Starting a homebrewing youtube channel "Mash Hacks"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjii

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've started up a new homebrewing youtube channel called Mash Hacks: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoLzpnOMCNUZuGdlEDcaphQ

I want to show off the thriving Australian homebrew community as I think we're under represented online. I posted my first video today, and I'm keen to get your feedback as well as any suggestions for future content.

At the moment my goal is to present all the different ways everyone gets things done. I think in Australia we're a little more ghetto, but certainly more creative when it comes to our setups and I'm interested to see how everyone does their thing.

If you have any ideas or comments I'm all ears.

Cheers!

Good idea. Good aim. Good luck!

Mate I enjoyed it. Well done. I wish something like that was around all those years ago when I was starting out. The only thing I noted was that you called the foam on top of the boil the hot break. It's not hot break. The break is the enzymes which are proteins binding together. Sometimes you won't even see them. They start forming at 40 deg but are at their biggest just before boil. The foam is just scum in top if you ask me and I skim it off. Personal preference.

Google suggest hot break is the foam as does John Palmer.
Can you point me to something to read that backs up what you say? - only because I need to learn.

Good work gents Fix the audio and your on a winner (very low commentary). Nice production and I like the man cave, looks like mine.

Nice to see some more Aussies representing the HB scene, keep it up.

indica86 said:
Google suggest hot break is the foam as does John Palmer.
Can you point me to something to read that backs up what you say? - only because I need to learn.
Here is a fantastic description by our very own mega brewer thirstyboy;

Warning - Clarification for its own sake! Not for people who get narky about over complicating things or who lose concentration if a post is longer than two paragraphs. Do yourself a favour and skip to the next post.

Hot break is a generic term that simply covers all the shit that previously being in solution, comes out of solution as your wort heats up, mostly proteins or proteins bound to other stuff. This happens continuously from the moment the first enzymes in your brew (enzymes are protiens remember) begin to denature at about 40 odd degrees and keeps on happening continuously until the wort cools down.

The rate at which it happens increases a lot as the wort hits the boil, because naturally things are getting hotter - but the difference between 99 and 100 really isn't that much - but also because as the wort boils, it starts to bubble and much of the chemistry of break formation happens on the liquid gas interface of the bubbles. You start to notice the hot break after the worts been boiling for a while, because the movement of the boil brings the protiens, polyphenols and small particles of break into conact with each other causing them to knit into larger, visble particles - The great percentage of it happens earlier in the boil, but its been and is happening the whole time.

"The" Hot Break is some sort of figment of homebrewer imagination - so if you cant spot it, thats OK.... it doesn't actually exist.

However:

Its not a bad idea to wait until the foamy scum dissapates before you tip in your hops.... while its there your wort is at a point where its kind of vulnerable to boiling over. Tipping a whole bunch of small particles (hops) into it can make it foam up suddenly and end up on your floor

Its also not a bad idea to wait till your wort has been boiling for a little while - for instance 10 or 15 mins or until you start to see some hot break forming into particles. After that you know that a fairly good proportion of the total hot break has happened. Which is nice, because as hot break forms, it can bond to the bittering substances in your hops and reduce their total bittering potential. By putting in your hops after much of the hot break has already formed, more of their bitterness is available for your beer. A good economic thing if you dont want to spend too much money on bittering hops (really a commercial rather than a home consideration, the difference isn't all that great) and also a consistency thing - because different grists will have different amounts of break material and therefore differently affect how your hops are able to bitter your beer - mostly avoided by adding your hops "After the Hot Break" and ticking off a smallish box on the long list of "things I could do slightly more consistently in my brewing".

So the advice in the above thread is mostly right - and now know why (roughly)

Yours in overcomplexity - TB
Edited by Thirsty Boy, 20 December 2012 - 08:15 PM.

Good work fellas.
I love it that brewdays never run 100% smoothly no matter how well we prepare. There is always something.

Sooooooo, back to YouTube. Is this something we can all contribute to? Do we need login info, or we just email our vids to you for vetting and uploading?

Here is a fantastic description by our very own mega brewer thirstyboy;
Hey mckenry, awesome point. I've always thought of the foam as the majority of the break material and always seen it referred to as the "The Hot Break", but I can see that yeah, anything that precipitates out of solution due to the heat is hot break. I guess it's just a convenient name for that stage of the brewing process.

Also +1 for letting the foam subside before whacking your hops in. I totally agree, and I'm now happy to learn that it will help with gaining more efficient bittering.

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to putting out more material.

No worries benjii
I hate to nit pick and I knew I'd have to back it up. That's why u do a 75 min boil. 1st 15 goes to skimming the scum AND getting a good hot break, then I add my 60mins and we're off ;)
Good job you guys did regardless.

Hi Ruckus, I'd be happy to accept vids for addition. The more aussie content we can generate, the better. I'm shooting for a particular format to begin with so I'd prefer you guys to email me (and I'll download and edit the videos myself).

I'm also keen to come and visit people to record videos to help out anyone without video equipment, or people who just want to show off their style without too much effort. I'm in Brisbane, so that would be a good place to start, but I travel a bit so I can stop by anyone as needed.

Thanks for the interest!

What is a good program for compressing your videos to put up on YouTube? I would prefer to buy a legit video editing program, not a freeware or shareware from DodgyDowloads.com as I ended up with a fecked computer last time I downloaded a graphics freeware program.

Okay, cool. I was hoping to video document my new brewery build, and maybe one or two brew days, too. Happy to have someone else do the hard work for me as far as editing goes.

Bribie G said:
What is a good program for compressing your videos to put up on YouTube? I would prefer to buy a legit video editing program, not a freeware or shareware from DodgyDowloads.com as I ended up with a fecked computer last time I downloaded a graphics freeware program.
Hey Bribie.
The plain old out of the box Windows Movie Maker is actually pretty simple. It also has a 'save as' for youtube, so does all the compression you need without having to know/work out what is best. I have used Adobe Premier Elements and Sony Vegas in the past, to edit hours of HD travel movies. Always had trouble and really, they were too complicated. Now I use windows movie maker and find the experience far simpler. I do get crashes however, but I put it down to loading 4 hours of HD footage onto my laptop... and expecting it to write, render and behave. Its underpowered (laptop) for this, but doing a few minutes of BIAB and posting to youtube = too easy.

Nice work mate, but for god sakes tell Zig to get a funnel to add hops to the cube!!!! :p :lol: :p

Thanks for the heads up on Windows Movie Maker, mckenry - I'd heard of it but didn't realise it was free.

Microsoft, free program? Episode of Amazing Stories? :blink:

Bribie G said:
I just purchased Cyberlink's Power Director 12. It had good reviews and seems to work quite well. Compression however I'm not quite sure what to do yet, that first vid was 2gb. took about 5 hours to upload.

Back