Ss Conical - Flat Or Domed Lid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
If the tax man smiles on me this year I am looking at buying a Blichmann Conical (14 Gallon).

I see there are 2 variants available - one with a flat lid and one with a domed lid. As the domed lid variant is the later of the 2 models available (and the more expensive).

The website says that the fermentable volume in the domed lid is greater (by a couple of litres). This wont be an issue as 30L is the biggest batch I will make.

The pictures of the domed lid look like the clamping of the lid is done with a big clover type clamp - looks a bit clumsy.

Apart from that does anyone who uses a conical have any comments.

Thanks

RM

If the tax man smiles on me this year I am looking at buying a Blichmann Conical (14 Gallon).

I see there are 2 variants available - one with a flat lid and one with a domed lid. As the domed lid variant is the later of the 2 models available (and the more expensive).

The website says that the fermentable volume in the domed lid is greater (by a couple of litres). This wont be an issue as 30L is the biggest batch I will make.

The pictures of the domed lid look like the clamping of the lid is done with a big clover type clamp - looks a bit clumsy.

Apart from that does anyone who uses a conical have any comments.

Thanks

RM
hi rodger if they are both 14 gallon the domed one will give you a larger batch size if you need it in the future because of the head space i just got a 31 gallon conical hopper .the domed lid also gives a more sturdy lid than flat ones IMO
and the bilchmann can be pressurised
cheers paul

I'd go the domed purely as I think it would be more structurally sound. Also handy to have that extra headspace if you're fermenting something that throws off a big krausen (rather than losing it through your blowoff tube.

Bumping this and adding another question

Does anyone have the Blichmann 14.5 Gallon Domed lid conical? Could someone give me the OD of the widest measurement on the cone part (which i gather is the lid)

The blichmann website has for the dimensions - 18.5 inches - which by my calcs is 470mm. However the ibrew dude is telling me that it is 500mm plus the legs.

I have 480mm to play with.

Beers

RM

Gday

I have two 7 gallon conicals with the flat lid and they seem to work well but I have to be careful not to over tighten them because they will warp and let air in.

Cheers Aspro

Hi Roger,

I just brought the 14.2 gallon domed top version back with me from the states - its a sexy piece of gear!

I'm not sure that the maxium width will worry you if you are trying to fit it in a fridge - it can go a bit bigger on the diagonal.

I've just been down to the shed and measure her up. The lid with band clamp on is the widest - the three measurements you will be interested in:

Lid width at narrowest - 450
Lid width with one leg (the are offset so you don't ever get two legs across) - 470
Lid width at widest (two handles are on either side opposite each other) - 520

If you need more info or photos, let me know.

As an aside, I think the 14.2 only comes in a domed version - the flat is a smaller conical. Thats my understanding anyway.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Hi Roger,

I just brought the 14.2 gallon domed top version back with me from the states - its a sexy piece of gear!

I'm not sure that the maxium width will worry you if you are trying to fit it in a fridge - it can go a bit bigger on the diagonal.

I've just been down to the shed and measure her up. The lid with band clamp on is the widest - the three measurements you will be interested in:

Lid width at narrowest - 450
Lid width with one leg (the are offset so you don't ever get two legs across) - 470
Lid width at widest (two handles are on either side opposite each other) - 520

If you need more info or photos, let me know.

As an aside, I think the 14.2 only comes in a domed version - the flat is a smaller conical. Thats my understanding anyway.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Fantastic - it will fit.

Now see if the taxman plays his part.

Cheers

RM

Ahh!, A conical, now thats somthing I lust after. Mabe if I win the lotto...

If or when I can afford one though I would probably go with the More Beer type though. Ive looked into it a bit and it seems to me that welded fittings not weld-less fittings are the way to go.

From what I gather the Blichmann ones need to be stripped down and all of the parts need to be sanatised. yes it has the benifit (gimic?) of being able to presureize it but you can get the Morebeer ones with bigger dump valves...

It seems both companies put down each other in their advertisement blurb but Im still sold on the Morebeer type. (Plus my mate at ibrew dont seem to hit it off too well!...)

What do others think?

Ahh!, A conical, now thats somthing I lust after. Mabe if I win the lotto...

If or when I can afford one though I would probably go with the More Beer type though. Ive looked into it a bit and it seems to me that welded fittings not weld-less fittings are the way to go.

From what I gather the Blichmann ones need to be stripped down and all of the parts need to be sanatised. yes it has the benifit (gimic?) of being able to presureize it but you can get the Morebeer ones with bigger dump valves...

It seems both companies put down each other in their advertisement blurb but Im still sold on the Morebeer type. (Plus my mate at ibrew dont seem to hit it off too well!...)

What do others think?

Hefferlocken,

Please let me know if you do decide to go ahead with one. I'm on the Goldie too and may also be interested in getting one at the same time so we could perhaps save a little on postage.... FYI - I emailed beerbelly.com.au about 6 months back about the possibility of him developing one. He sounded as though he was definitely planning on developing one, but didn't give any time frames.

Cheers,
Michael.

Back