Stalled Ferment Evasive Action

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunbrew

Reaction score
Have not had a fermentation problem for a long time.
Until this brew, my 51st , a 110gram 10min Chinook IPA with SG of 1060.
It's also my 1st time using White rabbit yeast.
Since pitching on 25.4.11 it cruised along with the fridge set at 17 degrees for a few days then stopped on 1036.
A keg for this weekends BBQ is required so I set about speeding the fermentation / re-starting it.
Last night I added 2 litres of fresh aerated wort from batch 52.
(Aerated by putting it in a bottle and shaking it)
Also aerated 2 litres of the batch 51 and added it back into the fermenter.
Figure that some beers start at 1036 so aeration half way through hopefully will not stuff the beer.
Removed 600mls and boiled it to kill the yeast (making yeast nutrient) and added that back into the fermenter.
Shook the fermenter.
Brought the temp up to 20 degrees.
This morning it reads 1028 and looks to be fermenting well again and still tastes great.
Plan is to reach final gravity by Wed arvo or thursday morning, crash chill for 12 hours, keg it thursday evening, force carb and be drinking it on saturday.

Questions?
Comments?
Predictions?
Flamings?

Not sure why you'd use a nice english strain & ferment it at 17c? you might as well have used us-05.
English yeasts should be fermented at 20c+ to get some character happening. If you want to start at 17c, I'd be lifting the temp as it ferments, otherwise a stall is very much on the cards.
Just your lifting to 20c is probably all it needed.

cheers ross

Ross (sorry to OP to take off topic), does that instruction include Windsor Yeast, and if so, what is the highest temp that can be reasonably used without giving it a nasty fusel taste?

Goomba

Ross (sorry to OP to take off topic), does that instruction include Windsor Yeast, and if so, what is the highest temp that can be reasonably used without giving it a nasty fusel taste?

Goomba

Windsors recommended range is 17c to 21c & is a very fruity yeast. Personally I'd be using it at 20c.

cheers Ross

Thanks for the replies so far.
Had it on 17 degrees as I have not used the yeast before/ have no idea, and was advised 18 degrees on this site.
20 sounds good for now if it keeps going.
As Lord Raja says anyone know the top temp for this yeast before there are bad flavs?
Cheers.

Thanks Ross, 17 to 21.

Latest posts

Back