Starsan In Beer Lines/Froth In Keg/Longevity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollieb

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have recently begun using Starsan as a sanitising solution and I have a few questions about it that I am hoping someone here will know the answer to...

1. I did a clean out of my beer lines yesterday and I was wondering if there is anything wrong with leaving an unused beer line filled with the Starsan solution to maintain a sterile line until such a time as the keg is connected and put into use?

2. When using it to sterilize a keg I notice there is a lot of the froth that is left in side the keg after I shake it up and tip out the solution. My ratio of starsan to water is correct (1.7ml:1L) I assume it is OK to just transfer beer directly into/onto this froth in the keg as it is a no rinse solution right?

3. Does this stuff have a shelf life once mixed up?
E.G. If I make up a 1L spray bottle to have on hand for a quick spray on items here and there will it stop working after a week/fortnight/month etc?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ollie

1. Nothing wrong in doing that.
2. Fine. Don't Fear the Foam...
3. Longevity will depend on the water it has been diluted with. It lasts longer if diluted with demineralised/distilled/RO water. It is supposed to turn cloudy when it is ineffective but with the mineral content in tap water it turns cloudy instantly. I have had it pre-mixed for months. I check it with a pH meter when it has been sitting around for a long time, you want it to stay under 3.0 pH, I have never had a reading higher 2.6 pH (my tap water is 6.5 - 7.5 pH) before I get through 15 litres.

NewtownClown said:
1. Nothing wrong in doing that.
2. Fine. Don't Fear the Foam...
3. Longevity will depend on the water it has been diluted with. It lasts longer if diluted with demineralised/distilled/RO water. It is supposed to turn cloudy when it is ineffective but with the mineral content in tap water it turns cloudy instantly. I have had it pre-mixed for months. I check it with a pH meter when it has been sitting around for a long time, you want it to stay under 3.0 pH, I have never had a reading higher 2.6 pH (my tap water is 6.5 - 7.5 pH) before I get through 15 litres.
Thanks Newtown...
I do not have pH meter but it does not last for more than a few weeks at a time so by the sounds of it I am safe.
Appreciate you responding.
Ollie

I left some silicon hoses soaking in starsan mix in my (esky) mash tun for weeks/months/can't remember.

The silicon hoses formed some kind of white powdery surface-crack, I assume it was on the inside too, but they had become opaque.
When you bent the tubes it flaked off. I junked these tubes, and now I rinse and drain silicon tubes with starsan.

I understand beer line is not typically made from silicon type "rubber" (AFAIK), just letting you know my experience.

... it won't dry in a closed system such as connected beer lines...

If Starsan dries into a powder on a surface, 5 Star Chemicals recommends just washing it off, no harm

NewtownClown said:
... it won't dry in a closed system such as connected beer lines...

If Starsan dries into a powder on a surface, 5 Star Chemicals recommends just washing it off, no harm
Hmmm, I thought it was under the surface ... but maybe I junked those lines for nothing :blink:

I can store Starsan/Tap Water solution for about a month before it creeps above a pH of 3.

Hi, I use Ph strips, they are $1 for 80 paper strips, postage free, EBay search "ph test paper". Three packets will last ages. Colour range is 1 to 14.
Cheers

Mr Wibble said:
I left some silicon hoses soaking in starsan mix in my (esky) mash tun for weeks/months/can't remember.

The silicon hoses formed some kind of white powdery surface-crack, I assume it was on the inside too, but they had become opaque.
When you bent the tubes it flaked off. I junked these tubes, and now I rinse and drain silicon tubes with starsan.

I understand beer line is not typically made from silicon type "rubber" (AFAIK), just letting you know my experience.
Hey Wibble,

Have a listen to that link that Newton left above and I have pasted here: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-03-19-06-Sanitation-w/-Charlie-Talley

Go to the 54 minute mark, that is where Charlie from 5 Star Chemicals comes on. It is an awesome listen and you learns hepas of cool shit about the Starsan product and what it can be used for and how far to push its limits.

... and no you definitely would not of needed to throw out those tubes according to the man who invented the stuff.

Newton; that was an awesome share thanks a lot for that.

Ollie

Ollieb said:
Hey Wibble,

Have a listen to that link that Newton left above and I have pasted here: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Sunday-Session/The-Sunday-Session-03-19-06-Sanitation-w/-Charlie-Talley

Go to the 54 minute mark, that is where Charlie from 5 Star Chemicals comes on. It is an awesome listen and you learns hepas of cool shit about the Starsan product and what it can be used for and how far to push its limits.

... and no you definitely would not of needed to throw out those tubes according to the man who invented the stuff.

Newton; that was an awesome share thanks a lot for that.

Ollie
Newtown

Good to know about the Ph .. bought some test strips from ebay. I usually mix up a 20l batch in one of those food grade buckets from the big green shed and keep it for a few months. Testing the ph should give me a good idea when it needs to be replaced. Cheers

It certainly gives you confidence Crouch particularly when re-using star-san for bottle sterilisation.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back