Starter?...how About A Detonator!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqyre

Bee & Thistle Brewery
Reaction score
We have been playing with starters lately, keeping any left over unfermented wort in bottles to use as a starter for the next brews.
After a few beers i thought i might split some yeast into 3 or 4 starters in plastic coke bottles and keep them in the fridge instead of reusing the yeast cake.
After a few ales last weekend, i was pulling some kegs out of the chest fridge and by accident i took out the starters and forgot about them. :huh:

Well, with the tempreture reaching 29 degrees, we had a bit of a Nuclear Detonation in the shed today.. :eek:
The Earth Shook, windows rattled, babies cried, dogs yelped and a small flock of seagulls somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic ocean shit.
Not to mention approx 700ml of starter spread thinly across 60 square meters of shed.

After putting together some home made armour, i bravely ventured into the shed to difuse the other 2 bottles..
they had swollen to somewhere between a 1.25 and a 2 litre bottle with wierd stretch marks all over.
I gently carried them 1 at a time out the back where i tossed them off the verandah..
Well holly CRAP!!! :eek: The bang was louder than a decent sized fire cracker except with chunks of plastic and starter flying everywhere...

I post this as a warning to all, as if one of these bastards had gone off in my hand.. i wouldn't have one!!! it was that fierce.

Here is some pics of what was left of the one that went off in the shed...
starter_bomb1.jpgstarter_bomb2.jpg
starter_bomb3.jpgstarter_bomb4.jpg

Sqyre... ;)

Geez didn't know it was the 5th of November already :p
Great to hear you escaped unscathed, and a valid warning to others.

Doc

Well, with the tempreture reaching 29 degrees, we had a bit of a Nuclear Detonation in the shed today.. :eek:
The Earth Shook, windows rattled, babies cried, dogs yelped and a small flock of seagulls somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic ocean shit.
Not to mention approx 700ml of starter spread thinly across 60 square meters of shed.

After putting together some home made armour, i bravely ventured into the shed to difuse the other 2 bottles..
they had swollen to somewhere between a 1.25 and a 2 litre bottle with wierd stretch marks all over.
I gently carried them 1 at a time out the back where i tossed them off the verandah..
Well holly CRAP!!! :eek: The bang was louder than a decent sized fire cracker except with chunks of plastic and starter flying everywhere...

Terroir de Woodhill :lol:
You'll be able to open ferment in the shed now Brucey!!

Spectacular....um...we do realise the moral of the story isnt that you should keep your starters in the fridge, the moral is that you should ferment them out before storing I hope?

holy crap, fortunately you have your own brew shed, if that happens in the kitchen.....

Mate, for a long time you dont need to pitch your brews anymore, just leave it open in the shed, it gets fermenting like a Lambic ;)

Cheers :icon_cheers:

We used to do a similar thing with dry ice in a 600 ml coke bottle at work on night shift.

At midnight before going home, we would fill a coke bottle with dry ice and an inch of water in the bottom.

Place in the botton of a 44 gallon drum garbage bin full of paper and plastic ect.

Some time during day work the next day the bin would go "BANG" and throw all the rubbish in the air, sucesfully scaring the poop out of everyone.

Ahhh thems were the days.

cheers

There was one more i didnt mention earlier, a 2 litre bottle...
That didn't detonate when i chucked it down the back.. i reckon about midday tommorrow.. BOOM!!! :eek:
Might sprinkle some grain over it for the crows.. :p

Sqyre... ;)

Phew and I thought all 'Pop' bottles had pressure relief slots in the neck threads where the cap screws on.

Those slots are there so you dont blow your hand off, or take an eye out, with the lid when opening the drink bottle

We used to do a similar thing with dry ice in a 600 ml coke bottle at work on night shift.

Ahhh thems were the days.

cheers

:lol:

how about the acetylene bombs :ph34r: , they'd chuck you off site these days

Cheers
Yard

Great..... now homebrewers aren't just evil producers of the demon drink, we're also bomb makers and potential terrorists

everyone who has ever posted on this site can expect a knock on the door from bloody ASIO now .... sheesh :rolleyes:

This is why god gave us airlocks, 8mm drill, grommets and PET bottle caps.... :p

I hope the other bottles are somewhere where the annoying kids up the street can find them....

Latest posts

Back