Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a gravity reading just after lunch today & I'm sitting at 1.014, just a couple of points away from final gravity.
Cranked up the spunding valve & the fridge temp for the diacetyl rest. It took about 6-7hrs to go from 12psi up to my target 26psi but it's sitting steady. After 48hrs, I'll cap the fermenter & cold crash / Lager it for at least a couple of weeks.

IMG_0068.JPG

anyone have a link to a gauge suitable for a spunding valve that goes to 30 PSI? Mine only goes to 15 which is annoying. Need to guesstimate above that but it also hits the end stop on the gauge well below 30 I think.

There are some on amazon, what is the thread size on the keg king PRV gauge?
I found one in Bunnings in the pool chemicals section which goes up to 40 psi I think. I haven't swapped it out for the other one, but it looks like it should swap out perfectly. Was about $20, not sure if that is a good price.

I'm at 48hrs into my diacetyl rest, 26psi @18deg & about to cold crash/Lager.
Do you guys just unhook the spundy & drop your temp leaving the 26psi in the head space?
As the beer cools down, it's going to absorb that Co2 hopefully giving me my target 2.4vol/Co2.

I'm at 48hrs into my diacetyl rest, 26psi @18deg & about to cold crash/Lager.
Do you guys just unhook the spundy & drop your temp leaving the 26psi in the head space?
As the beer cools down, it's going to absorb that Co2 hopefully giving me my target 2.4vol/Co2.
Yeah mate, take valve off, drop to 0 or close to it. Leave head pressure in.
I'd leave for 48 hrs before sampling to allow the large vol to cool properly and the co2 to absorb nicely into the liquid. Will prob pour alittle cloudy first up but very drinkable.
Should be at a nice pouring pressure and carb level at 48 hrs. You can then just dispense from it as you go, with a pouring pressure added to it.

If after 3-4 days you feel it's slightly under carbed, then just leave on the gas for abit, or add a few 30 psi bursts to it over a couple of days. Shouldn't need much if any...

Will clear out nicely over at least another week, especially if added biofine etc.
I tend to inject under pressure my finnings, shake or rock the kegmenter slightly then chill.
I left my lagers for 2 weeks before transfer into cornies last summer.

As always, the beer will improve with age and lagering, but you should be able to sample a schooner 48 hrs after cc, just purge a quater glass off to clear the dip tube, then fill the glass with goodness :)

Good stuff

Last edited:
Cheers for the info & the tips.
I intend to Lager for at least 3 weeks but somehow I think I'm going to be sampling it daily after cold crash. Some years ago I made comment that on certain beers, I preferred the softer carbonation in bottles as opposed to force carbonation in kegs & that still holds true. I can't wait to sample this one.

Cheers for the info & the tips.
I intend to Lager for at least 3 weeks but somehow I think I'm going to be sampling it daily after cold crash. Some years ago I made comment that on certain beers, I preferred the softer carbonation in bottles as opposed to force carbonation in kegs & that still holds true. I can't wait to sample this one.

Sampling daily Crusty? Won’t be any left when you go to keg/bottle.:p

Sampling daily Crusty? Won’t be any left when you go to keg/bottle.:p

This may be problematic.
I might not even transfer it after Lagering depending on how happy I am with the yeast settlement & clarity.
I don't see any dramas leaving it on the yeast if it gets polished off within the month but I'll probably transfer it to a serving keg.

Can be a bit of a problem alright. My last batch was 27 litres and by the time I was ready to pitch the next batch I could barely fill a 9 litre keg.
Same as me , lol
I generally have 42-45 ltrs in my kegmenters , and after sampling etc I usually get 1 full corny and maybe 9 ltr and 5 ltr mini , ha

I close off the spunding valve but leave it on whilst cold crashing, so I can watch the pressure dial and know how much gas is being absorbed. Once the dial is showing my desired level I swap over to the c02 bottle.

I close off the spunding valve but leave it on whilst cold crashing, so I can watch the pressure dial and know how much gas is being absorbed. Once the dial is showing my desired level I swap over to the c02 bottle.

