Sourcing Brew Gear On Hard Rubbish Day Is Theft?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have families in our area who genuinely experience financial hardship and look forward to our council verges to stock up on household items. This is absolute shit.

Ok. Paxxy has already covered it and it appears the coppers are not charging the guy.

Found an abc article that pretty much clears it up in addition to Paxxy's.
ABC Article - Police back down - Vacuum Cleaner theft was suspicious.

Looks like a storm in a teacup around Chirnside Park, the cops thought the guy may have legitimately stole the vac it seems, and council are baffled by the intervention! But an interesting one all the same. Pilfer away from nature strips people! (er... where you're obeying by your local council by-laws of course!).

Cheers,

Hopper.

I thought that too, but for two things, one that they don't take the whole cord, and also that its a load of work stripping insulation (from experience as a teenager with Sparky scraps.

Odd re not taking whole cord. There is an easy way to get the copper; I imagine a very hot flame would melt the plastic, leaving behind the copper...

Odd re not taking whole cord. There is an easy way to get the copper; I imagine a very hot flame would melt the plastic, leaving behind the copper...

not terribly ethical I should think these days though... wire strippers perhaps???

Garage sales are still legal.. just.. can you place stuff outside as a '24 hour garage sale'??

after 2pm all items free?

<_<

[edit] Picked up a small cabinet not 2 days ago off the street.. had a sign to give away.. I dare the _uckers to go me like that :angry:

It's all about common sence for F&*% sake
I have no problem with anyone making use of things I no longer need as I do the same.

But the assholes that smashed a shower screen at 2am next door just to get 50 cents worth of ally from its frame are the type that spoil it for everyone.

Makes My Blood Boil.

The simple solution around all this is to approach the home owner and ask if it is ok to take the stuff sitting on the kerb ..... simple upfront country courtesy will go along way and also bypass the lawyers and police who love to pontificate about the theologies of ownership etc etc

thiefing 5 eyes

Exactly what I was going to say.

Growing up in Melbourne, seem typical of Victorian police. I don't think much of the commity has respect for police in this day and age. You certainly can't rely on them to the right thing!

I was traveling in traffic at the speed limit (90) last week and soon found myself being tailgated by a truck. It was bad weather so I couldn't make out the interior of the cab, but I reckon he was within 15ft of my tail as I'm in a van and I couldn't see he's headlights he was so close. When I came to my exit, he passed and to my dis-belief it was a big police truck (I assume an RBT station). As they passed, the passenger side officer (uniform and all) gave me the "wanker" signal. We'll, he's the copper! not me. Hahah.

Write a letter of complaint. I was tailgated by a motorcycle cop, he failed to indicate and then cut in front of me. After my letter he had his motorcycle privileges revoked, had the letter filed in his personnel folder and I was met by his superior officer to ensure that I thought my complaint had been handled effectively.

They are very sensitive to their public image, take advantage of it and report the idiots in the RBT bus!

Write a letter of complaint. I was tailgated by a motorcycle cop, he failed to indicate and then cut in front of me. After my letter he had his motorcycle privileges revoked, had the letter filed in his personnel folder and I was met by his superior officer to ensure that I thought my complaint had been handled effectively.

They are very sensitive to their public image, take advantage of it and report the idiots in the RBT bus!

Ohhh! Watch how you drive now, do something wrong and all of a sudden there he'll be, you'll think he was hiding on the boot :lol:

Screwy

A friend of a friend said to me that motorcycle cops are where they put those who don't get on with other policeman...
How true that is I don't know but it might not pay to piss them off :)

The thing about the Police is, they are just people, you get good ones and bad ones. They should be model citizens etc. but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Back to topic. We put out a bucketload of rubbish this year, including a swing seat, which we just put out over everything else...
Someone knocked on the door to borrow a shifter to take it apart as they 'only had the station wagon' and would like to fit it in :)

With regards to the mower call from a few posts back. I saw a comedian who did a sketch about moving on hard rubbish day and losing everything.
"My mate was helping me move. I said did you get the fridge? He said what fridge? I said I put it out by the back fence. He said 'What fence?'"

You'd get a fair bit of coin from a trailer load of copper wire i'd imagine.
Insulated wire, still in the pv,c is typically the lowest form of copper scrap you'd be looking at around 60c/kg

Burnt copper wire is a little better than non stripped wire, but you'd only be looking at a little less than $2/kg

1+ been there done that, my old man used to supervise a lot of construction sites so I'd end up with mountains of sparky crap, then I'd spend the WHOLE summer holidays stripping it for a couple of hundred bucks spending money, not a great way to get money, a job is way easier, but for a 10-15year old lad it was easy money! Plumbers crap was more profitable, but harder to get at....

Copper scrap prices have fluctuated over the past few years. But bright copper wire (stripped) is typically upwards of $4/kg (has been as high as $8/kg).

Plumbers copper is not as valuable, as it may contain solders, fittings etc (best to remove all brass and sell separately)

I have spent many, many, many hours when we had a family scrap business for about 15years, standing at the back of one of these;
2b3f623b7327f7e5f91e8d3f5dab28e0.jpg

I have spent many, many, many hours when we had a family scrap business for about 15years, standing at the back of one of these;
View attachment 44857

Damn wish I had had one of those back in the day! Would have made my summer holidays SOOOOOOO much easier!

Last time I got rid of copper scrap, (3 years ago now) I got $8.60/kg for clean solder free bright stuff the brass and solder containing stuff was IIRC ~$5.5 and the wire was $4ish, still got about 3large all up, so it paid for the movers as I was shifting house at the time..... I've been wishing I hadn't sold all the copper pipe for a while now as I could have made a gonzo tube in tube style wort chiller for nix. <sigh>

And well it might be, but I still hold that one mans trash is another treasure, and UNTIL the council picks it up it's abandoned goods, so as long as make a reasonable attempt to locate the owner (knock on the front door and ask) I'm ok with picking it up, because then the onus is on council to PROVE that it was their stuff and not the original owner's to give away.

I know that seems a bit contradictory, but that's my stand and I sticking to it!

Thomas.

You're pretty on the money there. At law, when it comes to abandoned goods it is essentially finders keepers unless the council can prove a manifested intent to completely control the nature strips. The only thing that would negate this is if there is a council bi-law or legislation somewhere that specifically says property abandoned in public places is council property.

And even if that is the case, it's utterly ridiculous since they just end up throwing it out anyway.

Latest posts

Back