Some tips from the experienced

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what Beersmith provides using your batch volume and grainbill.

BeerSmith 2

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 l

Boil Size: 30.31 l

Estimated pre-boil gravity is 1.030 SG

Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l

Est Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %

Estimated OG: 1.038 SG

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

Code:
2.40 kg               Pale Malt
Code:
0.80 kg               Munich Malt
Code:
0.80 kg               Wheat Malt
Code:
0.25 kg               Caramunich Malt
Code:
Mash Schedule

Total Grain Weight: 4.25 kg

Mash In           Add 12.00 l of water at 72.6 C          66.7 C        60 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge (Drain mash tun , 2 step sparge with 11.28l each of 75.6 C water)
Screwy

Thanks for that Screwy,

I'll might have to get me some beer smith action. I just got beer mate free from net.

Looks like I was about 8 points under.

I'll give it another wirl, I may up my grain by 10% and get a better crush,and do the improved steps mentioned earlier, may get me up to 1045 ish is where I want it.

I got 6 kegs of various excellent extract beers, so got plenty of back up while I learn the all grain way. Just got to convince me wife I need to get my mates around more often to help me keep up consuming my mass production regime. Lol

Cheers

Donske said:
I tend to let my batch sparge rest for 10 minutes after a good stir, I also do 2 sparges on advice I read on this forum, it's helped my efficiency a bit, sitting at a pretty consistent 70-72% which I'm happy with, much better than the consistent 61% I was getting with BIAB.
Yes..a good stir and let it sit. Also sparge with boiling water ( dont worry..it wont heat up as much as you think...and you wont get tannins ) this helps make the bed a bit more fluid and rinse the sugars out. 3 sparges is even better.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yes..a good stir and let it sit. Also sparge with boiling water ( dont worry..it wont heat up as much as you think...and you wont get tannins ) this helps make the bed a bit more fluid and rinse the sugars out. 3 sparges is even better.
Agree!!

Awesome advice,

Glad I found this forum.

I'll run sparge water up into the 90's as well. I used 75 with this batch.

I may even spread sparge vol out over 3 sparges instead of 2. With all the advice I should be rocking.

You guys got me excited, I want to go to man cave and cook up now, pity about work tomm. Will have to wait till sat.

ok coldspace,.
Just ran your recipe through beermate and came up with an OG of 1.041 which is a bit different to 1.030 but..
It comes out that if you increase your pale ale to 3 Kg you should get an OG of 1.049 which is where I think you want to be.Also it calculates an initial strike water of 15 litres and a sparge of 16 litres.I don't take too much notice of this as I biab in an esky like you and just fill it up with the first go and sparge to get my final volume.I usually end up with an OG higher than the calculations.With your gear you should have no trouble doing the same.
Using the same recipe just up the ale malt to at least 3 Kg and you should be right on about 5%alco beer.
I highly recommend Craftbrewer for grain supply as I am at Coomera just down the road and use them always.Courier to you is cheap too.
Happy to receive any critisim on this post but think I am on the track.

I use boiling water straight from the jug. Dont **** around with 90*......go for gold

I'll keep my boiler on to get sparge upto boiling point. I got 2 boilers I use for spirits, so easy to do.

Cheers

Update,

Finished out at 1.004 using us05 at 18 degrees. After 12 days. Well it finished in 7 but I usually leave for 12-14 days to clean up. So will be about 3.3-3.5 % so a nice mid strength for mid week.

Tasted very nice,more of a grain flavour than any of my extract brews with steeped grains. And far nicer than any kit ones I've done.Getting excited.

Will cold crash now for 10-14 days at 1 degree . Then I will filter, keg and gas.

Good things come to those who wait.

No need to rush as I got too much beer going on here, have roped my brother in coming over today to fill heap of bottles so I can drain 2 kegs to refill with another batch.

I seemed to love putting beers together as much as drinking them. My friends and family won't run out of beer by the look of where I'm heading. Lol

Cheers

Well finally got my first AG batch fermented out and left for 2 weeks. Then coldcrashed for 10 days.
I then ran it through my filter, then kegged and gassed.

Overall I am happy with my first result considering it only turned out as a mid strength/mid flavour. I will take more care on next batch following all the previous posters recommendations.

Hope to do this upto as full strength but at least this keg won't end up on the lawn, its tasty and you can tell the AG flavour diff over my previous extract brews.

Its not my best beer but its acceptable. Couple of friend have given it a thumbs up.

Just found its probally a little too bitter probally because my efficiency was down, making the hops bite more. Could also be that I only gased it yesterday, so it will settle over coming weeks.

Tks for the tips, it all go from here.

beer2.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

Back