+1

Well, I couldn't help myself & had to take a sample. It's only on day two of cold crash/Lagering. It certainly needs to condition & clear but it's bloody awesome. The carbonation is almost perfect, maybe just a little under carbed but not much. It'll be hooked up at serving pressure so that should sort that out. 11 days after I brewed this beer & if the clarity doesn't bother you, it's absolutely drinkable & really good. I really don't think this will even make it to a serving keg to be honest.
IMG_0072.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

Well, I couldn't help myself & had to take a sample. It's only on day two of cold crash/Lagering. It certainly needs to condition & clear but it's bloody awesome. The carbonation is almost perfect, maybe just a little under carbed but not much. It'll be hooked up at serving pressure so that should sort that out. 11 days after I brewed this beer & if the clarity doesn't bother you, it's absolutely drinkable & really good. I really don't think this will even make it to a serving keg to be honest.
View attachment 109372 View attachment 109373

Awesome Crusty , I just got my self a lagering fridge today I have basically taken over the carport with fridges , lucky I have a very understanding wife who likes my beers especially of late , had a few issues with my first couple of transfers under pressure for some stupid reason I had it in my head that I needed to close off the spunding valve once it started to transfer. We live and learn

These spunding valves are still a fiddly bloody thing . I have one that works perfect and the other I have to fiddle constantly with it . Not game to touch the ok one as it is set to about 11 PSI .
Currently have two brews on yeast cakes I brewed Monday and they fired up within 6 hours , suprised by the lack of lag time to be honest

View attachment 109372 View attachment 109373
That looks great for 2 days...
Did you use any type of finnings?
Give it a cuppla weeks and will be great.
Even 1 week.
26 psi I find is good for me, it's a fine line between too little and too much. Pouring pressure for couple days will polish it up if you want more. I do find though that as it's clears and lagers out the beer hold the bubbles better in the glass. 1 week is way better than 2 days, 2 weeks better yet.
Yummy , what sort of lager?
I find it's a fun way of brewing, adds a new dimension to the hobby...

I did the St. Louis Lager from the recipe data base.
I've made this beer numerous times & I really like it.
It always finishes crisp & clean & at this early stage fermenting under pressure, this beer is shaping up to be an absolute cracker.
I'm loving the natural carbonation & the 26psi is very close to where I want it. I'm looking forward to having a couple after two weeks at Lagering temps. I never use any form of finings apart from a couple of whirlfloc tablets in the boil. My kegged beers are always very clear but not super bright but as the keg starts to be consumed & the conditioning days increase, the beers get very clear. The pressure adjustment can be a little tricky to get dialed in as it's not instantaneous like pressurized Co2, so I found I had to go back in 5-10mins to re-check after making any adjustments. Once set though, it's rock solid. I have no idea of the science involved in this whole process, but if you can drink a Lager, 11 days after you brewed it & it taste's this good, I wont be fermenting without the spunding valve ever again. I set 12psi for my fermentation & I think anywhere from 5-15psi is a good pressure to be at. Any pressure should suppress esters so I don't think it's critical at what pressure you ferment at. I may be wrong, higher pressures may produce less esters??? I really only wanted to ferment under pressure for the natural carbonation as I prefer it, but being able to consume your beer a week or two earlier is pretty appealing.

I did the St. Louis Lager from the recipe data base.
I've made this beer numerous times & I really like it.
It always finishes crisp & clean & at this early stage fermenting under pressure, this beer is shaping up to be an absolute cracker.
I'm loving the natural carbonation & the 26psi is very close to where I want it. I'm looking forward to having a couple after two weeks at Lagering temps. I never use any form of finings apart from a couple of whirlfloc tablets in the boil. My kegged beers are always very clear but not super bright but as the keg starts to be consumed & the conditioning days increase, the beers get very clear. The pressure adjustment can be a little tricky to get dialed in as it's not instantaneous like pressurized Co2, so I found I had to go back in 5-10mins to re-check after making any adjustments. Once set though, it's rock solid. I have no idea of the science involved in this whole process, but if you can drink a Lager, 11 days after you brewed it & it taste's this good, I wont be fermenting without the spunding valve ever again. I set 12psi for my fermentation & I think anywhere from 5-15psi is a good pressure to be at. Any pressure should suppress esters so I don't think it's critical at what pressure you ferment at. I may be wrong, higher pressures may produce less esters??? I really only wanted to ferment under pressure for the natural carbonation as I prefer it, but being able to consume your beer a week or two earlier is pretty appealing.
Totally agree...
I might try this lager out next brews. Got some lagers planned.

Cheers

Back