"special B" Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
What do we call this in Australia?
Im planning a Belgian Double using an American recipe and this grain Ive not heard of.

Closest available here, I believe, is Weyermann Caraaroma. Not sure how close it is to the real deal though.

I think that Ross may be trying to source a number of hard to get malts. You should drop him a line to see if Special B is one of them and how far he might be from getting it.

I think that Ross may be trying to source a number of hard to get malts. You should drop him a line to see if Special B is one of them and how far he might be from getting it.
Squeeze my ingorance, but who is Ross??

Hah! Take that, Ross' ego! :lol:

I'm 99% sure he's referring to Ross at Craftbrewer (site sponsor)

didn't esb have some special b from brewferm in at one point? has anybody here used it and how was it? i think the dingemans special b is the stuff you want - perhaps weyermann caraaroma may even be closer than the brewferm stuff that is called "special b"

i've been using caraaroma in dubbels and quads for years and it is good stuff.

The Brewferm "Special B" that we did have available was indeed made by Dingemans. Weyermann developed the Caraaroma some years back as an alternative to the Belgian variety after Inbev bought out deWolf Cosyns maltings and then closed it down. History now.

Wes

didn't esb have some special b from brewferm in at one point? has anybody here used it and how was it? i think the dingemans special b is the stuff you want - perhaps weyermann caraaroma may even be closer than the brewferm stuff that is called "special b"

I had (still might have a bit) some Special B malt from ESB. I had used caraaroma before & didn't note any real similarity. But when i chewed some melanoiden for the 1st time, I instantly thought it tasted like the special B.

I posted recently on this, and Ross repleid that he expected some Specila B by end of year.
Yes Wyerm Cara-aroma formulated as replacement. But how many ale malts taste exactly the same. Still it would be different not better.
The other malt often used for dark Belgians is Aromatic - and this one's replacement is Wyerm Melanoiden. Same as all that above.

oh dear,been using a mixture of both.Hell dingermans is good

and I'm a powells fan boi B)

I'm pretty sure ross sell it too, I have a bag of it and I'm sure that's where I got it from. If not it could only have been G&G.

Another Necro....

...I am LOVING this grain...is anyone using it in bizarre and/or unexpected ways (yet still to do with brewing beer - I don't care if you roll around in it wearing a stocking on your head and weeping for your lost potential) ? I've used it now in an amber, an esb, an 'irish' red. I had some on hand and was inspired to start chucking it around a bit more after one of Argon's comments about an amber ale he'd used it in.

I've found it's one of those grains that munching on it makes you pucker, but sitting there in the background it can do marvellous things. I'm keen to use it with wy1318 in a %7ish English Old type thing (I used it with 1318 in the red thing).

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

...I am LOVING this grain...is anyone using it in bizarre and/or unexpected ways

This one's bubbling furiously at 32C right now.

17L
3.5kg Wey Ale
100g Special B
100g Caraaroma
250g Dextrose
30g Citra 15min
3724 Belgian Saison

People compare it to Caraaroma ... it's nothing like it.

That's weird, I was looking at this thread this morning.

I took the advice from Adamt at the start of this thread because my lhbs don't stock Special B, I subbed it for Weyermann Caraaroma in my soon to be brewed American Brown Ale. If Special B is anything like Caraaroma, its killer, I used it before in a dark lager and it was beautiful.

I must say, I've used both and while I can see why people would suggest it, there is no real comparison - special B is just huge and has a certain 'depth' (for want of a better word).

Citra is an interesting choice Nick...the amber I did with it was FWH and 20 min bittered with Apollo...

I'm only just working my way up to using some new yeasts with new styles next year and saison is on my list for sure. I'd love to use this grain in a dubbel and/or tripel (one 'p' or two?) style as well.

It plays well with maris otter, as of early Jan I'll see how well it plays with GP also.

Back