Stc 1000

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronic

Reaction score
Can u run a double adapter from the back of ur stc to run the fridge and a fan inside the fridge? I was thinking maybe an inverter with 12 volt fan.

Kronic said:
Can u run a double adapter from the back of ur stc to run the fridge and a fan inside the fridge? I was thinking maybe an inverter with 12 volt fan.
I do... well technically I run a power board of the stc, and not a double adapter. But same setup, fridge and power adapter for my fan.

What's the relay in a STC good up to I wonder? Must be a few KW/amps at startup.

Cool ever had any problems with it? I work away and the last thing I want to do is load up a small unit like that, and than come home to no house

I use a 12v 100mm pc fan wired up to a phone charger running constantly in my fermenting fridge. That little fan's been running for about 2 years with very little downtime and still quiet as a mouse. I have three fridges in a 4x4m shed running off the one power board and the breakers never tripped.

That being said if my shed burnt down I probably wouldn't be in as much trouble with SWMBO as you would be if your house went up.

Kronic said:
Cool ever had any problems with it? I work away and the last thing I want to do is load up a small unit like that, and than come home to no house

I also use a stc to run my HLT with a 2200w element, so a 250w fridge should be ok. As long as it's a real stc-1000 it's rated to 2400w (10amp). There are some 'similar to stc-1000' units floating around which are rated lower.

edit: That's another reason I have a power board and not a double adapter. Power boards have overload protection, whilst a double adapter generally does not.

Was lucky enough to get an STC1000 for gratis. Thanks Angus. :beer:
Still to wire it up for emergency use in case my Dixell ever karks it which hopefully will be never.
Love my old Dixell I do! :wub:

PS --- Good idea there Camo. All I need do is widen the probe hole in the side of the fridge to allow for another line then seal again.
Fridge holds 2 x fermenters with probe strapped to one so a fan would hopefully help maintain a more even temp.

That's not a bad idea camo ill look into that cheers

TidalPete said:
Was lucky enough to get an STC1000 for gratis. Thanks Angus. :beer:
Still to wire it up for emergency use in case my Dixell ever karks it which hopefully will be never.
Love my old Dixell I do! :wub:

PS --- Good idea there Camo. All I need do is widen the probe hole in the side of the fridge to allow for another line then seal again.
Fridge holds 2 x fermenters with probe strapped to one so a fan would hopefully help maintain a more even temp.

Is that one from dreamboat's bulkbuy back in 2006?

Mine is still going strong, pitty about the plastic enclosure it is in. (Teaches me for using a lunch box)

QldKev said:
Is that one from dreamboat's bulkbuy back in 2006?

Mine is still going strong, pitty about the plastic enclosure it is in. (Teaches me for using a lunch box)
Perhaps it was Kev?? Such a long time ago.
Dreamboat (Had his birthday today) was the bloke who put me onto this forum. Someone's gonna hate him? :lol:
TTBOMM my Dixell came in the next bulk buy & was wired up by my old mate Hoops (Ex-army & from WA) but it may well have been the bulk buy you mention?
Do you remember Hoops? Great, top bloke! :super:
Those Dixells are great gear.

I just plug my fan in the spare outlet I wired up on the side, see below. This has also come in handy when I need a spare temporary power source. My fan is on 24/7 with a micro switch and uses less than 1c of energy a day.

6451481117_6c0571965a_n.jpg

QldKev said:
As long as it's a real stc-1000 it's rated to 2400w (10amp). There are some 'similar to stc-1000' units floating around which are rated lower.
Kev, are these the units that you think should be avoided? If so I'll fork out a few extra dollars to get the KK 16 amp pre wired model.

View item:
Digital Temperature Controller Beer Fermentation Wired Fridge Freezer Thermostat
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121118843369

thedragon said:
Kev, are these the units that you think should be avoided? If so I'll fork out a few extra dollars to get the KK 16 amp pre wired model.

View item:
Digital Temperature Controller Beer Fermentation Wired Fridge Freezer Thermostat
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121118843369
Nope this is the one I was referring to. It looks like a stc-1000, but is only rated to 5amp and only has one output relay. For $5 more a stc is a better buy IMHO.

That one you linked to has been on AHB a couple of times. I think a few have failed, but I believe some people are still using them.

I have not heard of any issues with the pre-wired keg king one.

Thanks Kev. On that basis I'll stick with another KK stc-1000. The KK one I have is great (16 amp heat and cool for FV temp control), however I thought that a cheapie may have been ok for cooling the keg fridge, but it sounds to be a false economy. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back