively, (if i remember correctly) you can use two parts boiling water, to one part cold water and it will get you close to the right temperature??

More then happy to be corrected about the second option :icon_cheers:

Sponge

Or you could just cold steep overnight, I personally haven't tried this method yet but I haven't heard bad things about it, and will be giving it a go with my next porter

Or you could just cold steep overnight, I personally haven't tried this method yet but I haven't heard bad things about it, and will be giving it a go with my next porter

I`ve cold steeped for years, usually an 18 hour steep, can`t notice any diff. compared to hot steep, just less mucking around on brew morning.

stagga.

I`ve cold steeped for years, usually an 18 hour steep, can`t notice any diff. compared to hot steep, just less mucking around on brew morning.

stagga.

That's exaclty why I'm heading in that direction, I think it's aslo good for those who don't have a thermometer (like me) and worried about tannins

How does the cold steep works? You put the grains in the pot of water and just let it steep for 18 hours?

How does the cold steep works? You put the grains in the pot of water and just let it steep for 18 hours?

yep, I think you add a little more water than when hot steeping but I'm not 100% sure. Won't hurt though

I have a bag of Munich malt grain and was told by LHBS i have to crush the grain with a rolling pin before i do a steep or mini mash. The grain in the bag looks to be cracked open already.

I have a bag of Munich malt grain and was told by LHBS i have to crush the grain with a rolling pin before i do a steep or mini mash. The grain in the bag looks to be cracked open already.

The Munich malt needs to be mashed :icon_cheers:

May be opening myself up here as dumb a#se of the century with this question on Steeping Crystal Grain - (note: I am yet to see what size this grain is and want to try this process with my next brew). When it comes to filtering the grain from the malty liquid, would a flour sieve do the job, or are the holes to big for this type of grain? Perhaps I should use one of those coffee filters or even a plunger? Would a plunger be a good option for steeping grain? Sorry for asking such a dumb question boys - go easy on me, I'm just a newbie...

Spiderpig

May be opening myself up here as dumb a#se of the century with this question on Steeping Crystal Grain - (note: I am yet to see what size this grain is and want to try this process with my next brew). When it comes to filtering the grain from the malty liquid, would a flour sieve do the job, or are the holes to big for this type of grain? Perhaps I should use one of those coffee filters or even a plunger? Would a plunger be a good option for steeping grain? Sorry for asking such a dumb question boys - go easy on me, I'm just a newbie...

Spiderpig

Never tried to filter with a sieve, I recomend you get a grain bag. The best one I've come across so far is the ones from Craftbrewer, they're big enough to hold a few kg's of grain and fairly strong. You can get cheaper one's but they are pretty crap IMHO.

EDIT- don't feel bad about asking questions that seem silly to you, we've all been there. I still ask stupid questions.

For small amounts, a few hundred grams, there would be nothing wrong with using a coffee plunger (so long as it clean first)

Any sort of fine seive will do the job. A colander has holes too big. So if the cook of the house says you can use the flour seive, then go for it.

A larger style sieve will be needed for bigger amounts.

Make suer you read up on boiling the resultant solution. All liquid from grains must be boiled to sanitise. Don't just chuck it in the fermenter.

You can even buy cheese cloth and peg it over a saucepan for up to about 2kg. When my bucket in bucket mash stuck a few times, I pegged a large piece of cheesecloth over a bucket fermenter, with some rolled up bits of mesh to hold the lot off the bottom, transferred and allowed the lot to drain.

For any larger amounts, you really want to read up on ag equipment and utilise a false bottom or braid.

This is a picture of a grain bag mum made for me yesterday with some muslin i got from spotlight

Really easy to make. Just a large-ish square (2.5 hand-spans x 2.5 hand spans ;)) , with the muslin doubled over and some rope tied through the top so you can close the bag
Image133.jpg

Only problem is getting them clean again. I epmtied and cleaned mine as well as i could, let it dry, get off any leftover grain and rinse it and let it dry again

Sponge

EDIT: Picture didnt work first time round.... you cant really see the rope around the top, but you get the idea... :icon_cheers:

+1 for craftbrewer grain/hop bag. Ive got the big one and its great.

I have also used the kitchen flour sieve and its works, it just takes longer for bigger amounts of grain.

I use pantihose to hold the grain while steeping. Give them a light squeeze as you pull them out of the water before the boil.

Wife did look at my strange though when I came home from store with packet of cheap pantihose for myself,

R

All this information is great.. I am just getting back into brewing again and I wondered why my atempts at steeping produced poor results several years ago. It must have been because of bad advise from my local HBS ??? Here is what is on the label of a 150g grains packet from local HBS (can you guess who it is ?) - "Empty desired amount into a heat proof vessel of at least 1ltr capacity. Fill with boiling water and stand for 10 - 20 mins. Strain then rinse water directly into fermenter, leaving the grain behind".

Back