Splitting Batches Pt 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Had a discussion a few weeks back about splitting batches. Basically I want to do a wheat beer and flavour half with mango/passionfruit and leave the other half plain.

Original idea was to buy a small 2nd fermentor and drain off half after a few days in primary. I did however have another idea......

Could I carry out the primary 23L ferment in my normal fermentor, bottle off half (ie the plain wheat), chuck the fruit into the remainder, leave to ferment out again, then bottle the fruity version?

Anyone see any glaring problems with this idea?

Stew

Can't see any probs there Stew.
Be nice to taste the plain and fruit side by side..

Had a discussion a few weeks back about splitting batches. Basically I want to do a wheat beer and flavour half with mango/passionfruit and leave the other half plain.

Original idea was to buy a small 2nd fermentor and drain off half after a few days in primary. I did however have another idea......

Could I carry out the primary 23L ferment in my normal fermentor, bottle off half (ie the plain wheat), chuck the fruit into the remainder, leave to ferment out again, then bottle the fruity version?

Anyone see any glaring problems with this idea?
No problems other than the length of time the beer may be sitting on the yeast-cake, and that depends on the time you plan to keep it in primary and secondary (counting secondary as the time after you add the fruit).

I also plan to split the next wheat beer I make, but I have a few 10L glass demijohns, so I'll transfer from primary into those as a secondary.

Back