Sourcing Brew Gear On Hard Rubbish Day Is Theft?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And guess how much the Council makes each year from you convieniently being brainwashed into filling up a big bin with a highly recyclable commodity and giving it to them for FREE each week?

MILLIONS.

Do you get a rebate on your rates?

No.

Put your glass bottle in the green lid bin. **** 'em.

How much is a full wheelie bin of stubbies worth in SA, where you get 5c each?

And guess how much the Council makes each year from you convieniently being brainwashed into filling up a big bin with a highly recyclable commodity and giving it to them for FREE each week?

MILLIONS.

No.

Even better now.
10c each!

MILLIONS.

No.

So that recycle bins is not to be used for recycling my lawn clippings?

QldKev

MILLIONS.

No.

Yeah, but the council is non-profit, unless they are crooked, if they make enough money from selling recyclables your rates will go down.

Yeah, but the council is non-profit, unless they are crooked, if they make enough money from selling recyclables your rates will go down.

Non-profit organisations ARE allowed to make a profit. They just can't pay dividends etc to shareholders etc.
I should imagine that rates would not go down if they make enough money from recycling. More than likely they would spend the extra revenue (or read that as profit if you will) elsewhere.

It's theft in my area, because the stuff is put on YOUR lawn, not the nature strip, we are specifically told that no rubbish will be collected if on the nature strip. So I guess it's tresspassing as well? I'd still do it, but maybe knock on the persons door and ask.
We don't really have a day that everyone does it either, we have vouchers attatched to our rates, you ring up the council and they'll come grab it for nothing. Me, I just dump the sht at work :D

i dont care whether they make a profit out of my recycleing bin or not as long as they bloody well empty it. i have so little waste each week i turned it into a compost bin, and share the recycle bin with a neighbour.

sim

I was in the process of putting gear out on my front lawn for the pick-up one day. When i came out from the backyard with the 3rd or 4th wheelbarrow full, there was bloke making a mess poking through the gear i'd already put out.

I recognised his car from 3am when he woke me up going through the neighbours pile. I had a working microwave and vacuum cleaner that i was about to put out and knew he'd grab em straight away so i loaded them both up with a yard full of dogshit before taking them out front and telling him to knock himself out.

You are very funny Paxxy.....save them money and rates go down...haha...funny (are you on a bender?? They just raise their wages) funny.

Always annoys me when the "rag and bone men" take all the good working fridges and stuff, just to claim the scrap price...

I was in the process of putting gear out on my front lawn for the pick-up one day. When i came out from the backyard with the 3rd or 4th wheelbarrow full, there was bloke making a mess poking through the gear i'd already put out.

I recognised his car from 3am when he woke me up going through the neighbours pile. I had a working microwave and vacuum cleaner that i was about to put out and knew he'd grab em straight away so i loaded them both up with a yard full of dogshit before taking them out front and telling him to knock himself out.

:lol: f**kin love it

More on the story in The Age in this article. Just released.

The Age

Seems that now there's some confusion between Police and Councils as to who 'owns' hard rubbish in this Shire. Looks like this one might be heading into the courts to establish a precedent, but some word in this article about the local council not having a by-law prohibiting people grabbing stuff.

All very confusing. I guess until this one gets clarified, no one will know for sure if it really is illegal! On a national level it might depend on weather your council has a by-law in place or not as to whether the coppers can really stop you. But who would know?

Bizarre times we live in!

Hopper.

Gold. :lol:

In Casey (and Cardinia) shires, we have by-laws defining that stuff put out for hard rubbish is council property...makes it very clear.

I don't have an issue with the household scavenger. Annoyed the shite out of me seeing one fool in our recent collection with a tandem trailer piled 9 foot high with old bicycles and whitegoods, trailer wheels bowing under the weight and the rear of the car dragging on the ground! It is these guys who I believe the by-law is targetting! Another guy stopped by asking if I'd seen anybody pick up his lawn mower...he just ran out the back to grab some more fuel and bang, it was gone!

I remember when I was living in Mulgrave, come hard rubbish one guy would pick up all the good stuff, have a garage sale the weekend before collection, and dispose of whatever was left on his nature strip, while I applaud the resourceful thinking, I think that is being greedy!

With these sorts out there, is it any wonder the councils attempt to ban the practice?

But who mow's the grass on the nature strip..It's the council's when it suit's them

I'm sure the council would be happy to increase your rates and get Jim to do it for you? :p

In Yarraville ( Maribyrnong Council) , you have to book a hard rubbish collect and leave the goods inside your property , for them to collect.They claim that the pick-up is done by a third party , who make their money from scrapping your goods.
Now , i can tell everyone , that Westgate's club brewery stand was made out of hard rubish ( bed frames) that we welded together at a club build day. Considering my local council have just made over 6 million from parking fines , from camera's they put up , they can get stuffed , if you think that i am not gonna help myself to a bit of scrap steel here and there...they better have a re-think..
The only bug bear i have about people looking in my rubbish , is they scatter it everywhere...if , however , they look and leave it how they found it , i wont sick my killer bichon frieze onto them :ph34r:
Cheers
Ferg

If there's a dead horse on it ... it's the council's responsibility.

Don't ask me how I know this. :eek:

Latest posts

Back