Spiral To 3600w Electric Conversion - Boil Stats & Pics.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I could be following your lead... looks like a perfect element for my new HLT.

Don't know how long it will last, but the boil times seem quite acceptable for the price.

If you go for the same as I did, and it doesn't work ill buy it off you, ill be needing another one soon.

No worries Yeastie. Have just bought and paid for one. Guess I'll see it sometime next week. Have you wired it into a normal plug or 15A plug?

Today I floated a corrugated plastic lid (with a polystyrene floater as the corrugations took in a bit of water) on the surface as CM2 suggested and here are the results for those interested.

11:00am - 20 degree tap water added
11:10am - 40 degrees
11:20am - 62 degrees
11:30am - 85 degrees
11:40am - 100 degrees

Certainly proves that removing the head space in a boil speeds things up considerably.

Previous boil with the lid on took over an hour, and this - 40 minutes.

EDIT: And only 3 litres evaporation.

I will insulate the pot now for even better results I guess.

Cheers CM2 for the idea - certainly a winner!!!

SDC11401.JPG

I think I could be following your lead... looks like a perfect element for my new HLT.

Don't know how long it will last, but the boil times seem quite acceptable for the price.

Very acceptable - especially with the new test with a floating lid. Insulation will only increase these times I assume.

No worries Yeastie. Have just bought and paid for one. Guess I'll see it sometime next week. Have you wired it into a normal plug or 15A plug?

Wired to a 15 amp lead, straight to a plug for now.

As I stated earlier, the rolling boil is vigourous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick note.

This cover was bolted on using 3/16" bolts and the entire outside between the pot and cover were ONLY sealed using Fuller Plumbing Silicon.

After my 90 minute rolling boil it seemed to stand the test, which was my only concern.

SDC11407.JPG

Back