steeping advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrell

Reaction score
Hi,

I put down a Canadian blonde with dry hopped Amarillo a while back, likes the result so looking to do something similar. I have
A kit of Canadian blonde
Be2 and another 250 grams of dme
25 grams saaz hops, 15 grams cascade, 25 pride of Ringwood
Saf 05
250gms of carapils.

I'm doing carapils for the first time. When steeping, do I need to crack the grains, also how long should I steep for?

I'm then thinking of boiling the saaz for 15 mins, and the cascade for 5 in the steeped liquid after removing the carapils. Will leave out the POR.

Does that look ok? Is adding another 250gms of malt overkill?

Thanks in advance

Crack your grains first andd steep for 10-15 mins in hot water.

Then boil this with your hops at the times youve indicated.

Leave the POR out, it is best used for bittering. Its not the best flavour or aroma hop

Isn't it more towards 30 minutes steep time?

I'd boil it for at least 20 minutes to destroy any bugs to be super safe.

I've heard, but not tried, that you can steep in cold water overnight instead of hot water for 20 odd minutes.

Bring 2 litres of water to the boil. Remove from heat and add 200-250 gms CRACKED grain to water and let sit for 20 mins. Pour liquid into fermenter through a colander and then get a jug of hot water and pour over the grains. You don't put the grains going into the fermenter. Whilst the grain is steeping bring 1 litre of water to the boil in another saucepan and chuck in 25gms Saaz into a hop bag and put in the water. Turn heat down to a simmer. Let sit for 15 mins then pour this hop tea into fermenter aswell. Give the hop bag a squeeze with a spoon to get all the liquid out. Maybe dry hop with the cascade after fermentation for a couple of days before bottling. Leave the POR out. Whilst the grains and hops are steeping get your kit and enhancers into the fermenter and get them stirred in and dissolved.
Why did your home brew shop give you whole grains? Didn't they ask what you were going to do with them?

Steve said:
Bring 2 litres of water to the boil. Remove from heat and add 200-250 gms CRACKED grain to water and let sit for 20 mins. Pour liquid into fermenter through a colander and then get a jug of hot water and pour over the grains. You don't put the grains going into the fermenter. Whilst the grain is steeping bring 1 litre of water to the boil in another saucepan and chuck in 25gms Saaz into a hop bag and put in the water. Turn heat down to a simmer. Let sit for 15 mins then pour this hop tea into fermenter aswell. Give the hop bag a squeeze with a spoon to get all the liquid out. Maybe dry hop with the cascade after fermentation for a couple of days before bottling. Leave the POR out. Whilst the grains and hops are steeping get your kit and enhancers into the fermenter and get them stirred in and dissolved.
Why did your home brew shop give you whole grains? Didn't they ask what you were going to do with them?
Sorry I'm a little late on this one... and excuse me if I'm wrong, but from what i can tell, the above isn't really best practice. Its probably okay advice for simplicity sake, but there seems to be a few - what I would call errors.
  1. I was under the impression that you don't want super hot water for steeping the grains, you should use water at 60-80 deg. near boiling water may lead to excess tannin in your beer.
  2. After you steep the grains, you need to boil that liquid. strain it as Steve suggests, but strain it into your brewing pot. Bring this liquid up to the boil and steep your hops in this. Failing to do so could lead you to infecting your beer, which nobody wants to do.
Everything else looks good though.

Cheers,

You dont steep hops, you boil them.

Except for dry hoping, obviously.

yup - boil hops. Just re-read my post, meant to type boil rather than steep...
My point is however that you boil the liquid you get after steeping the grains.

Unlike mashing/partial mashing,steeping water amounts aren't as critical. The grains already having been converted. I use a Barley Crusher grain mill set at the factory adjustment of .039 inches (.9906 mm). Gives a good crush for BIAB (Brew In A Bag) brewing in my 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot. I use 2 gallons (7.57 liters) to steep the grains in for 30 minutes @ 155-165 degrees Fahrenheit (68.33C-73.88C). Then heat 1-1.5 gallons (3.785L-5.68L) of local spring water to 170F (76.67C) & dunk the grain bag in it to sparge the grains. Then strain the sparge liquid into the main steep wort with a large fine mesh strainer. Then heat that to a boil for all hop additions. I try to get 3.5 gallons (13.25L) in my 5 gallon (18.93L) kettle for my initial boil volume.

Alex.Tas said:
Sorry I'm a little late on this one... and excuse me if I'm wrong, but from what i can tell, the above isn't really best practice. Its probably okay advice for simplicity sake, but there seems to be a few - what I would call errors.
  1. I was under the impression that you don't want super hot water for steeping the grains, you should use water at 60-80 deg. near boiling water may lead to excess tannin in your beer.
  2. After you steep the grains, you need to boil that liquid. strain it as Steve suggests, but strain it into your brewing pot. Bring this liquid up to the boil and steep your hops in this. Failing to do so could lead you to infecting your beer, which nobody wants to do.
Everything else looks good though.

Cheers,
1. I thought so too but after finding these instructions on the ESB website for their grain infuser packs I tried it and it works for me. http://www.esbrewing.com.au/grain-infusion-pack-200g-crystal.html
2. I haven't done this but haven't had an infection. It makes sense. Maybe because the water I steep in is initially at boiling point?

1. yeah I've read that too come to think of it. you can also soak overnight in cold water too. Essentially you are just dissolving sugars that have been converted already. As sugars dissolve more easily in hot water than cold, i guess using hotter water lets you reduce the steeping time. Can't comment with authority on the tannin though. Only reporting what I've read elsewhere.

2. The risk of infection would more likely come from your grains rather than the water i suspect.

Back