Splitting Proculture Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I'm planning on doing a split batch for my next brew, and I bought the little bottle of Proculture liquid yeast to go with it. I obviously need to split the yeast between the 2 brews, and I'm just wondering whats the best way to do this?? I'm thinking I can either pour it in and guess, or maybe make a bit of a starter and split that?

Option b, make the starter. I'd recommend a starter even for a single batch...

Definitely the starter. The Proculture yeast I have tried so far was just about crawling out of the starter bottle after a couple of hours, far more lively than a Wyeast. I reckon you could brew up a starter more than big enough for two brews very quickly... probably just overnight.

Awesome. Thanks :D

I'd still only need to make up about a litre though right?

quicker fermentation?

Aren't the Proculture yeasts about the same cell count as the Wyeast smack packs? (maybe I'm wrong on this). And they recommend a starter for those. Unless I was making a Mild or something, in which case I'd probably just throw it in without a starter.

quicker fermentation?
Yes less lag time. For example if you have a brew cooling in a cube you can get a starter going the previous day and when you pitch, the yeast hits the ground running.

Yes less lag time. For example if you have a brew cooling in a cube you can get a starter going the previous day and when you pitch, the yeast hits the ground running.

:( I'd like to have cubes but I got a fridge-mate this fortnight instead. I guess all good things come to those who wait.

www.mrmalty.com work it out for yourself

Even if you do a starter putting some of the wort you have made up into your starter bottle when its ready to pitch, stirring it up a bit then splitting that would give you a more even split.

Back