STC-1000 Heating Element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an Aldi yoghurt maker as my heating element. It's designed to keep yoghurt at 40 deg so no melting of anything that comes in contact with it.

Because air is a poor conductor of heat, ao the heat stays on the belt and the effect of the heat is delayed in its transfer to the temp probe. So the belt heats more to the point it could overheat

fletcher said:
where does one live where a hanging belt swings? the heat belt i use is heavy enough not to, and stays perfectly still inside my fridge not touching anything. i would question why having it NOT touch anything would cause it trouble. what possible difference does it make if it's not touching plastic. i can't see the reasoning here.
If it's not touching anything, the element will not pass on the heat and possibly overheat
The same thing happens if you run a water heating element without it being immersed in water
it will overheat and blow out

fletcher said:
where does one live where a hanging belt swings? the heat belt i use is heavy enough not to, and stays perfectly still inside my fridge not touching anything. i would question why having it NOT touch anything would cause it trouble. what possible difference does it make if it's not touching plastic. i can't see the reasoning here.
It's the same logic as why you want a kettle element to be fully submerged it water/wort when it is on.

Plug your heat belt in and leave it on for a few minutes and see how hot it gets. It's not a reptile heat pad designed to keep things at 37degC. If mine is left on and can't transfer it's heat quickly, the plastic surround gets quite soft and is too hot to touch.

Would a heat pad be better than a belt? I am thinking of getting a reptile heat pad as I could have 2 FVs in my fridge at once.

crowmanz said:
I am thinking of getting a reptile heat pad as I could have 2 FVs in my fridge at once.
This is what I use and it works well enough, I just sit it next to the fermenter so it heats the fridge space. Only time its not sufficient is if I'm trying to ferment a saison in winter and need to get the temps up into the high 20's low 30's - then I wrap the fermenter in an electric blanket!

I use a heatbelt, wrapped around the fermenter just above the tap, so above the yeast cake

I also have the temp probe measuring the sort temp by using a beer belly fermowell

I found a high size freezer, so plenty of space to have a 150W floodlight (those yellow Bunnings building lights) underneath.

I just use an aquarium heater that is fully adjustable in temp cut a hole in the lid with a holesaw the size of the bung you have brought cut the plug of the lead and push it thru the hole in the bung wire a new plug on the lead and Bobs your uncle

Back