SS fermenter upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thrifty McThrift

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been using a ~30L Coopers plastic fermenter for the last 3 years to brew Coopers stout, Pale Ale and Morgans ginger beer etc. , probably about 300L through it to date, I have never had any failures as such and only one or two batches maybe had a slight flavour shift, on the whole it's been very drinkable products. The Coopers fermenter doesn't even have a bubbler yet seems to work fine.

However nothing but nothing seems to remove the odour it has accumulated over the years, so I would like to upgrade to a SS brew bucket style of fermenter.

I can't see myself getting any more involved with home brewing than the off the shelf Coopers products and similar, so I only need a simple fermenter. I guess some things to look for are;

1. Not brushed but polished interior surface.
  2. Ability to disassemble the outlet tap.
  3. Short base so I can place it in the laundry tub in summer and immerse the bottom portion in cold water to maintain temperature.
A few questions though.
  1. Any merit/difference between conical base v flat base.
  2. Tall or squat?
  3. Air volume above liquid level, ie. is it better to have reduced air volume, say 23L of liquid in a 25L fermenter than 23L in 30L fermenter, does the extra air (O2) taint the flavour?
  4. Are sealing lids really necessary, after all the folks at Coopers didn't seem to think so.
  5. Anything wrong with the Bucket Buddy fermenters at ~$170
  6. Any outlets in SA selling SS fermenters? Every shop I look at online only stocks plastic.
Appreciate all tips and thoughts.

Cheers.

1. Conicals help concentrate the yeast, hops and proteins at the base. If your fermenter has a tap/valve at the bottom of the cone, you can easily remove it.
2. No difference at the homebrew scale.
3. No. You won't get oxidation from the headspace. Look up coolships, Yorkshire squares, the Burton union system. All partially open to the air.
4. Depends when. I would be putting an airlock on until you see active fermentation and after fermentation slows down. You can leave it off (open fermentation) while it's fermenting and this is done by some to enhance ester formation with some yeasts. Most brewers just keep the airlock/blow off hose on the entire fermentation. (ahh, I think I see what you are saying, I've not used the new Coopers fermenters where it remains closed due to the weight of the lid until the CO2 escapes due to pressure burping the lid - you can do it that way if you like).
5. No.
6. I don't know unfortunately. I'm no longer a local.

Hi,

I have been using a ~30L Coopers plastic fermenter for the last 3 years to brew Coopers stout, Pale Ale and Morgans ginger beer etc. , probably about 300L through it to date, I have never had any failures as such and only one or two batches maybe had a slight flavour shift, on the whole it's been very drinkable products. The Coopers fermenter doesn't even have a bubbler yet seems to work fine.

However nothing but nothing seems to remove the odour it has accumulated over the years, so I would like to upgrade to a SS brew bucket style of fermenter.

I can't see myself getting any more involved with home brewing than the off the shelf Coopers products and similar, so I only need a simple fermenter. I guess some things to look for are;

3. Short base so I can place it in the laundry tub in summer and immerse the bottom portion in cold water to maintain temperature.
A few questions though.
  2. Tall or squat?
  3. Air volume above liquid level, ie. is it better to have reduced air volume, say 23L of liquid in a 25L fermenter than 23L in 30L fermenter, does the extra air (O2) taint the flavour?
  4. Are sealing lids really necessary, after all the folks at Coopers didn't seem to think so.
  6. Any outlets in SA selling SS fermenters? Every shop I look at online only stocks plastic.

Cheers.
Doubt you would get a s/steel internally polished fermenter, if you live up to your Posting name of Thrifty McThrift go for the Keg King Apollo PET fermenter. Glue a chime to the bottom and you have the lowest profile you could wish for. The conical base gives less surface area in contact with your beer. Sealing lids aren't needed in your case, you aren't monitoring fermentation temperature, just a bit of glad wrap secured with an elastic band. Apollo would work out cheap without all the paraphernalia. You could even get away with a second as your not pressure fermenting.
IMG_0606.JPG

Hi,

A few questions though.
  2. Tall or squat?

Cheers.
I'm happy with my KL 32L SS conical as per attached link
https://kegland.com.au/products/32l-304-stainless-steel-conical-fermenter#pdp-description-section

If I may, the best upgrade would be a 2nd hand fridge with an inkbird,

only issue would be getting one the size of the fat Coopers fermenter

Would save having to keep a constant eye on the weather (and leave your laundry tub available for emergencies)

If I may, the best upgrade would be a 2nd hand fridge with an inkbird,

only issue would be getting one the size of the fat Coopers fermenter

Would save having to keep a constant eye on the weather (and leave your laundry tub available for emergencies)

I second this recommendation - temperature control with your current fermenter will make more of a difference than a stainless or other fermenter without it.

Latest posts

Back