Sqyre's American Style Bbq Smoker...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Early in the Afternoon i decided to wrap the Pork in foil as i wanted a smokey Pork not a Bushfire in my mouth..
View attachment 30686

I see some Rauch Malt coming along sometime soon! ;)

OMG what a thing of wonder, I miss slow smoked ribs and brisket so much.....mmmmm

I had some slow smoked ribs here in Vietnam (in Nha Trang) at an Texas BBQ restaurant. The ribs where that well cooked the bone melted in your mouth! i watched a little doco on Discovery Food and travel about US BBQ's ( i think this might be what fents watched, all the guy wanted was a salad hahaha!) Awesome awesome bbq's. They are the masters!

Brucie that is an absolute piece of art. Man that is hot. Smokin hot... so smokin hot...... Top job man now thats a job done by a true craftsmen..

I'm now very hungry.

Brad

Jeez Sqyre, that is awesome. I've seen a few of those and always drooled about having one, yours looks like it's one of the better made ones. Your going to be cooking some really great Bbq's.

Andrew

A bit off topic, but I'm mechanically illiterate, but I was hoping someone who isn't could take a quick look at these plans (which look easy enough for even me to manage) and let me know if there is anything wrong with them?
http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

Looks ok in theory, Jon..
I would be very carfull using electric elements in steel bins if the bin gets hot enough it could melt the insulation... or cut into the cord where the hole for the plug is..
Probably the only other thing i can think of is the use of zinc plated or galvanised bins...at certain temps they can give of nasty fumes..

I think it would be a case of give it as try and see.. it seem to work ok for that guy..

Sqyre... ;)

Bruce,
Did you have some plate rolled to make it? Am I right in guessing that the thickness is 3-5mm? Or is it TOP SECRET :ph34r:
Chap Chap

Bruce,
Did you have some plate rolled to make it? Am I right in guessing that the thickness is 3-5mm? Or is it TOP SECRET :ph34r:
Chap Chap
Sorry mate i thought we were going to go through the finer points when we caught up.. (it's not looking too good for this weekend either..)
Its made from a couple of Coiled Steel casings.. its basically a rolled bit of plate thats been welded to make a pipe that protects the inside of the coil of steel during transport......
they are difficult to come by as they are from precision import coils but I managed to get my hands on a few...
And yeh its 4mm...

Sqyre.. ;)

Sorry mate i thought we were going to go through the finer points when we caught up.. (it's not looking too good for this weekend either..)
Its made from a couple of Coiled Steel casings.. its basically a rolled bit of plate thats been welded to make a pipe that protects the inside of the coil of steel during transport......
they are difficult to come by as they are from precision import coils but I managed to get my hands on a few...
And yeh its 4mm...

Sqyre.. ;)

Thanks Sqyre! Sorry to push mate.

Yeah still want to catch up for sure you slack old tart but I was just interested in costing it up a bit in my somewhat small brain. I was going to go trolling thru Underwood Demolitions and Scrap this weekend to see what they may have to suit?

Chappo

Thanks Sqyre! Sorry to push mate.

Yeah still want to catch up for sure you slack old tart but I was just interested in costing it up a bit in my somewhat small brain. I was going to go trolling thru Underwood Demolitions and Scrap this weekend to see what they may have to suit?

Chappo

No worries Chappo, i wont tell how much mine cost me to build... :rolleyes:
you would be cursing my name for ever more....

Ahhh stuff it.. why not... would you believe $100 :D
and $60 of that was the Hi-temp paint..
everything else was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time,
and re-using bits of old scrap from around the house...

Sqyre... :p

you would be cursing my name for ever more....

No your wrong Sqyre I just out and out hate you now! P.rick!

