Stainless hop spider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 x hop bag + clip to stop bag floating away = cheap and does the job i never get hops in my plate chiller

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406079271.191100.jpg

i use these tea balls. Easy to use and easy to clean. I have 4 or 5, they just clip onto the pot.

beercus said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1406079271.191100.jpg

i use these tea balls. Easy to use and easy to clean. I have 4 or 5, they just clip onto the pot.
how many grams can you fit in on of those balls?

Does it matter if you over fill them - ie do the hops need to be able to float around in the ball, or it doesn't matter if they swell up and the ball is packed tight????

I was just reading about these over at hbtalk. Arborfab.com seems to be cheaper than stainless brewing and people comment highly about them.

If my addition is more than 30g I will split into 2 balls. At the end of the boil they can be completely full if i use more than that. They are very cheap so with 4 or 5 you will be ok with a standard 23L brew (as long as its not a hop hog clone!)

lael said:
I was just reading about these over at hbtalk. Arborfab.com seems to be cheaper than stainless brewing and people comment highly about them.
I got the smallest arbor fab one. Flowers used..... Noooooo. Fills up too quick.
Now I have one of these balls too. I can manage a bit on the bottom of the pot with a whirlpool but not 200g worth. Bit here bit there.

How much can the arborfab ones fit? Happy with it? Did you go the 300micron one? I'm curious whether the 300 or 400 is better.

I bought one of the tea bag thingo's and used it once I go to coles and buy the cheapest knee high stocking thingo's 4 pair for 2 bucks type stuff and use once then use to tie my tomatoes up

beercus said:
If my addition is more than 30g I will split into 2 balls. At the end of the boil they can be completely full if i use more than that. They are very cheap so with 4 or 5 you will be ok with a standard 23L brew (as long as its not a hop hog clone!)
I use 3 'tea' balls and drop them into a stainless hop spider.

My last brew I did 3 additions of 40g of pellets in each ball. Each addition didn't even fill one half of the ball.

Cheers
Matty.

lael said:
How much can the arborfab ones fit? Happy with it? Did you go the 300micron one? I'm curious whether the 300 or 400 is better.
This one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170945571010

I think mine is the 300 micron one. I wouldn't bother going finer. Would be harder to clean and restrictive.

I used 200 grams of hops in a double batch and that was too much for that small one. I reckon 100g of pellets will be fine. It's not very tall, doesn't reach down into my kettle (60L pot about as wide as tall) far enough, wish I'd gotten the taller one.

With micron the larger the number the larger the hole. So 400 is less fine than 300. I think some people commented they thought the 300 got clogged with hot break and pelet gunk too easily and didn't let wort mix with the pellets enough.

How do you find yours?

Ah.... See, not thinking straight there.

It didn't clog. But then again mine didn't go down to the bottom and I introduce the first hop addition after the rolling boil has started. I suppose 400 should be better then. This one is very fine and you won't want any finer than 300.

There's a consensus over on HBT that 300microns is the way to go: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-way-control-pellet-hop-gunk-352293/index3.html Be ready to read ~50 pages on that thread!

I had Chad at arborfab make me a 300micron one (15cm diameter, 45cm tall) to fit my pot perfectly and it works a charm. I've certainly never had any clogging issues and I've brewed up some hop monsters with all late addition hops.

Utah bio diesel. I got some stuff and he sells ones that drop in to the keg.

Lael,
I recon I could do with one of the arborfab hop spiders, might be cheaper shipping getting two.
That's of course if u go down that track.
Tateg

lael said:
What was your total cost mb?
Chad charged me $90 shipped (to a US address where I picked it up when I was over there). Don't know what shipping to OZ would cost...

Back