Stalled Stout At 1030?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdavros

Reaction score
Hey all,
The yeast in a stout I'm brewing at the moment seem to have given up. 13th day after pitching the yeast I got a gravity reading of 1030, just took another (16th day) and got the same.
1.8Kg Munton's Mountmellick Dublin Stout Extract
1.5kg Black Rock Dark liquid malt extract
500g Corn Syrup
100g dark brown sugar
munton's yeast that came with the kit
OG 1059
Made to 20 litres
Pitched the yeast at 30deg (I was having trouble cooling it to a sensible temperature) and then chucked it in the frigde. Once it cooled down I set the thermostats to 17-19.

BeerSmith estimates a FG of 1016. What do you reckon? Stir up the yeast a bit? Or chuck in a spare coopers kit yeast?

I'd be expecting slightly higher, due to the maltodextrin (around 1020ish), but certainly not that high. Give the firmenter a gentle stir to resuspend the yeast, and give it a few more days and check again to see if its dropping sg.

Ok, I gave it a stir on the 25th, SG is now ~1028 - not much of a drop really (for 6 days). Tested the hydrometer in water at 20deg, was pretty much spot on 1.000. Have been giving it a spin in the sample to make sure there's no bubbles on it... Any idea whats going on here?

Give the fermenter a serious swirl , enough to break up the yeast cake and get it into suspension.

Increase the temp on you ferment fridge to 20 deg.

Wait for the bubble. If it's still dead pitch another yeast in to get it to chew up the rest of the sugar.
Sounds alot like the yeast was suspect and most of it died as it was too hot.

If neither of those fix it. Bottle and drink it as a desert beer.

BOG

Latest posts

Back