Sour Beers - Why Don't I Get Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flanders reds are the only funky sour beers I dont like, the sweet and sour make me think of my mates kantong stirfry with pineapple in it. crook.

Straight lacto's can be refreshing but one dimensional, the best sours are the ones with a range of bacteria and balance of components, no one element screaming out.

I love Saisons with a range of bugs, slightly more tart and a level of complexity you wont find in many clean beers.

indestructible.jpg

Is this what a balanced sour looks like?

For sour without funk. there's always Berlinerweisse. Sour like a lemon is an easier sell than horse blanket or unwashed crotch, and with Bw you can always go sweet and sour by adding a dash of woodruff syrup.

I've only tried one, as they're not easy to come by when Dan's is your main source of beer varieties. However the one I've had was terrible, to my palate. I won't name the brewery as I really rate his beers in general, and don't want to rubbish his name when it may well be a good sour, just not my thing. It was a cherry sour, and I must admit it did warn me on the bottle with it's description of barnyard funk and horsiness. That proved spot on...it tasted like I'd just licked the back end of a horse. Funny thing is, I took a mate along to the brewery with me, who is a Carlton Mid drinker. We ordered a tasting paddle each (half of which I'd tried before, but he hadn't had any). We started with the Pale Ale, which we both liked. Next was session IPA, which was incredible, although my mate didn't like it. Next was a Rye IPA, ok but nothing special, mate hated it. Next was a hoppy Red Ale, which I've many times and love, my mate didn't go much on it. Finally, we came to the Cherry Sour. I had mine first and didn't want to put him off with my thoughts, but he could tell I didn't like it. He tried his...and loved it!!! I couldn't believe this Carlton Mid drinker, who'd only liked the Pale Ale up to this point, liked this beer. Each to their own, but I'll certainly try a sour when ever I see one to develop my palate.

Any correlation between lovers of stinky cheese and sours?
Limburger? Stinking Bishop?

I tried the rodenbach yesterday for the first time, not grand cru just the one in the can... tasted waaaay too much like vinegar, not a fan, especially for $20 for a 4 pack. I finished the glass but let my cousin finish the rest, she hadn't had a sour before but was all over it! I ******* love the bluest of blue cheese however.

For me it was a fortunate start....Apricot Sour from my firsat case swap was bloody delicious. I'd never even heard of 'em before that. As with many styles, it was a matter of finding ones that suited me once the decision was made to acclimatise my palate. having said that, like anything, there are going to be sub-species which I just don't like. Love the Rodenbach Grand Cru, amongst others . Orval is another cracker. And so far anything by Mikkeller.

Sour beers, big fan!

Judged them last NSW comp. Best flight ever! Not a bad one in the whole lot, and some very well made beers.

For me they're a sometimes beer to sip.

I had a white Rabbit Flanders Red style a couple of weeks back at the Cheese festival NSW Hunter Valley. Great beer. I hear they also have a Berliner Weiss aged in bourbon barrels, but sadly none in NSW! They just teased me.

Well just had a sour, all Brett, I didn't like. Don't think I can blame the Brett though, I think it was the Earl grey tea they added that I didn't like.

Topher said:
Token kettle soured jobbies or brett laced thingos with random fruit additions are almost always unbalanced.
Like the vast majority of IPAs made at the moment. Over hopped, under malted (or cloyingly sweet) and poorly balanced.

It all comes down to balance. It applies to all things. Beer, wine, cheese, riding a bike.

I like sour/funky/wild ferments, I like IPAs, wine and blue cheese if they're well made. I also like lager in the right setting.

JD

I had never tried a sour beer until good beer week in Melbourne this year, I was shouted a Jester King, Montmorency Vs Balaton. It blew my mind! YUM, A big part of why I am now trying to brew my first batch of beer.

I'm not going to try brewing a sour yet, but one day..

I've been working with a guy from Barcelona, his name is Paco - pronounced Parko. He's a young fella that works for a Brewery Manufacturer in Spain and has been brewing AG for 6 years. Is studying Engineering with some sort of Brewing element. He brews on the companies pilot system. He's worked in Germany for some mad guy that was whirlpooling 12g/l and people loved it....also Switzerland, somewhere else and now Australia. He thinks sours are the big thing and has made a Berlinerweisse or whatever the hell it is whilst here to help out a brewer looking at having one in their line-up. Also I think a white stout is going to be brewed this week, he calls it a "whiter stout" in a thick Spanish accent. I think a whiter stout is also a white stout hehe

His other opinion on future popular brews was a Hoppy Pilsner.

Anyway - I thought it was interesting...

Latest posts

Back