Sous Vide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roast lamb is always a hit,just checking that the thermostat is set at 82degC

I just change the temp for other meats;
Pork-77
Rare Beef-60, medium 71 and well done 77
Poultry-87

Just a question as I don't know much about meat temperatures, I usually cook from how many kg's and past experience of how long that size takes.

Why is lamb hotter than pork and well done beef? Also why not different temps for med and well done like for beef? I would have though lamb would be cooked less than pork surely and could be cooked to different doneness.
I noticed this on a meat thermometer I was given too, only one temp for lamb and higher than pork less than poultry.

I cooked a lamb last night and I thought I'd see what the thermometer said when I had cooked it by my usual method which produces the degree of doneness I like in my lamb (med or rose).

The thermometer indicted med rare-med beef and the lamb was perfect for my taste.

Cheers
Jason.

They aren't really that different, it just reflects the level of cooking that the guy who designed your thermometer thought was best. Also - food safety.

Pork is commonly cooked more thoroughly than lamb or beef because of the Trichinella worm - its not killed at lower temperature and cooking pork to a higher temperature made it safe. Trichinella is a very very remote risk in Australian pork (it has been effectively eradicated) and I tend to cook mine less than is "traditional"

Chicken needs to be cooked to a higher temperature to make it safe.

Here are some guides for you - these are for traditional cooking not sous vide. A Thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat (not near a bone) should read

Beef - Rare (35) Med-Rare (45) Medium (55) Medium Well (65) Well Done (75)

Veal - as per beef

Lamb - as per beef

Pork - Medium (70) which will rise to about 75 as it rests. Well Done (80-85)

Chicken - thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh should read 72

Duck - Rare (35) Med-Rare (45) Medium (55) Medium Well (65) Well Done (75)

All numbers from Adrian Richardson's book - MEAT

TB

the old man is a chef and has been playing around with Sous Vide (not that he's shared any of it yet). He's still getting his methodology down pat before he shares.

im very interested to see how it turns out.

I suppose thirsty your next step is to experiment with adding flavours into the vacpac. since thats also one of the ideas behind it (ie a differant technique to get flavours deep into the meat).

maybe try it next time your brewing. throw it in the hlt or herms whilst you brew so you have a snack/meal ready when your done!

hop chicken cooked Sous Vide in a hlt. with a grain of paradise sauce, fresh garden veg and a hefe to go with it.

now thats a microbrewery dish if i ever heard one.

the old man is a chef and has been playing around with Sous Vide (not that he's shared any of it yet). He's still getting his methodology down pat before he shares.

im very interested to see how it turns out.

I suppose thirsty your next step is to experiment with adding flavours into the vacpac. since thats also one of the ideas behind it (ie a differant technique to get flavours deep into the meat).

maybe try it next time your brewing. throw it in the hlt or herms whilst you brew so you have a snack/meal ready when your done!

Hah - pork chop into the HLT and by the end of brewing it'd be ready to hold over the burner for a few seconds to brown up

I actually tried a little flavour adding in the bits of meat I first attempted this with. Just salt & pepper though. I figure if you are cookng a bit of meat for 24hrs.. then by salting it, you are effectively both cooking and brining the meat at the same time.

As I mentioned, I am interested in the possibilities of this method for replacing/complementing the cooking part of slow smoking and for use with making small goods... so you could vac pack a portion of pork - say a shoulder - with enough salt to cure it into ham - then instead of removing it from the bag and smoking it, you could sous - vide it in its curing bag, to the correct temp and then remove and smoke at a lower temp. Take a bit of the hit and miss out of it.

or something like that anyway. Certainly the bit of steak I cooked for 24 hours that was salted in the bag, had integrated its seasoning wonderfully. Apparently you need to be careful of certain aromatics etc - the temps arent' high enough to cook them and you get "raw" flavour out of onions and garlic. Better to use powdered versions for in bag seasoning

Just put in 2 x 400g rib fillets into the recircing HLT at a steady 55C. Keeping em in there for the next 2-2.5 hrs and a quick hit on the smoking hot BBQ. First time sous vide... Fingers crossed.

Well... probably the best cooked steak i've ever had. Perfectly even throughout. An almost perfect medium when done at 55C. Could have done with a bit more melanoiden crust though. I chucked it on the bbq hot plates for about 30 seconds each side, perhaps should of flame grilled or done it via blow torch. Will certainly be doing this again as i like the set and forget nature of it. IE throw it in the HLT on recirc at desired temp and it will never overcook...beautiful.

Gonna do some 24 hr pork ribs on friday/saturday methinks. :icon_drool2:

Erm... yep that... Can't blame that on auto-correct

Anyway, prepping some dry rub pork ribs tonight for a 24 hr sous vide.

Back