Speciality Grains Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just wondering if this is the right instructions for this specialty grain

1398741147527.jpg

So put the grain In the boiling and let stand for 10to 20mins.

Do I then throw that water out and when filling the fermenter add a strainer with the grain and top up the fermenter

Put it in water of about 70 degC.
let stand 30-60 mins
Strain, rinse the grain through a sieve into the same pot with warm/hot water.

Discard the grain, keep the liquid.
Boil the liquid for at least 10 minutes with enough extract to make the whole liquor about 1.040* or whatever is appropriate for your recipe. Add hops to this liquid as appropriate.

No.

There is a similar process but what happens inside the grain is different. You are just soaking the grains. Too hot and you may get some unpleasant flavours. Cold works well but you need longer. 70 degrees is a good temperature and good practice for if/when you mash. However for steeping, temperature is not crucial.

You are most definitely NOT throwing the liquid away. That is why you are doing what you are doing - to get flavoured liquid.

Do the grains need to be cracked? Like with a rolling pin over the bag?

Martrix said:
Do the grains need to be cracked? Like with a rolling pin over the bag?
Yes.
Better to ask your HB shop to mill it for you if they have a mill, or find another friendly local brewer with a mill who is willing to oblige you.

K thanks guys all done I hope it adds some nice taste to my brew. Did 2 brews today. A little creatures and the other one was
Carlton draught with that speciality grain. Cascade at 15 and 5. 20gs each.

Bit of a random mix I think but the homebrew shop recommended that specialty grain to me

Carafa 2 has a very roasty dark flavour, I used 150 g in a brew and it definitely had a real dark ale taste like a stout although mine was much thinner, a lot more so than dark crystal - I'm going to scale it back to 50-100g next time.

As for steeping, check out my citra and Amarillo pale ale in kits and bits forum- I have pics there and there are also other guides in that forum as it isn't really 'partial' mashing without the base malt

Back