Sqyre's American Style Bbq Smoker...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to boil them. Just make sure you take the membrane off as it acts as a flavour barrier. Apparently rubbing in a cheap mustard before the rub is a good idea. The long smoking takes the taste of the mustard away but leaves a great crust!@

anyhow your practice run Sqyre look mighty tasty.

Years ago i used to do Ribs in the Weber and would actually Cook them first in a Pressure Cooker for 20minutes then into a marinate...
This would cook and soften up the Meat real quick and also make it very juicy..
Then 30minutes in the Weber with Hickory chips and Perfecto...

A quick and easy way to make Tasty fall off the bone Ribs... :icon_cheers:

Sqyre...

Have you tried the lamb riblets yet???

No... <_<
Never seen them at the butchers...i'm sure they are probably difficult to come by unless you buy a lamb... :unsure:
hmmmm.. maybe Goat Riblets???
Got a couple of them hanging a round...
We could make like Marilyn Manson and just remove a couple... :ph34r:

Sqyre.. :unsure:

What type of wood/chips do you guys/gals use for your smoke source.
Do you use anything other than the stuff you can buy at BBQ places etc.
I understand it would need to be dry and not contain a lot of resin (like pine)

Cheers

Wobbly

What type of wood/chips do you guys/gals use for your smoke source.
Do you use anything other than the stuff you can buy at BBQ places etc.
I understand it would need to be dry and not contain a lot of resin (like pine)

Cheers

Wobbly

Hey Wobbly, i personally have been using some very old logs that were used as fence posts on my property...
I do need to spend some time and learn how to identify different types of wood as there is a bit of difference in smoke flavour for each..

Sqyre...

So my question would be is how long did the Pizza take to cook? I have the slab down for the pizza oven and this looks a treat.

Gavo.

So my question would be is how long did the Pizza take to cook? I have the slab down for the pizza oven and this looks a treat.

Gavo.

Gavo,
They were only thin Pizzas, about 25 minutes..

Sqyre..

Sqyre,
The next door neighbour has a pecan nut tree. Just so happens there he needs a couple of branches removed. I was thinking that I would run them thru the muncher and then dry them for smoking at the case swap. Pecan=Hickory IIRC?

Interested?

Cheers

Chappo

All this talk about ribs reminded me about ribs that Ross made and served in what I believe was the first QLD case swap at his place back in 05, I did a search and found the recipe, I'm gonna make them this sunday, they were bloody lovely from memory

Ross_ribs.jpg

cheers

Browndog

Good old Ironbark is probably the best aussie wood for smoking, and it burns hot so you get some heat...great bang-for-your-buck

Sqyre,
The next door neighbour has a pecan nut tree. Just so happens there he needs a couple of branches removed. I was thinking that I would run them thru the muncher and then dry them for smoking at the case swap. Pecan=Hickory IIRC?

Interested?

Cheers

Chappo

We can give it a go Chappo.. ;)
Chips may cause a lot of smoke though.. Might be better if cut into small logs.. but it may not dry in time...

Sqyre..

We can give it a go Chappo.. ;)
Chips may cause a lot of smoke though.. Might be better if cut into small logs.. but it may not dry in time...

Sqyre..

Yeah that's why I was going to chip it up. I will put it aside as logs and I guess we'll just have to suck it and see if it dries out in time. Mind the fine weather lately may be in our favour?

All this talk about ribs reminded me about ribs that Ross made and served in what I believe was the first QLD case swap at his place back in 05,

Bloody hell Tony, quite the memory there mate, why haven't you killed those brain cells with beer yet?

Bloody hell Tony, quite the memory there mate, why haven't you killed those brain cells with beer yet?

You know the story about the slow buffalo and the fast buffalo Zizzle, my one brain cell left is extremely sharp.

Tony..

I remember when I first meet you and Kiwi Greg at Rossco's for an AG demo...Them ribs where awsome....

Funny how by the end of the night, Ross had 2 pool tables , 37 Taps , 7 dart boards and a floor that seemed steeper than Mt Everest... :ph34r:

And that was long before Ross did his first bulk hop buy using double sealed Glad Zip-Lock bags....AHhh the memories.. :icon_cheers:

Tony..

I remember when I first meet you and Kiwi Greg at Rossco's for an AG demo...Them ribs where awsome....

Funny how by the end of the night, Ross had 2 pool tables , 37 Taps , 7 dart boards and a floor that seemed steeper than Mt Everest... :ph34r:

And that was long before Ross did his first bulk hop buy using double sealed Glad Zip-Lock bags....AHhh the memories.. :icon_cheers:

Yes Stu, I remember it well, I remember standing at Ross's bar with you and Greg and there was only 4 taps then and discovering what real beer was. It was the day I discovered my true passion (exept for my wife that is)

cheers

Browndog

Hey Guys, I thought i might post a few pics of my latest Project the American style BBQ Smoker..
I originally was going to build a Cold smoker which used for preserving meats etc using smoke only with no cooking heat but i found the Slow cooking Smoker interesting so i thought i would give it a go.
I found a heap of info on this online as its Massive in the USA with them holding Huge Competions etc.etc

It basically works as a large oven but using in-direct heat from another chamber that has the fire in it...
It is a little tricky to run at first as you need to try and maintain a constant heat as the fire dies down and the new wood added flares up..

Still got a few additions to make like Handles for the doors and a Firewood holder underneath but other wise it right to use..
I will post a few pics of Test Cooking day shortly...

Sqyre.... ;)

G'day Sqyre, top post, you do bloody nice work mate B)

i suppose when you build something like this, learning to cook with it is all trial & error but do you have any tips to kick off with ?

also, does having the flue cap open create much draw through the fire box or is all the control on the inlet at the fire-box ?

one more thing, size, i realise you have some big dos at your joint and therefore end up feeding the masses, would a smoker half the size of yours be too small for just regular use do you think ?

again, nice job, i love this stuff :)

cheers

Dave

what was the tube/drums originally, hot water tanks?

Latest posts

Back