Actually good on ya $100. I'm going to go for a look see arounf the scrap places tomorrow to see what I can find that maybe able to be modified. Ones nowhere near as good or impressive as yours are going on evil bay for $2000 plus... FFS

Chappo

Old hot water systems are perfect for the job, and cheap as

MAde a couple before, you just need to weld legs on and cut out a door

Looks ok in theory, Jon..
I would be very carfull using electric elements in steel bins if the bin gets hot enough it could melt the insulation... or cut into the cord where the hole for the plug is..
Probably the only other thing i can think of is the use of zinc plated or galvanised bins...at certain temps they can give of nasty fumes..

I think it would be a case of give it as try and see.. it seem to work ok for that guy..

Sqyre... ;)
Thanks I didn't know that about the zinc plated/galvanised bins. If I get permission from SWMBO I'll give it a go and see how it all turns out

Got a 44 gallon drum part the way thru for making a smoker .... kinda started then stopped as been getting good results with the weber to be honest.

But there are 2 great books on the cooking side:

* The Barbecue Bible - Steven Raichlen
* Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces

Both have some fantastic recipes, and in particular Kirks rubs, mops and bastes. One of the best tips also is from Kirk who uses home made mustard then applies the rub, which helps to keep it on the meat and also crusts up bueatifully. (I use dijon, shop bought). Squire if you found the meat a bit dry, I am wondering if you put a baste on it?? Found this helps heaps and adds a dimension to the rub.

Raichlen also has great salads and accompaniments, the salsa cruda is awesome with any slow cooked meat, it is now a regular on the table.

Scotty

Got a 44 gallon drum part the way thru for making a smoker .... kinda started then stopped as been getting good results with the weber to be honest.

But there are 2 great books on the cooking side:

* The Barbecue Bible - Steven Raichlen
* Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces

Both have some fantastic recipes, and in particular Kirks rubs, mops and bastes. One of the best tips also is from Kirk who uses home made mustard then applies the rub, which helps to keep it on the meat and also crusts up bueatifully. (I use dijon, shop bought). Squire if you found the meat a bit dry, I am wondering if you put a baste on it?? Found this helps heaps and adds a dimension to the rub.

Raichlen also has great salads and accompaniments, the salsa cruda is awesome with any slow cooked meat, it is now a regular on the table.

Scotty

Thanks for the Tips Scotty,
We did up some Ribs yesterday which didn't turn out too bad...
They could have been a little bit better but we worked out where we stuffed up so thats the main thing..

We are looking using a rub next time.. this time we tried a couple of different homemade sauces, Renaes Jack Daniels sauce won..

Heres a few pics ...
DSCF0681.JPGDSCF0678.JPG

And after 6 hours at 100 they were falling apart.
DSCF0687.JPGDSCF0694.JPG

Sqyre.. :icon_cheers:

Sqyre,

That looks unreal, can't wait to see it in action in November.

Cheers.

Ooops, slight correction, Kirk's has the salsa cruda recipe. Both books will teach you about rubs, which work so well.

The slow cooked meat thing is a great pursuit, just about to put some chooks on and do some gardening ... life could be tougher ...

Scotty

A bit off topic, but I'm mechanically illiterate, but I was hoping someone who isn't could take a quick look at these plans (which look easy enough for even me to manage) and let me know if there is anything wrong with them?
http://cruftbox.com/cruft/docs/elecsmoker.html

I made essentially that same thing out of a carboard box and a standalone electric hotplate - Ugly but works just fine.

Did you see Katie's smoker?? (last page) one of those tins with the bottom out of it, sitting on an old electric frying pan would do the trick. All the plastic melty bits are outside the hot bit then.

Mine has the whole hotplate inside the hot box.... I control the temperature via the same PID/rely that I use for my herms system. You couldn't use it as an "oven" but its fine at the low temperatures you want for smoking.

Mind you - after I saw Sqyre's work of art... I had to have a bex and a bit of a lie down. That things is cool as hell. Damn I wish I had a workshop!!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a good idea is to boil your ribs in salted and sugared water before smoking.

Latest posts

Back