Spent Specialty Grain Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildschwein

Reaction score
I had some spent specialty grains left over from a steep. Usually, I give these to my chooks but I thought I might try and eat them myself so I could get a bit of roughage. The recipe went something like this.

50g (dry weight before steep) of broken spent Chocolate malt
200g (dry weight before steep) of broken spent Crystal malt
2 teaspoons of salt
4 teaspoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of dried baker's yeast
3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
4-5 cups of plain flour
luke warm water

Method.

In a large bowl throw in all ingredients except the water, starting off with only 4 cups of flour. The spent grains still contain a lot of moisture and will get the mixing process started. Use a spoon to start mixing adding a little water at a time until the whole mix comes together into a sticky but consistent mass. Start kneading and adding flour as necassary. If your bowl is big enough you can do it in there or you can need on a clean bench. You're after a pliable dough that doesn't stick too much to your hands. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes, adding flour as needed. The kneading develops the protein (gluten) in the wheat flour which creates a structure in the loaf that catches and locks in the C02 expelled by the yeast. More needing=better loaf and better rise. After kneading, form the dough into a ball and cover with a light dusting of flour all over. Put in a large bowl and cover with cling film or a damp tea towel. Leave in a warmish place to prove (grow in size) for about 1-2 hours. After this, punch the loaf down, briefly knead again and then shape into a large ball. Put onto a greased baking tray. dust again with flour and cut some light slashes across the top. Heat your oven to 190c and leave the loaf to prove for a second time. I usually find putting it on top of my stove while the oven is heating provides enough ambient warmth to assist the second rise. When the loaf has doubled in size place it in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on how crusty you like it. To test if your loaf is cooked turn it over and tap on the bottom with a spoon. If you hear a hollow sound it's ready.

Of course, you could always use a bread maker if you have one, but this batch may be a little big for most brands of machine. Either way this is a good method to use up spent grains.

Yeah came out well. Moist texture, brown colour, and slightly roasted nutty flavour. The husks from the grains were well broken up too, so you couldn't notice 'em that much. Made good toast and went well with bacon and eggs. I reckon I'll be doing it again.

I've made bread like this in my bread machine and it works really well. I've found if you substitute 1/4 of the regular flour for spent grains it comes out pretty good, and seems to stay moister for longer than the usual effort.

Photo-0030.jpg

Did this loaf in the bread maker 2day.

Bought a Laucke wholemeal bread pack from the povo rack for a buck.

Put IT into the bowl with 1 egg(for protien and fat) the supplied yeast plus a sachet of coopers dried brewers yeast that was laying around.Water, a good slurp of stout and a 250 ml cup full of still warm spent grain from the mash tun.JW trad ale,Light Munich, caramunich and wheat.

Smells the goods ;)

Latest posts

Back