"special B" Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Necro....

...I am LOVING this grain...is anyone using it in bizarre and/or unexpected ways (yet still to do with brewing beer - I don't care if you roll around in it wearing a stocking on your head and weeping for your lost potential) ? I've used it now in an amber, an esb, an 'irish' red. I had some on hand and was inspired to start chucking it around a bit more after one of Argon's comments about an amber ale he'd used it in.

I've found it's one of those grains that munching on it makes you pucker, but sitting there in the background it can do marvellous things. I'm keen to use it with wy1318 in a %7ish English Old type thing (I used it with 1318 in the red thing).

Cheers. :icon_cheers:
I used 9% spec B in an Arrogant ******* clone (AIPA) great colour, went well with loads of Chinook.

I used 9% spec B in an Arrogant ******* clone (AIPA) great colour, went well with loads of Chinook.

...and the %91 was just base malt?

That might be the next thing I do....I've almost finished my last lot of big AIPA's....

Cool, thanks Razz (and others). I'll ignore that hopping schedule but go for a similar grist at the end of next week I reckon (going to have a cake of wy1272 to harvest from)...

Hey Nick, can you specify the difference?

Cheers

Best way to do that would be to get you to smell and taste the two - there, the difference is easier to describe.

For me, Special B is the grain version of sticky date pudding. Caraaroma is darker but milder, and I find is amazing when combined with American/NZ hops in APAs as it lends a dried apricot/nectarine thing to the beer. It's quite "Milo". Caraaroma is very red too.

Caraaroma is sharper; Special B softer. Toffee vs fudge.

As always, this is a "taste" thing so YMMV. I like to use 10% Caraaroma in AAAs.

Crumbs - I love Citra, but putting it in a saison with Special B and at 15 minutes only - that's either inspired or bizarre. Either way, love the creativity.

Let us know how it works out.

Goomba

I love Special B... a firm staple around here in American beers. I too did the 90% ale and 10% Spec B inspired by the Arrogant *******, bittered with Chinook and finished with Amarillo and Cascade. I put it in QABC and got 3rd with 40points in special category under American Amber Ale.

I really love the sweet raisin flavours and aromas. Next brew will be same grist but all Amarillo to about 55ibu i think 1272 may also be a good idea to lend some more fruitiness.

Best way to do that would be to get you to smell and taste the two - there, the difference is easier to describe.

For me, Special B is the grain version of sticky date pudding. Caraaroma is darker but milder, and I find is amazing when combined with American/NZ hops in APAs as it lends a dried apricot/nectarine thing to the beer. It's quite "Milo". Caraaroma is very red too.

Caraaroma is sharper; Special B softer. Toffee vs fudge.

As always, this is a "taste" thing so YMMV. I like to use 10% Caraaroma in AAAs.
Wow thats a lot of flavour going on. The reason why I asked was that my HB shop doesn't stock Spec B and you stated they were different.

Its awesome how many variables are in this brewing game. I have just made a Rye APA, having never tasted rye in beer before I would have never have thought it would have tasted the way it does. Cheers

Back