Stainless Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've just gone to a stainless fermenter, only one batch through it and seemed to work well. it's a keg. simple and easy and means I don't have to lift a 50L fermenter out and up for gravity feed to the filter/corny. I just hook up the co2 and push the sweet nectar out.

printed forms section said:
i've just gone to a stainless fermenter, only one batch through it and seemed to work well. it's a keg. simple and easy and means I don't have to lift a 50L fermenter out and up for gravity feed to the filter/corny. I just hook up the co2 and push the sweet nectar out.
You push it out your beer out post? Wouldn't it block up with yeast, break, etc?

Spiesy said:
You push it out your beer out post? Wouldn't it block up with yeast, break, etc?
beer post is bent up to stay above trub and i always crash chill so it drops out hard in the bottom.

As i've only done this once i'm no expert but it worked great for me first time. my 50L keg actually has a corny top welded into it so i can easily get in for cleaning or rebending beer out dip tube as needed.

First time though i was very happy, from a 45L into fermenter brew I was only 1 Litre short on my final into corny volume. super happy as all i'm looking for from my brew system is 2 full cornies each time.

there's a few other posts/threads on here somewhere about keg fermenters. It's where i got the idea.

does the lid seal?

I guess you could use gladwrap.

Florian said:
I'm in the process of ordering a 25cmx40cm along with some of the other milk pots. Waiting for some more information, but very close.

Florian said:
No welded seam, so looks good. I'll like to see one before I placed an order. Looking forward to your reports Iael.

Batz

The thing with those is though, by the time you add a bulkhead fitting and tap you're almost at the same cost than one of those Mangrove Jack's fermenters, bar 10 or 20 bucks.
Unless the shipping price drops dramatically when you do bulk-ish orders.

I do like the shape of them though.

I would love to see the inside of this olive drum style, as the ones I have seen, being dedicated olive drums from Wine Maker type places have a 'rolled' bottom join which is a massive crevice around the bottom that would be impossible to clean.

NOT saying these do, just saying what I have seen from looking at stuff with my lookin type melon agates.

2c.

Yes, Melon Agotes.

Cocko said:
I would love to see the inside of this olive drum style, as the ones I have seen, being dedicated olive drums from Wine Maker type places have a 'rolled' bottom join which is a massive crevice around the bottom that would be impossible to clean.

NOT saying these do, just saying what I have seen from looking at stuff with my lookin type melon agates.

2c.

Yes, Melon Agotes.

I was under the impression that there is no rolled, folded or welded base. If there is I've lost all interest.

Batz

I checked out the oil drums and there are two types welded base which has a crevice that looked like a PITA to clean which defeats the purpose of going stainless. The other type had no seam, they also have a thread built into the wall of the drum I wasn't sure what size it was but I didn't like the tap that came with it and the shop couldn't tell me what thread it was so I though it might be hard to change out.
In the end though they were about the same price as Mangrove jack fermenters, but didn't have measurements built in and didn't have a full width opening which I thought may make it harder to clean.
Still very happy with my mangrove jacks one.

Batz said:
No welded seam, so looks good. I'll like to see one before I placed an order. Looking forward to your reports Iael.

Batz
Just placed the order... I'll let you know in 30 days or so. Sea freight is cheap (apart from customs etc lol) based on quotes from this supplier and others. So... could work out ok for a bulk buy. Plus - if the larger milk pots work out well people might be interested in different sizes for brau clones and we can nest the pots (what I'm doing with this order...)

Back