Stalled Fermentation - New Yeast Still Not Kick-starting It!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltedhopalong

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have in the fermenter to 20L:

Morgans Australian Old Kit
1kg Morgans Master Blend Beer Enhancer (2 Row Pale Malt Extract, Glucose and Honey)
500g Maltodextrin
250g Lactose

I didn't get an OG because I busted (yet another) hydrometer as I was about to get it. My specific gravity at the moment is 1.022. I have tried a demo of a few beer programs but been unable to get them to give me an estimated FG. I was confident they could do it but just not sure how.

The fermentation slowed after about 3 days, and was stopped by 4 days. The days were relatively hot (maybe 30 degrees around midday). I racked it and it's just sitting there doing nothing. I pitched another yeast and it's really done very little, maybe a bubble an hour for two days.

Could anyone plug this in and give me an estimated FG? I suppose some of you may be able to tell me just based on experience!?!

Does Lactose increase the specific gravity of the beer?

So I just don't know what to do with this. Whether I should bottle it now or not. Should I dump a little dextrose in to see if it starts bubbling and if it does assume that all the sugar had been fermented out? How long can I sit it in the secondary before the yeast starts eating itself? Just not sure which way to go with this, I suppose it'll end up down the sink but if it can be saved, I'd like to try.

Thanks guys.

Not an expert on Lactose, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't ferment, or at lest doesn't ferment fully. Maltodextrin a bit the same, it's added to give body to a beer. So basically you've got a bunch of unfermentables in your beer, I'd say it's finished.
Lactose as Maltodextrins are both sugars, so yes they will increase your SG, but being complex sugars, the yeast can't attack them as readily.

Brewing programs can be programmed with the attenuation of the yeast, but at least in All Grain brewing if you mash low you can exceed the attenuation percentages without a drama. At least the way I use Promash, it can't account for different grain bills and mash temps affecting the attenuation, that's pretty much an experience thing. Each batch has to be assesed on it's ingredients and a suitable yeast and mash temp chosen to give the desired FG.

Bit the same in your case, now you've just gained the epxerience, you'll know better for next time ;D

Looks like its probably finished to me...You don't say how long its been in the fermenter, but give it 2 weeks if you haven't already.

cheers ross

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help, especially on a saturday night!

It's been in the primary for 1 week, secondary for another whole week tomorrow. Dumped the extra yeast into the secondary on Friday night, not doing anything right now.

Is it worth testing with say 100g of dextrose to see if it ferments that out? I'm worried about leaving it on the old yeast too long, it's all clumped and fallen, so I don't want it to die and start being eaten by the new yeast.

You can if you want, I don't believe you'll achieve much. At 30degs, 100g of Dextrose will be done faster than a 17 yr old who's found a black label copy of Penthouse.

You've added 750g of non-fermentable ingredients. I agree with what's been said in that it's probably finished. How's it taste? Why did you choose to those ingredients for your recipe?

chucked a half a cup of dextrose in last night at around 10pm. Still bubbling slowly today at 24 degrees. Once it's finished with the dextrose, I think it must be finished completely.

Why those ingredients? Why not? The lactose is a bit out of place, maybe, but I like it.

There really was no need for the dextrose....but at least it confirms your beer was finished.

cheers ross

maltedhopalong, I wasn't being critical of your recipe I just wanted to know why you added them. What were you trying to achieve etc. I was simply trying to get into your head.

Thanks NRB. What I just realised is that I didn't mention I also boiled up some hallertau to go with it, I also wanted to add a fair bit of body.

I think the reason I have so many non/partially fermentables is because I want better head retention and a thicker mouthfeel for the darker style. It's come out with a little chocolate type taste, which I think is the additional sweetness accentuating that part of the flavour profile.

What I didn't want was to have a beer that was too dry and bitter.

Ross/NRB/anyone else, do any of the beer programs give you a guide as to what different adjuncts do to the OG?

For example, I read somewhere else on here that lactose adds one twentieth of its weight to the OG. I.e. 200g will add ten points to the OG (1040 -> 1050). Whether or not that's accurate (and I assume he was referring to a 23L batch), I don't know, but it would have been handy to be able to estimate the OG given the ingredients.

Btw, activity has stopped and given that it seems like it must have already been finished (prior to the dex), I'm bottling tonight. If I get a dark-ale-hiroshima, I'll let you know.

wow, thats a lot of non-fermentables.

im surprised that it got as low as 1022 personally.

let us know how it turns out, id expect it to have a pretty horrible slimy mouthfeel, and be rather sweet. dont be surprised if you get a fair bit of gas from drinking it, i hear maltodextrine (corn sugar) does this to you. ive only ever used it once in a stout and didnt like it one bit (used 200g).

if you want more body in a brew, use malt. no excuse for maltodextrine imo, and lactose maybe in a milk stout but thats about it.

Thanks Bugman.

"if you want more body in a brew, use malt. no excuse for maltodextrine imo, and lactose maybe in a milk stout but thats about it."

I have tasted the SG samples and like it. <shrugs> Just can't teach 'em aye?

Hey guys.

Just for the purposes of follow-up (and for anyone who reads this years down the track) I thought I'd let you know how it turned out.

Yummy. Tastes great, really like the palate. But to be honest, with all the extra body/residual sweetness it probably needed to be a bit more bitter.

Do this with a more bitter dark ale can and you'll be right.

Back