Spaghetti Bolagnese

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
This is my fav Spag Bol recipie.....

Ingredients

5oogm mince
1 large onion
Olive oil
Garlic clove
Chilli ( optional )
3-4 tins of diced tomatoes
Red Wine
Basil
Salt ( important )

Method

Brown onions and garlic in deep, large fry or pot
Add mince when onions are browned and brown the mince
Add tinned diced tomatoes. I allways add more tomatoes than you think you need, so that it is watery
Simmer
Add red wine and basil & salt
Simmer with lid on

Simmer some more with lid on untill it reduces to a nice sauce

This usually takes a few hrs to make, as you need to simmer it to get the flavours. The longer the better

Sometimes I add bacon or chorizo sausages to it as well for some added flavour

Goes great on fresh made pasta....

whhaaaaat?? only 1 garlic clove! :D

i dont really have a recipie but i add more onion, garlic, oregano of course, deglaze with balsamic before the tomatoes, add worstershire sauce, and some beef stock after.

Of course you can add more garlic :)

And it depends on the size of the onions.... I only buy huge ones..

Beef stock and worster sauce are not needed... let the tom's give you the flavour :)

I tend to use pancetta instead of bacon but that's basically the same as my recipe. But for me the chilli isn't optional.

Try adding a couple of bay leaves and also try adding some anchovies when browning the onion. They dissolve into the sauce and taste fantastic. You can also use tomato puree instead of some of the diced tomatoes. Cooks down quicker and adds some extra depth to the sauce.

Of course if you are doing it really traditional, you use half beef mince and half pork. The really traditional recipes only have four ingredients - beef, pork, tomato, salt.

Cheers
Dave

P.S... and yes.. woost sauce in a spag bol is just wrong.

This is my fav Spag Bol recipie.....

Ingredients
Virtually the same as mine.
.... except I add much more garlic, either fresh herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram, rosemary, or whatever I find outside) or in winter a large helping of mixed-dried-herbs (or 'Spaghetti Herbs' which includes dry chilli), and about 1/2 a small tin of tomato paste. SWMBO does not like wine in food, so I'm usually forced to omit that. :(

I grew up in an Italian community ( Leeton / Griffith ) in the Riverina...

Their food was awsome

And they stuck to a simple 4 ingredient recipe... oil, salt and garlic where not inculded....

Oh.. and the salami's where to die for :icon_drool2:

>try adding some anchovies...
>woost sauce in a spag bol is just wrong...

lol, main ingredient in woost in anchovies. bit of molasses /sugar for sweetness to balance the acid and salt, and its only a splash for flavour depth.

Fresh herbs, garlic, good mince, fresh and tinned tomatoes, lots of red wine, chilli and bacon for me. Salt and lots of black pepper too (including a few whole peppercorns at the beginning). Small diced carrot and mushrooms optional but a good addition. Brown the carrots with the mince.

As ducatiboy says - the flavours come out from long slow cooking which is at least as important as the ingredients.

My partner can't eat onion but I don't miss it. Needs a good few hours to simmer, making sure moisture is retained. Only gets better over the next few days.

Cook and season pasta, heat sauce and add some fresh chopped parlsey. Almost becomes addictive and once the sauce is cooked (I make enough to last 5 days) , provides a few easy meals during really busy weeks. Fresh salad and some more red wine makes me feel like I'm in the lap of luxury and costs me less than $20 for the food.

Fresh herbs, garlic, good mince, fresh and tinned tomatoes, lots of red wine, chilli and bacon for me. Salt and lots of black pepper too (including a few whole peppercorns at the beginning). Small diced carrot and mushrooms optional but a good addition. Brown the carrots with the mince.

As ducatiboy says - the flavours come out from long slow cooking which is at least as important as the ingredients.

My partner can't eat onion but I don't miss it. Needs a good few hours to simmer, making sure moisture is retained. Only gets better over the next few days.

Cook and season pasta, heat sauce and add some fresh chopped parlsey. Almost becomes addictive and once the sauce is cooked (I make enough to last 5 days) , provides a few easy meals during really busy weeks. Fresh salad and some more red wine makes me feel like I'm in the lap of luxury and costs me less than $20 for the food.

I am allways suprised at how ar 500gm of mince will go. Usually get a few ays worth . And simmering is the key. I usually simmer or 3-4 hr.

these recipes are making me hungry, the last time i made spag bol we had lots of garlic onions tomatoes and wine and i used a blade roast cut into steaks let them brais for 3-4 hours real slow an low. after that time in the pot the steaks they fell apart add some fresh basil.

J

I am going to try one with pork mince soon... supposed to be yummo

I am allways suprised at how ar 500gm of mince will go. Usually get a few ays worth . And simmering is the key. I usually simmer or 3-4 hr.

Worth adding - when cooking anything for a long period of time, flavours concentrate. This includes salt so initial salt additions should be on the reserved/lighter side. You can add later but you cannot take away (although some salt should definitely be added at the beginning). Be judicious at the beginning, taste when nearly done and add extra to taste.

Hi All,

The following is a recipe i've always used when spag bol is the order of the day.

500gm Beef Mince
500gm Pork Mince
2-3 Large Onions
3-4 Finely Diced Garlic Gloves ( I hardley ever crush garlic)
Handful of Mushrooms from woolies
TableSpoon of Vegemite
Jar of Paasata sauce
Tin Italian diced Tomatoes
2 Carrots.
2 chorizo's
3-4 Red Chillis (2-3 if using store bought birdseyes)
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan cheese
Water

1. Dice the onions, garlic and chillis and heat slowly in a pan with good olive oil. Let the onions soften up completely, usually takes around 10 mins on medium - high setting.
  2. Remove the onion, chilli, garlic and place in a bowl.
  3. Add the beef and pork mince and brown in the pan.
  4. Dice the Chorizos into small bits and fry quickly in the pan, roughly for 2-3 mins
  5. Add the tablespoon of vegemite.
  6. Return the onion, garlic and chillis and stir through the now browned meat.
  7. Add pepper to the pan along with some basil.
  8. Add sliced up mushrooms.
  9. Lower heat to medium.
  10. Add tin of diced tomatoes.
  11. Add 1 Grated Carrot.
  12. Add the Paasata sauce and the next carrot.
  13. Let it simmer for an hour and a bit then before serving add grated parmesan to the mix and stir well.
  14. You may need to add water if you dont like your sauce thick.
  15. Serve on your fav pasta style
Cheers,

Back