SPONSORS?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
There can be only one
file_130400_2_highlander04.jpg

bum said:
To be entirely fair, this is not the case. Neither before nor after.

The issue is quality not quantity.
Yeah. Poor choice of words. Fairly moderated was enough, well from my perspective anyway.

bum said:
Really? We're supposed to pretend that the rest of the internet doesn't exist? Especially the bits of it that are relevant to the one thing we have in common?
Yes please.

austin said:
Yes please.
Be careful here Austin.........or study Australians more closely......just my 2c............

Amazing we haven't banned ebay and website deals thread sites..or you talking about other brew sites..as pauline hanson would say
"please explain" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUlu-HlDzgA

Man, Austin, you really should have just let this one lie.

I've been a member, moderator & admin for a couple of forums & it has ALWAYS been the case that you don't discuss other forums that are related to the same topic

It was never harshly enforced, but most people just saw it as 'good manners'

austin said:
Will mentioning another forum get you banned? Well if I did that I would never hear the end of it, so no, but please don't. I'm not going into your homes and telling people how much you suck and where else they could go.

That being said I've said many times the code is under review, and we're having to move and change things to determine the issues.

We have a good lead on the recipes, but wiki is still broke and I'm having to find a developer for that alone as the one I contacted is to busy right now to help.

bum said:
Really? We're supposed to pretend that the rest of the internet doesn't exist? Especially the bits of it that are relevant to the one thing we have in common?

Yob said:
Discussion of other forums is not permitted? Didn't see that in the update / clarification of rulez..

We still have freedom of speech do we not? This may be a 'house' with a new landlord, but we are still the tenants yeah?

Is it ok to mention HBT but not other Australian ones? ... I'm confused.

Rowy said:
Australians are funny about this sort of stuff............very funny about it in fact........I'm a supporter but no one will restrict me talking about what I want to. If it's lawful I will talk about it..........First time i've felt uncomfortable here and I count the million times I've been told to get rooted in that!
Guys all Austin has asked, is that you don't shitcan the place (AHB) and suggest moving to another forum. Is that not a fair ask?. Other forums have been always mentioned and I have never seen anyone banned for metioning another forum in general conversation.
Many members are on multiple forums, as I am. If anyone chooses not to use AHB thats fine. Yes there are a couple of AHB members who now choose to use HBDU as their home forum and do not wish to participate on here, well thats there decision and why would admin or mods have a problem with that?

I personally get quite annoyed when seeing AHB being shitcanned by it's own members who have gained loads of info and contacts through this site. Once again people are free to make their own decisions and have their own opinions.
This forum is only as good as we make it as members. Yes there are a few techincal issues but they are being dealt with where possible and to be honest I have not seen so much admin work being conducted on this forum as it has since Austin took over. At least things are happening now, yes there has been a bit of greif but surely we are moving in the right direction.

Honestly I'm pretty stunned by people's reaction to this whole change of ownership thing, I mean like any Australian I appreciate a good jab at the USA and its gun-totin' rednecks, but it seems like a bunch of AHB members are dead set seriously anti-American and genuinely object to them being involved in the forum at all.

I see AHB referenced on international brew forums all the time, chances are there are more non-Australians in our midst than people seem to think. :ph34r:

I think its just people exercising their freedom of speech, nothing un Australian about that.
Imagine if you were not happy about the government and could not voice an opinion ?
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
I think its just people exercising their freedom of speech, nothing un Australian about that.
Imagine if you were not happy about the government and could not voice an opinion ?
Nev
Yes people are all over the freedom of speech line whilst it works in their favor.

Note. Scenario, not my actual opinion, just a contextualized example.

Imagine if I posted on this forum naming and saying that a retailer has been anaustralian because they are selling cheap chinese imported brewing gear and that I name and go to another retailer because they have gear that wasn't made in china.

I would defend that as me expressing my opinion through freedom of speech. Others may see that as defamation. And we keep chasing our tails.

Defamation is a case for law, not opinion.
Freedom of speech is a right, be it in their favor or not.
There are pretty tight laws also governing this, as a Mod you should probably take a look at them so you better understand.
Nev

Gryphon Brewing said:
Defamation is a case for law, not opinion.
Freedom of speech is a right, be it in their favor or not.
There are pretty tight laws also governing this, as a Mod you should probably take a look at them so you better understand.
Nev
Australia does not have freedom of speech and never has had!

TasChris said:
Australia does not have freedom of speech and never has had!
The government doesn t agree.
As quoted by the Australian government :
All Australians are entitled to freedom of speech, association, assembly, religion, and movement.

Freedom of speech
Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.

Gryphon Brewing said:
All Australians are entitled to freedom of speech, association, assembly, religion, and movement.
Freedom of speech
Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what we think privately or publicly, about the government, or about any topic. We do not censor the media and may criticise the government without fear of arrest. Free speech comes from facts, not rumours, and the intention must be constructive, not to do harm. There are laws to protect a person's good name and integrity against false information. There are laws against saying or writing things to incite hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background. Freedom of speech is not an excuse to harm others.
Sorry I notice it said Australians not Tasmanian s :lol:

Australia has no law whatsoever protecting free speech, unless you're a politician.

Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights, with the exception of political speech which is protected from criminal prosecution at common law per Australian Capital Television Pty Ltd v Commonwealth.
People assume we have a right to freedom of speech since we're (technically) a democracy, but it is not the case.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Freedom of speech
Hmmm above says that we are entitled to free speech not that it is enshrined in law or that we actually have it.

Last sentence to paraphrase
We are free to say, write, think what ever we want, except, except, except...

We do not have freedom of speech we have partial freedom of speech.
Cheers
Chris

*sigh*

Freedom of speech or not, its basic politeness. If I invite you round to my place, you are perfectly free to go on at length about how much my beer sucks, how ugly my kids are, how much better the place would look without my ugly furniture in it and how much you prefer going to other people's houses.

I am also perfectly free to ask you to leave and to never invite you around again because you are a rude prick.

Same applies here. Yes there are issues here. Always will be. Yes we are free to point them out. Preferably in a way that is helpful and leads to getting them fixed (like gently pointing out that my beer tastes like balls and suggesting that sanitation might be helpful). But to bang on at length about how much this place sucks and how much better things are elsewhere then you aren't being helpful. You are being a rude prick.

Lets talk about beer instead. beer is good. Or cider. or mead. Whatever. I'm easy. More talk about beer and less about crap and you know, the place might not suck so much.

I brewed my octoberfect on the weekend. When that's done I'm brewing a German lager. Then maybe a Kolch. Cider is conditioning now. Batches of mead are in various stages of doneness. Life is good.

Cheers
Dave

That's why can vote for who we want not have a gun pointed at you and told how to vote...rigged elections..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323514404578647732249178720.html
and on a forum i mod on we have friend's of section,we don't discriminate.

Latest posts

Back