Stainless Steel Lpg Gas Tank Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsy85

Reaction score
I just had a thought.....

I have a 95L stainless gas tank out of an old HX Kingswood, could I Modify it to be used as a Conical fermenter, given that is already a pressure vessel, i have the means of welding and modifying stainless and its just sitting there?

what do you guys think? :blink:

A mate and I contemplated this after seeing one going cheap on ebay. In the end it didn't go so cheap! So we never got to see if it would work. But I reckon it would be a goer...

Wouldn't it be better to convert to a kettle?

I just think moving it would be impossible so there would be a bit of work setting it up in the right spot, transferring wort in and out, temp control etc...

2c.

Don't set yourself up for a Darwin award. Any vessel that has been used to store flammable material needs special care when cutting or welding.

You will also want to check if it is suitable for food material after being used as a pressure vessel for lpg. The metal is very slightly porous and some gas will have impreganted the surface. The LPG was under pressure which would have increased the amount of gas molecules forced into the SS. It will slowly continue to leach out for years.

Maybe a welder or metalurgist will come along and make some more comments.

I have a few gas tanks at home but only 60ltr ones?? I was thinking if anyone can convert it so i can fill it will gas and use it as a gas bottle for the burner.

Don't set yourself up for a Darwin award. Any vessel that has been used to store flammable material needs special care when cutting or welding

This is very good advice. Many, many people have been injured and killed by welding, grinding and doing other hot work on drums and tanks - including a high profile member of the wine industry recently. Filling the tank with water or nitrogen/argon before conducting hot work are commonly talked about protective measures, but I'm not even sure whether that is sufficient. Get yourself a copy of Australian Standard 1674.1, "Safety in welding and allied processes - Fire precautions" for starters and if you're not 100% sure what you're doing I'd recommend not doing it.

Don't quote me on this, but I've read that filling a vessel with water before cutting/welding is a *bad* idea. It means the gas within the vessel will occupy a lesser amount of space and be more likely to explode...

sap.

I hadn't thought about the fact you might "grind" the bottle open (ala keg). As Pint of Lager suggested be very careful opening/grinding/cutting the bottle.

Other than that, I thought it would be best as a mash-tun.

cheers

Darren

About 5 years ago I was cutting open a 44 gallon drum that was used to store contact adhesive. It was to be my first crude attempt at a smoker.

I removed the 2 inch metal bung from the top and set fire to it. 3 times I burnt it out. 4'th time no flame. Sweet.

Cut with an angle grinder from the bung clockwise and was doing well. Nice clean cut. Leather gloves, goggles on, hearing protection, sleeves rolled up so they won't catch on the disc. My face had just passed the bung by 20 cm and my arms were positioned over the hole. WOOSH!!! 2'nd degree burns in 1/2 sec!!! I was at my workplace on a Sunday. Just me and my dog. Can't contact my family via phone. Rush home (12 km drive) to drop my dog off and then rush to the hospital. I had the 24 hr limit for morphine in 20 minutes. Still scarred now.

Be careful.

Don't quote me on this, but I've read that filling a vessel with water before cutting/welding is a *bad* idea. It means the gas within the vessel will occupy a lesser amount of space and be more likely to explode...

sap.

Actually most gasses needs air (oxygen) to explode/burn, so filling with water drives off the gas and air so if it does go bang it will be much smaller. If the vessel had liquid fuel in it then filling with water will not, necessarily, remove it. I have seen a 44 gallon oil drum hit the work shop ceiling hard (5-6 meters at a guess) when being oxied in half, so be very careful

I would be concerned about the smell, LPG on its own is odourless so it has something added to it so you can detect leaks with your nose. Im guessing that some of this would have diffused in to the steel and would slowly come back out, I could be wrong though the particles might be too big to diffuse much.

Offy

If it were me I would wash it out as already advised, then cut it open using a jigsaw.

I realise that this will be a time consuming job as its stainless and will work harden easily, but you'll minimise your chance of it catching fire. Once its open then it will be fine to work with.

OR

Wash it out and have a bonfire and throw it on. If its stainless it wont bugger it other than discolour it and once its been heated like that you'll know if its safe to cut or not.

Run a hose from your car exhaust and purge the tank. Leave it hooked up and running and you can weld with no problem.
I have welded petrol tanks for cars this way.

As for having gas in the tank and then using for beer in any way I have no idea if will be good or not, but I would tend not to do it.

Cheers,
Bud

Thanks all,

The plan is to purge with argon, the tanks been sitting there with the valves open for a \bout 5 years so not too worried abou the gas inside. we'll purge it just to be sure though. I'll be using a 4 inch cap of a stainless milk tanker for the lid and place it half way down the tank so i can clean top and bottom. i have a couple of ss ball valves that i'll use and i'll fit a thread to the top so i can interchange a air lock or adjustable pressure relief valve if a want to force carb. I also have a 50l keg i'll be doing the same day.

A big easter weekend for me :D

keep us all posted, some photo's would be good too

the tanks been sitting there with the valves open for a \bout 5 years so not too worried abou the gas inside.

The gas will still be inside if your valve is above the lowest point. LPG tanks can be self purged by having the opening at the ABSOLUTE lowest point, as gas is heavier than normal air.

If it's been 5 years, then think about all the contaminants that could have walked into the tank and are now ready for fermentation! :icon_drool2: (spiders, ants, ????)

There have been some concerning comments on this topic.

Many (most) people who have welded or worked with an angle grinder on an enclosed vessel that has contained flammable liquids / gases has risked explosion and gotten away with it.

The conditions have to be just right for an explosion. Leaving it sit for 5 years or filling it with water might help, then again it might lead to just the right mix of air and vapour or gas for an explosion.

The Polkolbin incident was mentioned. In 2004 I was involved in fire fighting a 7 million litre ethanol tank after an explosion caused by hot work.

Now and then the odds stack up against an unfortunate metal worker.

Search for "stoichiometric mix" or "lower explosive limit" for the science of it.

Play safe.

regards,
Scott

i wouldn't take the chance, sell it for scrap and put the money towards a conical from one of the sponsors.

Latest posts

Back