Steam Beer Yeast Fermentation Temperatures?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^True, so the legend goes German brewers brought it with them when the gold rush hit california. Being mainly lager brewers, they attempted to brew lagers without the necessary refridgeration (ice caves etc). Techiniques for cooling the wort are mentioned above. Hence what we have is a lager strain, adjusted to operated at ale temps. Cal Common is a hybrid beer (amber lager of sorts) and hence the hybrid yeast (lager characteristics @ ale temps).

Worth noting too, it was the cheap and nasty beer of the beer! Anchor Steam was establish in 1981 (ish) and is a modern revival of this style of beer.

Cheers SJ

lager yeast = bottom fermenting

ale = top fermenting

yeast style is not so much temp dependent, just that bottom fermenting typically favour cooler temps than top fermenting.

Brendo

yeah yeah yeah i know i was being too simplistic. well at the moment its certainly looking like an ale (ie top fermenting). will be interesting to see how it works with an IPA style beer (althought its no longer an IPA cause OG too low, EBC too high). it should be a cracker of a beer though.

yeah yeah yeah i know i was being too simplistic. well at the moment its certainly looking like an ale (ie top fermenting). will be interesting to see how it works with an IPA style beer (althought its no longer an IPA cause OG too low, EBC too high). it should be a cracker of a beer though.

my understanding was that it was an ale yeast, but that it fermented clean with lager like characteristics...

ale = top fermenting

That terminology is antiquated and overly simplistic as well.

I'm going to say that all my beers are middle fermenting - it ferments in the middle, is deposited at the bottom and forms a kraeusen at the top. :p

tdh

ale = top fermenting

That terminology is antiquated and overly simplistic as well.

I'm going to say that all my beers are middle fermenting - it ferments in the middle, is deposited at the bottom and forms a kraeusen at the top. :p

tdh

hehehe... agreed... was just trying to point out that temp defining yeast style is a bit too simplistic... in my own simplistic way :blink:

Latest posts

Back