Stainless Steel HELP!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it to a local welding joint and offer them $20 to patch it up. It'll probably take 10 minutes of their time and you're done.

Im thinking the local welding joint will be giving you a price to do it not vice versa

Yep, that could very well be the case and if it's a stupid price go to the next one.

Further to elcarter's suggestion.

Make the hole just large enough to pass through a ss socket. Sit it in there just enough to cover the curve and get it welded both sides.

Then plug or use a reducing bush to mount a Thermowell.

Alternatively, use the weld it stuff with a plug straight into the hole.

Since I'm pretty useless on the tools I think I'm just going to take it to a local welder and get them to fix it. Thanks again for all the suggestions guys. I especially liked the illustrations. What a great resource AHB is

Just in case you were wondering this is what I have done for now until I can get it welded. The bung seems to be holding well and no leaks so far. Can anyone see a problem with this?

IMG_2014.jpg

Looks like you could just put a bolt through the bung with washers either side and just tighten it up and it would be compressed to seal up more securely.

Have no idea what that means.....
Pictures do help, below is a hex nipple. These are the cheapest way to add a port to any stainless vessel ~$5. The hex part give a good base to weld to. The cap is just there til you find a use for the hole.

The long stiky thing is a PTI 100 temp probe that's a scientific device that will allow you to measure temperature to an incredibly accurate level when calibrated and combined with a PID controller. Useful for controlling a heating element to make precise hot water for tea or beer. Or as I called it "wank".

cap.jpg

hex.jpg

pti.jpg

Latest posts

Back