Sourcing Brew Gear On Hard Rubbish Day Is Theft?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i wondered how long it would take for that one to come out...

How do you know this? :p

I flogged it but alas, it didn't get up. I got a bucket of water but even that trick was proverbially shot.

So I called the council. Now it's hide glue.

Nah - someone dumped it just on the edge of a property I used to rent (semi-rural) and I was fully stoked it was 5 feet on the council's side of the line.

Nah - someone dumped it just on the edge of a property I used to rent (semi-rural) and I was fully stoked it was 5 feet on the council's side of the line.

Was that before or after you shoved it with the bull bar ;)

Around here (Stanmore, Sydney - Marrickville Council) you just book it online and leave it out the night before.

I dumped a huge pile of shit in the backlane last time, the neighbours saw fit to dump all their shit next to mine. As I left for work at 3am I found 3 people digging through the pile against the back fence, as I locked the back gate I looked at them and just asked them to make sure they tidied up before they left. They all seemed pleasant enough about it and I never heard a complaint.

As for hunting stuff myself, the first place I lived in at Sydney was almost entirely (as in everything except our beds) furnished with stuff we found on the side of the road. We used to go out nightly with two shopping trolleys, each containing a 6pk of beer, by the time we got home the beer was gone and we had more furniture....

I picked up 4x 18 litre kegs during hard rubbish and the metal for a brewstand and a 40 litre urn (still working), my first ferment fridge, 3 working TV's, a wardrobe, a queensized bed still in the plastic the list goes on.

One mans rubbish.....
GF

Looks like it's not illegal

Vacuum-cleaner man won't be charged Mex Cooper
March 22, 2011 - 4:34PM
Comments 202

Ads by Google
Free Practice Accountwww.GFT.com.au

Want to learn more about cfds? We can help. Learn More

Victoria Police has backed down from its hard line against hard rubbish hunters after a man was arrested for taking a vacuum cleaner from a collection in Melbournes outer east.

The 58-year-old Lilydale man was taken into custody just after midnight for allegedly stealing the appliance from a hard rubbish pile on a nature strip in Kimberley Drive, Chirnside Park.

Do you know more about this incident? Have you been targeted by the hard-rubbish police? Email [email protected]

Advertisement: Story continues below A Victoria Police spokesman this morning said hard rubbish became the councils property once it was placed on the nature strip and the man could be charged on summons with theft.

The council responsible for the collection, the Yarra Ranges City Council, had been unaware of the arrest until media reports.

In a statement, Yarra Ranges deputy mayor Len Cox contradicted the police position.

"Any items placed out for hard waste collection remain the property of the resident until collected by the contractor," he said.

At a press conference this afternoon, Superintendent Jeff Forti said "it was a fallacy" that councils owned property put out on nature strips for hard rubbish.

He also said police were unlikely to charge the man.

"As I sit here now, based on what I have been advised, its legitimate and we wont proceed any further," he said.

Superintendent Forti said two officers on night shift believed the man had been acting suspiciously and discovered the vacuum cleaner, which they thought may have been stolen, in the back of his car.

He said the man was behaving evasively so the officers took him to the Mooroolbark Police Station where he was questioned.

"There's no doubt he ... took the property. Its a matter of whether he was legally entitled to take it," he said.

The property is owned by the person who placed it on the nature strip, Superintendent Forti said.
"It doesnt legally belong to the council."

If the man genuinely believed the owner would have allowed him to take the appliance because it had been abandoned, that is a defence against theft.

Superintendent Forti said the incident was one of the more unusual cases to come across his desk.

"One mans junk is another mans treasure," he said.

"I think theres a community expectation ... that if you put something out on the footpath, its anyones."

News of the mans arrest sparked outrage among online commentators, many of whom believed the man had been acting responsibly by recycling rubbish.

Hard rubbish collections are often considered recycling gold mines, with residents taking items and even trawling neighbourhoods for good finds.

