Sourcing Brew Kettles In Adelaide

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choppadoo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been sniping off the wealth of information available here to assist in the forthcoming move to...(drumroll)...all-grain. Very exciting times but my one sticking point is budget, or lack thereof. I'd like to find a cheap source of brewpots in adelaide. If any of the adelaide based brewers have any leads on cheap retail or 2nd hand sources (or any cast-offs you'd like to sell to a budding young AGer!) i'd be very keen to hear about it. For the most part i'll be brewing 22 litre batches and maybe a few smaller experimental ones to get me started, so a s/s or alumininium pot (or electric urn) around 30-40 litres is what i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Chops.

if you're willing to spend a few $$s, try Gaganis Brothers for BIG ally pots.
you're always better off getting a bigger burner and a bigger pot than what you originally plan.

You should be able to pick up a 60l aluminum pot from one of the catering supply places like Macmont(I think) or Regency for under $100. A smaller one will be a little cheaper. Stainless will be significantly more expensive. I generally do 23l batches and the 60l pot is good for and will give you room to do larger batches if the mood takes you.

I use a electric urn for hlt. A 30l stainless urn is going to set you back around$230 brand new. I got away with using a mash tun and one vessel as a hlt and mash tun for ages so no need to buy both.

Thanks guys, i've had a look at Gaganis brothers- they've got a good range of cheap accessories (airlocks, paddles, etc). i ended up getting a 40litre ss electric urn off a grays online auction. probably paid a bit more than i'd planned - $200, but not too bad. i'll see how it goes as a brew kettle for starters, i've read there might be problems getting it to a rolling boil quick enough. it can always become a hlt in the event of expansion.
cheers

Thanks guys, i've had a look at Gaganis brothers- they've got a good range of cheap accessories (airlocks, paddles, etc). i ended up getting a 40litre ss electric urn off a grays online auction. probably paid a bit more than i'd planned - $200, but not too bad. i'll see how it goes as a brew kettle for starters, i've read there might be problems getting it to a rolling boil quick enough. it can always become a hlt in the event of expansion.
cheers

... or you could add an element. http://www.tobins.com.au/ sell 'over-the-side' electric immersion heaters for about $75, or you could brew your own like this guy has:

http://www.cedarcreeknetworks.com/heatstick.htm

If I were to build such a thing, I'd probably do a couple of things differently, but that is just me being an individual...

Hi Chops,

Like Dr Smurto, I can vouch for Don Mac's kettles they are GREAT. He's a top fella to boot.

Before I got my kettle I rang Woodroffe's catering division (straight out of the yellow pages) and from memory they had big ally pots 60l? for well under $100 -certainly worth a call.

However you'll never look back from one of Don's kettles.

Cheers,

Stout

woodroffe equipment are good but the prices have gone up to around 100 bucks a 6o litre job lat year they were 80 bucks

g'day guys

im also looking for a pot, only doing partials at the moment looking for 20-25 litre perhaps. Where would the best place be to go? Dont want to spend a heap of money, but would like something a little better than k-mart. I couldnt find any there anyway! Any advice would be appreciated.

-animalman

golo have 18.9 litres or cheap as cheaps i got a 20 litre for 20 bucks years ago it was thin s/s

I have been looking at getting some big pots in however shipping them ends up being costly as they are too big for Australia Post

Latest posts

Back