Sqyre's American Style Bbq Smoker...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqyre

Bee & Thistle Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I thought i might post a few pics of my latest Project the American style BBQ Smoker..
I originally was going to build a Cold smoker which used for preserving meats etc using smoke only with no cooking heat but i found the Slow cooking Smoker interesting so i thought i would give it a go.
I found a heap of info on this online as its Massive in the USA with them holding Huge Competions etc.etc

It basically works as a large oven but using in-direct heat from another chamber that has the fire in it...
It is a little tricky to run at first as you need to try and maintain a constant heat as the fire dies down and the new wood added flares up..

Anyhoo here is a few pics of the building Process...

DSCF9906.JPGDSCF9870.JPG
Cutting the doors and welding the ends on the pipe...
DSCF9913.JPGDSCF9910.JPG
DSCF9917.JPG

Making and adding the hinges...
DSCF9922.JPGDSCF9926.JPG

Making the Ashbox Door with Air inlet adjuster for Temp control...
DSCF9991.JPGDSCF9996.JPG
DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0077.JPG

The Fire Box Grate to support the Fire and the pull out BBQ Grill YeeHaw!!!...
DSCF0026.JPGDSCF0016.JPG

All put together and a stand with wheels..
DSCF0017.JPG

Then all painted up..
DSCF0269.JPGDSCF0287.JPGDSCF0270.JPGDSCF0274.JPG

Then then the burning in / Seasoning run...
DSCF0292.JPGDSCF0297.JPGDSCF0300.JPG

Still got a few additions to make like Handles for the doors and a Firewood holder underneath but other wise it right to use..
I will post a few pics of Test Cooking day shortly...

Sqyre.... ;)

Attachments

• DSCF9913.JPG
    DSCF9913.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0269.JPG
    DSCF0269.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 33
Very very impressive. :super: :icon_cheers:

Oh, to be able to weld like an expert. Unfortunately, not one of my skills.

thats magical. ribs, ribs and more ribs. like a full slab of ribs.

watched a doco on foxtel the other night where they sent a guy to the US to compete in one of those comps...he had never cooked on one before. was pretty insightfull. apparentlly its all about the rub you choose to use ;)

i'll see if i can get it on youtube for ya sq's.

That sir, is a thing of beauty and a joy to behold.

Its pictures like that that make me wish I knew how to weld stuff together.

Cheers
Dave

Man, case swap looks even better now!! :super:

And heres a few pics of the Trial Run where everything turned out AWESOME!!! :super:
We started off the day with a lovely cut of Pork..
DSCF0307.JPG DSCF0308.JPG
DSCF0307.JPGDSCF0307.JPG

Then chucked in a couple of homemade Pizzas for lunch...
MMmmmm Smokey Woodfired Pizza it was THE BEST!!!
DSCF0315.JPGDSCF0316.JPGDSCF0318.JPG
DSCF0322.JPGDSCF0319.JPG

Then left the Pork to slow cook away for the rest of the arvo...
DSCF0317.JPGDSCF0323.JPGDSCF0324.JPG

Early in the Afternoon i decided to wrap the Pork in foil as i wanted a smokey Pork not a Bushfire in my mouth..
DSCF0326.JPG

Unfortunatly i dont have any pics of the results carved up but it was tender... i could pretty much carve it with 2 forks..
It wasn't quite as juicey and tender as meat from a whole Pig done on the spit...but i wasn't expecting it on my first run..
I also over cooked by about and hour or so...
Total cooking time was about 8 hours at 125, i would like to go lower Temp next time and cook longer that should be real nice.....

I think nice big load of babyback ribs will be the next thing... :icon_drool2:

Cheers,
Sqyre :icon_cheers:

:wub: I think I need to change my pants?

Bloody hell Brucie talk about holding out on us! Err... I see you suffer the same disease as me? Over-Engineerous-Maximus. Looks like the the hinges have come off a dozer or something? How thick are the drum walls? Did you have the drum rolled or did something else get carved up?

I've been looking and contemplating making one of these for ages. Since living in YankyDoodle land I have missed how great a feed these guys make.

Tells ya what how's about I bring over 10kg of home made topside sausages, a big 8kg haunch of pork, a couple of kegs of Summer Ale and we discuss the ins and outs of the build? Problems is what will we feed the SWMBO's and kiddies?

PM sent!

Chap Chap

Edit: Speelinkz

thats magical. ribs, ribs and more ribs. like a full slab of ribs.

watched a doco on foxtel the other night where they sent a guy to the US to compete in one of those comps...he had never cooked on one before. was pretty insightfull. apparentlly its all about the rub you choose to use ;)

i'll see if i can get it on youtube for ya sq's.

I think Renaes Mum or Uncle might have taped that one for us.. but lets us know if it does surface on you tube.. thanks Fents

Sqyre.. ;)

not the one i was looking for, cant find it :(

still a good insight tho. i'll keep hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is so cool.

You have to smoke a chicken. Yum

I wonder what beer can smoked chicken is like!

Love your work Brucie.... You have me wondering how I can make a pizza oven out of a 44, gonna go google it right now.

cheers

Browndog

You do top work mate.

A thing of beauty. You are a real craftsman.

I am thinking of making one myself.
I obtained a stand alone fire place which would make a perfect fire box, it is cast iron.
Just need to build the oven and mount all on a cart.

Cheers,
Bud

What can I say Brucie? :super: Absolutely excellent. Can't imagine the number of hours you spent planning & making that?

Eerrr, how are you going to get it to Winkles? Looks a little too big for your boot. :rolleyes:

TP

What is it with Qld brewers and pure talent...................Farking nice Bruce.

Screwy

For a heap of info on slow cooked seppo style bbq, go to bbq-brethren.com and read the mammoth UDS thread. Also look at http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943, which is a more condensed how-to. Upshot is, as seriously excellent as that cooker looks, and I'm sure is, the style is also available to those with slightly less skills with metal, but who can do the basic cut and drill routine. Site's full of seppos though, so be sure to turn off your bs detectors and arrogant wanker meters before you visit. Some great info there but.
Sqyre, very nice looking job.

Thanks Guys,
there are dozens of websites that show you how to build cheap basic smokers up to big arse trailer mounted jobs.
There is also Hours of Smoker building, using, etc. Video's on Youtube..

I pretty much spent about a week straight searching the net to get all the info i could before i started building...

I pretty much made it from scrap that was lying around the house except for the Grill i bought a few lengths of 8mm steel bar to fabricate it and the Fire box Grate...

I wanted to make a standard size one just to try it out and make sure i was happy with the results..
When i get some other projects around the house completed i will look at starting work on building its Big Brother... ;)

Cheers Sqyre.. :icon_cheers:

Back