A Facebook group set up for lovers of hard rubbish collections, Hard Rubbish Melbourne, has more than 3500 members and a Fitzroy art gallery has even presented an exhibition based on such finds called The Hard Rubbish Show.

Municipal Association of Victoria president, Bill McArthur, said councils were struggling to find contractors to conduct hard rubbish pick-ups because commercial scavengers were removing anything valuable, including scrap metal, before it could be salvaged.

Many councils have moved to "at-call" hard rubbish collections that offer residents an annual pick-up on a booked date, which is collected from their property rather than the nature strip.

Mr McArthur said the personalised pick-ups were more expensive than whole-neighbourhood collections and would be reflected in council rates.

"Certainly the number of councils participating in [hard rubbish collections] is decreasing, partly because of the increasing costs and the difficulties with getting contractors," he said.
"The service is less viable and theres also the unsightly mess thats created."

With AAP

Brimbank Council(Melbourne West) it's against the law..one guy picked up and old council sign and got charged..

I assume it's because the council effectively profits from teh pick up. They take all the recycable material and sell it themselves for scrap.
If that was true then such laws might be valid.

However our local council pickup (which is twice per year) simply throw EVERYTHING (working, not working, metal, furniture, glass, whatever) into the back of standard (old fashioned) rubbish trucks, compact and smash it all up, then presumably cart it off to land fill, there is no recycling and there is no consideration if stuff works or not, it's just all trashed.

if i find something i need,i go into the house it's front of and ask first...

WHAT THE HELL ? It's rubbish.

What shits me is when people mysteriously roam around and cut the plugs of 240v electrical appliances. Many times I have put something out, with a sign saying it works (as Bizier mentioned) only to find some ****'s chopped the cord.

This sort of thing baffles me.

:icon_offtopic: Just as people dumping rubbish under bridges, even on main roads. It's hardly discreet.

What shits me is when people mysteriously roam around and cut the plugs of 240v electrical appliances. Many times I have put something out, with a sign saying it works (as Bizier mentioned) only to find some ****'s chopped the cord.

:icon_offtopic: Just as people dumping rubbish under bridges, even on main roads. It's hardly discreet.

Where do you think I get the cords for my fridgemates from? :lol:

You'd get a fair bit of coin from a trailer load of copper wire i'd imagine.

If I put something in a pile outside, it's because I don't want it. Knocking on my door and asking might be polite but it would also be annoying.

Because we live on a corner and next to a laneway, a lot of people get rid of rubbish beyond the size specs by dumping it next to ours. That irritates me, especially when it's done without any respect whatsoever (eg big, messy pile).

I don't care if people take the stuff I put out.. But what really shits me is when they make an absolute mess of what I have placed out there neatly.

Another annoying factor is when they decide they don't want something they picked up elsewhere anymore and decide to dump it in my pile. Last time I ended up with a fan and a PC which I never put out.

Don't do it myself as I would rather have nice new things rather than someones crap...

Where do you think I get the cords for my fridgemates from? :lol:

Cheeky bugger. You ruined a perfectly good DemTel sewing machine :p

You'd get a fair bit of coin from a trailer load of copper wire i'd imagine.

I thought that too, but for two things, one that they don't take the whole cord, and also that its a load of work stripping insulation (from experience as a teenager with Sparky scraps.

I thought that too, but for two things, one that they don't take the whole cord, and also that its a load of work stripping insulation (from experience as a teenager with Sparky scraps.

1+ been there done that, my old man used to supervise a lot of construction sites so I'd end up with mountains of sparky crap, then I'd spend the WHOLE summer holidays stripping it for a couple of hundred bucks spending money, not a great way to get money, a job is way easier, but for a 10-15year old lad it was easy money! Plumbers crap was more profitable, but harder to get at....

I remember hearing somewhere that plugs must be cut off electrical items before being put out.

I guess it's just covering ass in case someone plugs in a faulty item and gets electricuted.

I once put a pretty good couch out. Within hours all the big cushions were gone, but couch remained. Very annoying because the couch frame stayed for a week. If it stayed together it would have been gone overnight.

Latest posts

Back