Soldering Instead Of Welding?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT :
is manager... is given to some poor overworked ******* to do instead of eating lunch.

I LOL'd - thats me.
I hate the fact that I cant weld - but love that I have staff who can.

On topic. My understanding is the properly done soldering is as strong as welding and applies less heat related stress to surrounding areas.
The downfall being that it requires better surface preparation and is a more time consuming process.

Thanks Chappo and Tony.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of addind a tap to my kettle and have access to mig and tig through work, but we're electricians not welders............. So I think I'll look into getting a professional to do it rather than ballsing it up myself. :icon_cheers:

Thanks Chappo and Tony.

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of addind a tap to my kettle and have access to mig and tig through work, but we're electricians not welders............. So I think I'll look into getting a professional to do it rather than ballsing it up myself. :icon_cheers:
Yeah Agree Tony is spot on he must be a boilie by trade?

To be honest Rob2 that would be a good move to get a professional. It won't be an expensive exercise and will save in the long run mate. Not for any other reason but welding thin metal to a thick threaded taps takes experience, alot of experience. The main concern for me is that you would burn holes all the way thru and potentially stuff your kettle, sure it can be fixed but then the professional going to double his price.

Blindness is not a common symptom of lead poisoning, in fact I could not even find blindness listed anywhere. However it may happen due to issues with CNS. It is way more likely that the reason moonshiners got blind was because a lot of them were diluting their products with methanol as it was tax free. Also because a lot of them (and even to this day still) derive their ethanol from products like antiseptics, causing toxicity because they didn't seperate the ethanol completely from the other nasties in there. Not from lead..

Yes and No but anyway I don't want to get into who is right, the point you made is valid sera. All I can say is please DON'T USE SOLDER ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BREWERY you will poison yourself.

Of course, if you don't like soldering/brazing and cannot weld, there is always lots and lots of silicone sealant...

:lol: Im a leco by trade and mascerading as a control systems engineer these days.

I did spend lots of time hanging out with boilies learning how to weld ect when i was younger. Glad i did, the skill came in handy.

It takes a lot of practice to get something like tig welding right, Id say if your not confident, get an expert to do it.

cheers

Yes and No but anyway I don't want to get into who is right, the point you made is valid sera. All I can say is please DON'T USE SOLDER ANYWHERE NEAR YOUR BREWERY you will poison yourself.

Silver Solder is OK Chappo. Dead easy to use.

RM

:lol: Im a leco by trade and mascerading as a control systems engineer these days.

I did spend lots of time hanging out with boilies learning how to weld ect when i was younger. Glad i did, the skill came in handy.

It takes a lot of practice to get something like tig welding right, Id say if your not confident, get an expert to do it.

cheers

For some strange reason, I find myself nodding in agreement with all your posts Tony ;)

cheers

Browndog

What about duct tape? ;)

Luxury. When I was kid all we had was snot and match sticks to put our kettles together. Both ways uphill in the snow. :p

Seriously, you can get away with weldless fittings a lot of the time too.

cheers

Ahhh - exactly why I asked the question in the first place. TIG welding is hard - TIG welders are expensive. The realm of experts in my opinion.

But soldering (not lead based of course.. the links I posted did specify that....) is easy, a half decent torch for same is not too exy - and if you screw it up or change your mind... you can heat it up and pull it apart again. Just the right sort of conditions for an amateur to have a crack.

So it would seem an attractive option for people who prefer to do things themselves, but don't have the equipment or skill for stainless welding. You can solder different metals together which seems a useful feature and especially it would seem not too big an ask to solder copper to Aluminium.

It just seems to me that there is a lot misinformation out there that makes people think it can't or at the least shouldn't be done, which stops them from even considering it as an option.

Interesting to see everyone's different points of view.

Thirsty

For some strange reason, I find myself nodding in agreement with all your posts Tony ;)

cheers

Browndog

VB is nice

VB is good

VB is better than Duvel

keep noding mate :)

VB is nice

VB is good

VB is better than Duvel

keep noding mate :)

As long as you keep your posts short we'll keep nodding.

PS please keep posting.

PPS what happened to the other GIF?

Coincidentally Ive just spent the last 2 days stick welding, I have a project at home (not beer related but thoughts of a brewing engine are formulating!). Haven't welded for over 25 years and its all coming flooding back to me...the tired eyes, the sore knees, the strained back :D

But to add to Chappo's mention of inexpensive welders, I just bought the CIG Wledskill 170 Inverter brand-spankers for $380, and its a ripper.

Can do TIG too apparently but I wont bother with that.

Cheers,
Jake

It was a bit much...... Photobucket killed it before AHB but i have a feeling it wasnt long before the mods stepped in on that one.

Hoping this one will pass without tipping a 10 on the offencive meter.

back to topic :)

cheers

Caveat Emptor - watch the cheap MIG welders on Evilbay... $300 unit turned out not to be a good investment :angry:

Even a mate that can weld couldnt use it, so my lack of knowledge and experience wasn't the main problem.

OT.... MIG Welder for sale $200 ono - 1 month old & barely used, will make for a terrific Boat Anchor. :ph34r:

Cheers

Sully

It was a bit much...... Photobucket killed it before AHB but i have a feeling it wasnt long before the mods stepped in on that one.

Hoping this one will pass without tipping a 10 on the offencive meter.

:icon_offtopic:

Ahh Tony, you take me back!

Political correctness has killed a lot of the fun & enjoyment in life mate. :(
Remember NRB's avatar? NRB__s_Avatar.gif I LOVEIT! :lol:
Haven't seen him around for a long time.

TP

Caveat Emptor - watch the cheap MIG welders on Evilbay... $300 unit turned out not to be a good investment :angry:

Even a mate that can weld couldnt use it, so my lack of knowledge and experience wasn't the main problem.

OT.... MIG Welder for sale $200 ono - 1 month old & barely used, will make for a terrific Boat Anchor. :ph34r:

Cheers

Sully

what was the problem with it Sully ?

what was the problem with it Sully ?
We spent hours mucking around with it different speeds and amps and couldnt get a decent weld. Basically welding on 1 or 4 was the same, no mound and very flat welds on every setting. I am not that savvy with the technical side of welding but it was shit, kept blowing holes and couldn't get a fluid weld happening no matter what we tried. I used my mates welder and could get a decent looking weld with my level of experience first go.

It's a 180Amp Gas/Gasless but not using the gas, using flux core wire and the polarity has been reversed.

Hope that makes sence, as I said, not really savvy with it just yet.

Cheers,

Sully

Latest posts

Back